1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by MrKrab, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrKrab

MrKrab Yeah, You!

Since I updated the Starbound - Unstable I haven't been able to play it. When I launch it through steam nothing happens. When I try to launch it directly it gives an error.

Error: The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-I1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this program.

Okay so I deleted everything related to starbound - unstable and redownloaded and installed the game twice but it didn't resolved this issue. The game was working fine before this update but I can't play it now. And the stable version is working absolutely fine for me.

2. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

Best Answer
    I'm sorry you had to go through all that effort to get it to run, but I'm glad it worked out!

For everyone else I have made a collected thread for visual c++ issues here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/starbound-and-visual-c-2015-installer-issues.100091/

Please use that thread from now on so we can keep all information collected in one place.

3. Viryz

Viryz Void-Bound Voyager

The game does not run out of steam.
    Starting exe file results in the following error:
    api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll

Tried to install Visual, and it stops with error code 0x80240017.
    (problem came only on Win7. Win8 was a same problem, but it was fixed by reinstalling)

4. Kr1shna

Kr1shna Void-Bound Voyager

I have the same problem while launching steam version of Starbound (newest release) on WIndows 10 (x64). Reinstalling the game did not help. When I tried to run launcher.exe as an administrator, I have 2 alerts of missing visual C dlls with number 140. I've tried to update VCRuntime but system told that I already have newer versoin of it.

Only installing of free Microsoft Visual Studio (for developers) helps to start Starbound launcher. Looks like than VC installer installs some of needed dlls.

Hope it helps.

5. Viryz

Viryz Void-Bound Voyager

It did not help

6. Ookami Gin

Ookami Gin Big Damn Hero

I had the same problem. If you don't have windows on auto update you may be missing a service pack that needs to be updated.

7. Bloxxor

Bloxxor Void-Bound Voyager

Same here. Did you find a solution?

8. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Are you running a fully updated Windows 7?
    You need to make sure you have the latest service pack.

9. Carterjohn117

Carterjohn117 Void-Bound Voyager

I do. None of this works for me, still getting the same error. on W7

10. The | Suit

Did you check if dbghelp.dll is in the win32 or win64 folders inside your starbound directory? If it is there they need to be removed
    Also go to your control panel to uninstall apps. And confirm you have Visual studio 2015 C++ restristibutable pack and windows 7 service pack 1 installed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Carterjohn117 likes this.
  11. Carterjohn117

I have the service pack, and the C++ thing. There is no dbghelp.dll file. And i still get the error.

12. JadedRedDragon

JadedRedDragon Space Hobo

I had this same problem. What fixed it for me was I followed @xxswatelitexx's advise and deleted the dbghelp.dll. I then ran vc_redist.x64 and vc_redist.x32 located in the Starbound directory 'prereqs' folder. It found that I already had these installed, but I clicked 'repair'. After the repairs finished for both x86 and x64 I was able to launch the server without getting the .dll missing error.

The | Suit likes this.
  13. Masked Harbinger

Masked Harbinger Lucky Number 13

I'm having the same issue, even after looking at these comments and doing everything it still pops up with the same error. :(

14. Kakapo

Kakapo Void-Bound Voyager

>Starbound stable receives 800MB update
    >Run Starbound on Steam
    >Visual Studio 2015 installation window pops up, then nothing
    >Uninstalled and reinstalled vc_redist.x64 and vc_redist.x32 from both the Starbound\prereqs folder and Microsoft's website several times, plus restarts
    >Same 0x80240017 error in the tail end of all installations
    >Starbound still refuses to run
    >Run Starbound directly through all EXE versions
    >"The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
    >Find out vc_redist's 0x80240017 error is linked to a failure to install a packaged Windows update (KB2999226)
    >Located KB2999226 at ProgramData\Package Cache\42D5BEC7DDFBD49E76467529CBC2868987BF8460\packages\Patch\x64
    >Run the update
    >Update attempts to install, followed by "The update is not applicable to your computer" message
    >Starbound still refuses to run
    >Intend to update Windows or download latest service pack
    >But am wary of extra time wasted downloading additional GB's of data after waiting 6 hours for Starbound to roll out its 800MB update
    >Just to run the new stable Starbound

I apologize, but this is far too much trouble for me to deal with at this point. Until there's a workaround to this, I give up.

15. The | Suit

In your case it may sound as if you don't have the latest windows service pack.

16. Carterjohn117

I no longer get an error. Now I just click play and nothing even happens. .-.

17. Kakapo

Kakapo Void-Bound Voyager

The point is the amount of extra work needed to run a game with dependencies like these in what amounts to a junkheap of a computer is not worth it anymore. Downloading the service pack would take me an extra 1-2 days to do, plus possible side effects for better or worth from installing any SPs. May as well get a new computer and play Starbound in there instead.

18. The | Suit

Ah.
    If you read the Dev blog - you would have saved your self a lot of time, since it mentions you need to have the latest service packs to run.

Double check your win 32 / win 64 folders inside your starbound directory and confirm the dgbhelp32.dll file is not there.
    If it is make sure you delete it.

19. Carterjohn117

Just looked. No file of that name exists.

20. Meiji

Meiji Void-Bound Voyager

I tried everything mentioned above and still stuck with this issue.

21. Kurague

Kurague Scruffy Nerf-Herder

WIN 8.1, BTW(Edit)

Installed all the updates, reinstalled SB, erased all the mods and player files(I have them backed up ofc, in another place), no dgbhelp32.dll file in any of the two directories(There's nothing similar even), and it keeps giving me the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.