1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Arcane Add On 1.9.02 DROPBOX

Interesting Tiered Magic, Balanced for the Game.

1. Seterwind

Seterwind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Seterwind updated Arcane Add On with a new update entry:

Tier 8 and some fixes

Read the rest of this update entry...

2. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I get this error on bootup:

Code:
    Error: Exception caught in Thread Async root loader: VariantException: Variant not a list of size 4 in variantToVec4B
      007EB712 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/core/StarVariant.hpp:14)
      0061CB9F (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/game/StarLiquidsDatabase.cpp:39)
      004DD6D7 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/game/StarRoot.cpp:148)
      004016D8 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:302)
      009681DC (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/core/StarThread_windows.cpp:74)
      770E336A
      77BC9F72
      77BC9F45
    Removing the mod fixes it. Not sure what it means. Maybe it means something to you.

3. Seterwind

If you could click run server with the mod installed. It would give more information, it is odd that you are having that error. I will do all I can to help fix it.

4. Austin JC

Austin JC Master Chief

I'm really enjoying this mod so far. Awesome work!

I've come across a couple glitches involving the Lv 1 cure spell. The first being that the heal buff doesn't seem to activate every time it's used and the other being for some reason using it by a stone furnace or a camp fire causes them to break as if they were mined (doesn't work on any other furniture I've tried so far).

5. Seterwind

Due to the nature of liqui the not always activate is more caused by the surface you are standing on. The other bug... That's the first report and I will try to fix.

6. Austin JC

Austin JC Master Chief

I found out later that these applied to other spells as well. ^^; Sorry I guess I skimmed the thread too lightly and didn't notice that it was already brought up.

7. Shinewing

Shinewing Void-Bound Voyager

I discovered that your mod is using the same liquid Id as one of your liquids.
    Can I fix this by editing the config file or will it break your mod?

Who wants to know: the mod is called OxyJuicer

8. Seterwind

It would probably be easier to change OxyJyicer. However I will change mine next update to not use ID num and use name instead so that ediing the config will be viable.

9. ZeroInfinity

Turns out, that error was from the "Variety is the Spice of the Universe" mod, since it uses liquids. That's your conflicting liquid ID error. Wonderful. Well, I just patched Variety, so I'm going to try it out now. Looking forward to it!
    EDIT: Why do I need a diamond ore to craft the enchanting table? Also, two of the Tier 8 spells are available in the Tabula Rasa, and they each require 150 diamonds. Regular. Diamonds. That seems a liiiittle excessive to me, considering that, unless they changed diamond spawn rate significantly, that equates to a whole load of diamonds. Especially when you're talking about tier 1 spells. Obsidian's a pain to mine, too, again, especially when talking about tier 1 spells. Maybe try a different approach for recipes?
    EDIT 2 (EB ): Holy moly! I just looked at the files and a tier 1 Cure spell requires 500 pixels, 100 copper bars and 1 diamond! That's quite the challenge to acquire for Tier 1, before you kill the UFO.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. Seterwind

Come tier 8 planets and higher diamond tends to be as common a copper. Asteroid fields have a ton of diamond as well. Also the use of diamond is a total of 16 full diamonds in core recipes. So I felt that this gives diamond its use as a material again.

Magic once acquired does not need to be crafted again. The high cost is to balance against the price of not having to craft lights, bandages, stims ect.

The price is one of the complaints I get most, however everyone so far has been willing to and had fun meeting the challenge.

I am not so arrogant to think the recipe's are perfect, however I felt starting on the high side and receiving feedback would be the best course of action.

11. ZeroInfinity

Come tier 8 it may be as common as copper, but in Tier 1 it's really amazingly rare. Finding 5 diamond ore and eating all of it just to produce a single spell and lower future costs to 4 is a little broken. It's a fine line between balanced recipes and recipes requiring farming. I think, instead of jacking magic's initial price to be high, it would be better to hike the energy cost to be non-trivial (didn't get far enough to see energy costs yet) and decrease the effectiveness to below the equivalent item, or make it require a higher tier than the equivalent item. Say you look at Cure Light Wounds, or whatever your equivalent is. Cure light maybe? Anyway, maybe make it a slow heal over a long time, or a small instant heal with high relative cost of energy. Perhaps the regular version of Cure could be equivalent to a bandage, but be acquired a tier after a bandage, and in two tiers maybe you get something equivalent to a stim. Perhaps non-healing spells do a small amount of health damage, or maybe all spells slow you down for a small bit so they're harder to cast on the run. There are other methods of balance.

12. Seterwind

Many of those factors, I.e cure light healing a lesser amount then a bandage is in play already. However on top of those factors I felt it was still required a higher bar of entry. Not that I will not change it, but I still would like more feedback before doing so.

I understand some find the cost high however when pmed they played it and found the gratification worth while.

I appreciate your insights and would appreciate you editing the .recipe to suit your needs and see if you can provide more feedback on the spells themselves.

Though I have no problems continuing this discussion on this page. PMs tend to be better for one on one dialogue.

13. Seterwind

Seterwind updated Arcane Add On with a new update entry:

Evocation and Buff spells Complete

Read the rest of this update entry...

14. Seterwind

15. Seterwind

I was playing around with the thought of making the spells consumables. Which you craft using mana.

You would gain mana from killing mobs, random treasure diving, and smelting things in a magic furnace. Any thoughts?

Perhaps being able to craft the spells on the character on the fly but each recipe is accessible from crafting a magic tome (sort of like how the pixel compressor works). So that you carry mana on you and create the spells you need on the fly.

16. kindofalegend

kindofalegend Space Hobo

How do you enable these mods??? I'm a noob lol

17. Seterwind

18. etherealblade

etherealblade Phantasmal Quasar

Everything is such a blast (literally!
    I have a suggestion however I'm not sure if it's possible with the starbound engine. It's really only for one spell.
    Blackhole feels a bit lackcluster. It's animation is very well done. However My suggestions would be:
    1) Instead of spliting to other projectiles it should something that once fired it stays in the direction its going like an unstoppable force.
    2) As it moves forward it slowly gets bigger the more things it comes in contact with such as enemies getting sucked in and destroyed, when in contact with terrain it would destroy the terrain and continue moving. The more it destroys the bigger it gets untill it explodes.
    3) Basically it's a deadly persistant projectile that only disappates/explodes when a certain time has elapsed rather than when it comes in contact with something.

There are much cooler looking better high resolution sprited gravity attacks from this character/mech in later generation consoles (ps3), but i didnt want to alienate you to what I mean so this is why i chose a playstation version of a game where everything was still sprited (closer to starbounds level) for inspiration on a black hole attack. I suggest watching them both in 720HD.

Notice the first 20 seconds. Upon firing the black hole it could build like that as it moves forward. Unshakable and constant. And just how a meteor destroys terrain...a black hole would destroy the terrain/enemies in a linear direction as long as it is still active. I know you are talented enough to sprite it. (IN fact I own that game, and could probably rip those sprites) It's just a matter of whether or not it can be coded in starbound to make the black hole behave like I'm describing. I know I'll be happy with whatever you come up with in this mod since you've already given the whole thing a lot of thought. Thankyou for this mod as it will definitely be a keeper for me in the future.

If you wanna see some more black hole awesome from my favorite super robot (less topic related) check it out:
    Granzon :geek:

And...his upgrade Neo Granzon :geek:X3

If you are like wtf is that and still care...just wikipedia it and you'll step into a whole new world as it is just only a piece of over the top BS Awesome that is Super Robot Wars.

:p Oh Crap...I started talking about black holes and got carried away...I'm sorry. :speechless::oops:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    Phenos Zangoose likes this.
  19. Seterwind

*laughs* I love the Enthusiasm. Currently on the mod I am fairly satisfied with the animation/damage/look and feel of the spells. However this makes me want to make Black hole higher level and do something like this, it would be very difficult to sprite/ program in Starbound, but I am always up for a challenge.

Currently focusing on the summon spells, and a revamping of how the spells get cast/cost. Should be fun.

However after that something like this will totally be in the works.

20. etherealblade

etherealblade Phantasmal Quasar

Well the the thing that I love the most about this mod is that it actually feels like it "belongs" in the game. It also makes a really good addition to any of the fantasy race mods.