1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Arachne 1.17

Adds the Arachne race to Starbound

1. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

You know, if you set the webbed bomb's "harvestLevel" value to 99, it would break loose the blocks and ores instead of destroying them, which would make them an excellent alternative method for mining.

2. pd1992

pd1992 Void-Bound Voyager

I mostly used them to clear out swaths of environment without having to use the manipulator to do all the work. I can't code so that never came to me

3. Quintexial

Quintexial Subatomic Cosmonaut

As I cannot find any reference to that property, could you give an example item file using it?

4. Mooncalf99

Well, I don't know if any vanilla files use it. I do know, however, that the mod "Lex Bombing Mining" uses an add command to patch the projectiles/explosions/bombblockexplosion/bombblockexplosion.config file. Like so:

[
    { "op": "add", "path": "/list/6/harvestLevel", "value": 99}
    ]

Should be possible to implement it directly, too. I think. I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to modding.

5. Quintexial

Yes, quite possible. I'll leave it as is, the webbomb is affected by the 'Lex Bombing Mining' mod. As such, if someone wants it to drop items, they can get the mod.

6. pd1992

PhantomsDenScreenshot1.png PhantomsDenScreenshot.png Friends, Spiders, and Spider Friends. Behold the Intergalactic Arachne Motel Chain ran by the Arachne going by the alias of "Phantom". The Phantom's Den!
    Featuring the fresh new decorum and the Spider Silk Blocks from the Frackin' Universe mod as the extra background webbing and minor detailing.
    (screenshots with and without Fullbright on)
    The Phantom's Den, the only Arachne Ran motel where roaches are complimentary finger foods ;D (biology jokes rock)

Oh as for those little brown things running around, those are spiders that spawn in Frackin' Universe. I did NOT intend them to be in the screenshot, but they are a happy accident.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. pd1992

Anyways, I'll use that building to make future showcases for future updates that add more stuff to the race mod that aren't the ship itself. Like any additional furniture or decorations and showing new weapons and additions to the mod itself. took a while to finally decide on the backdrop to be a giant spider made of the tiles the mod adds in. Also in the future if anyone sees a random npc that looks wierd, that is a merchant of another race mod I have installed that I didn't know that was next door when I was building the set. They apparently love my building more than theirs because they keep reappearing to sit on the benches that were freshly made in the update. Silk Benches, NPC approved. That'll be all from me tonight, I'll be testing the rebalanced weapons later on.

Quintexial likes this.
  8. Quintexial

Fantastic job! I really appreciate all you're doing to help.

9. TheOnlyRen

TheOnlyRen Phantasmal Quasar

You guys need a writer? I notice the text for things is looking a little barebones, including the description for the mod, and scan text probably isn't a very high priority for you guys, but I'll throw in my hat if you want me to. I'm the guy that tossed the scan text editor at Quintexial on Steam, and wrote Avali Objects+.

pd1992 likes this.
  10. Quintexial

If you're offering, gladly. My skill is really in technical work/coding rather than creativity.

The scan text editor seems quite useful, but it can't help my inability to write them in the first place.

11. TheOnlyRen

Cool, if you have Discord, hit me up. Ren#2463

If you see a Zorua avatar, that's me.

Barring that I'll send a friend invite over Steam.

pd1992 likes this.
  12. pd1992

Nice, didn't think about the regular scan for the race. And to be working with the writer that did the Avali Objects+. The excitement for the mod just keeps getting higher for me.

Quintexial, no problem. I always wanted a race of spider people in the game after seeing the original mod. Plus building the showroom was fun to do and turned out great with the spider silk blocks from Frackin' Universe (and the happy little accidental critter spawns putting two brown spiders in it). The mod is really coming together and I'm happy to be helping out however I can and (eventually) finish some concept art (Drawing the eight eyes is proving a challenge considering that they also have hair that covers a few of them). I'll probably just do sketches of scenes involving arachne technology and color only a few pics instead of doing 100% finished works (time constraints and often called to help with outdoor chores since its been getting colder out where I'm at)

13. TheOnlyRen

The little brown spiders that spawned should totally be the ship pet, whenever it gets finished.

Also there's now new lore up for the species on the mod's page here and on steam, written by yours truly. We're somewhat keeping on with the romani theme, having their culture be based around wanderlust, silk trades, and discovery. The tl;dr is the race hails from a dark and bleak planet, and originally dwelt underground in large, beautiful complexes. When explorers made first contact and the Arachne discovered that there's actually stuff beyond the concealed atmosphere, they flipped their shit and took to the stars faster than your dog goes for food that falls to the floor.

pd1992 likes this.
  14. pd1992

This lore is definitely going to make designing concept art faster for me. Especially thanks to the homeworld origins part. Nicely done.

TheOnlyRen likes this.
  15. Eric

Eric Existential Complex

I think a frog would be much more suitable as a ship pet. There are frogs and spider that have symbiotic relationships, where a tarantula lets a small frog in its den to eat the ants that would otherwise harvest it's egg sack

16. TheOnlyRen

Hey spider fans. Would anyone object to the idea of adding designs and markings to the Arachne's abdomens and legs based on the chitin colour chosen? Right now it's a slew of basic flat colours, but as far as I know there's little to no IRL spiders that have flat colour designs. I know Quin wants to make it as a series of clothing options for the legs, but I feel that would limit the design choices, since it'd take the visual leg slot up and leave nothing for actual armour or clothing options.

I'm personally of a mind that if I'm going for, say, a classic black abdomen/exoskeleton colour, I absolutely wouldn't object to seeing the classic Black Widow red hourglass shape on my character. Nor would I object to the Wolf Spider design for a brown colour, or the Orb Weaver for a yellow chitin.

17. Mooncalf99

I like the idea, yeah.

18. Quintexial

As the colour system works by replacing certain RGB values with a different RGB rather than a separate sprite for each colour, I can only have one shared pattern among all the colours.

19. Eric

Eric Existential Complex

Why not make the skin tone also swap the leg type, then have your exo color swap the pattern shading.

I know the slime race has skin color change the sprite but I don't know how they did it

20. Quintexial

Quintexial updated WIP: Arachne with a new update entry:

Ship pet + Wall Jump fix

Read the rest of this update entry...