Anyone siding with Joja mart?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jumboshrimp, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

There is one down side to going the CC route that always seems to hit me; when it's done, Clint will sometimes go there and spend the entire day there... and it's usually the day I need to get a tool upgraded in a critical timeframe, or get some geodes cracked open. Every... Single... Time... Gahhhh!!
    It's as bad as Marnie always being away from her shop whenever I need to get something from her!
    I always like to mock her when that happens... "You need the money, Marnie? Then WHY AREN'T YOU IN YOUR SHOP WHEN I NEED YOU??" hahaha

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

For me it's Robin and remembering "Tuesday...she won't be at the store, why can't she be there in the morning???"

I tend to not side with Joja because I enjoy the exploration part of SV and I don't like throwing money at a problem... It may take longer overall but as my character is never "it's all about the money" I'm fine with it.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

It's every Friday that Clint goes to the CC. After all the hours I've played, and I've got the "day off" schedules figured out, I still will almost always get half way to wherever it is I'm going before I realize I'm screwing up again. It doesn't get mentioned much, but Willy takes Saturdays off and goes fishing. He also goes to the doctor on Spring 9, which tends to bite me on occasion, because my Spring schedule requires harvest/replant on Spring 10(Wednesday) So I've got to get seeds on the 9th, and I can't sell fish, so I've got to have money for seeds on the 8th... Or sell fish in the shipping box, and buy seeds from Joja on Wednesday. It's a pain, and I blame Willy.

• guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

My wife and I love this game. On my 4th or 5th run, I decided I was going to side with Joja. When she saw what I had done, she gasped and said "how could you!?"

Honoria321 and Stryder87 like this.
          • Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

JoJa is definitely the easier route. I did it just to have a game where I'd done it. (And to get the trophy on PS4). Since once you know what you're doing game-wise it's very easy to make money, you can unlock everything in no time flat. Which sounds nice...but it leaves you with the feeling of "Okay. What now?" I found I missed the challenge of collecting the things I needed, the kind of excitement from visiting the traveling saleswoman to see today would be the day she'd sell something I'd been searching for. That feeling when you see her selling a duck feather or a red cabbage or rabbit's foot. The Joja way was a cake-walk, but I only did it once and then went back to the CC way. It's much more fun.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I've said it before (and will say again), but I'm really pleased that CA made it to where you can go any route you want, without any real repercussions. Joja is the "villain" (if there is a villain at all) but a lot of people don't mind siding with Joja, especially if money's easy to come by. Others are more interested in the exploration and adventures, others are all about the farming, and others are all about social contacts - and every single one of those is perfectly fine. Play it the way you want it!

Regarding the thread, my only complaint with siding with Joja is "throw money at the problem and it'll go away" mentality. Since I don't operate that way, it's easier for me to sides with the CC route, but the big empty building when Joja is run out of town bothers me greatly...

• Stryder87

That's why I plant a LOT of trees in front of it to hide the eyesore. :)

• guitardude_324

You can plant trees outside of the farm?

I've seen people do it, but I tried putting Maple/Oak in the desert without luck. Is there a trick I'm missing?

• Stryder87

Nope... dig a hole, fill it in. I planted a ton of trees in the desert on my last save. Looked pretty good. And with the maple/oak/pine trees, you don't have to have spaces in between them (like you do with fruit trees), so you can make a solid wall if you want.

Edit: I also plant trees in the secret woods. Granted you have to wait until an artifact spot shows up there so you can make a hole with the hoe, but you can fill those in too with a seed. I can't say I ever had any luck with those particular ones growing, but I'm trying!

BentFX likes this.
                    • Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

The one game I sided with JoJa I planted grass all over the inside of their store. Filled up the entire place. Then again, I also enjoy filling Haley and Emily's house with grass. Because I know it will annoy Haley and Emily will probably eat it.

• Stryder87

Spoken like a true Joja-man! hahaha

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

O,M,F & G!!! Ha! That's incredible!
                          Thank you. I always need wood. Planting trees off the farm is going to fundamentally change how I play the game.

• guitardude_324

Damn, I've been sacrificing space on my farm to try and cram in as many oak and maple trees as I can for tapping.

• Stryder87

I usually plant about 20 oak trees and 20 maple trees up by the railroad for the mats to craft kegs and beehives.
                              I also saw a screenshot of someone who filled the quarry with casks to supplement the cellar. I still need to try that.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Casks do not work outside of the Cellar, period. You can place them, but you can't actually use them. Kegs, on the other hand, work just fine, but I typically use sheds for them, so there's no real need.

But... I could easily see doing a tree stand in the quarry. And it's big enough for quite a substantial one. The only problem is that the quarry requires the foraging bundles, including the Winter Foraging Bundle, which is one of the more annoying ones to complete early (requiring the greenhouse already unlocked to even start). By that point, I typically want to have a minimum thirty oak trees already producing resin weekly, and have been doing so for at least a full season.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

We're straying from the topic, but...
                                  The Automate mod breaks the cask/cellar limitation. But it also makes it possible to fully pack the cellar with casks and run them all from a chest at the bottom of the stairs. That's enough to keep my casks wants met.

About tapper farms, myself, I'm thinking about the dirt spots in the lower Cindersap. I like the Forest farm but it's oak tree poor. I only cut the five oak trees near the south sewer entrance once, then take the seeds they drop back to the farm and tap the trees after they regrow. Now I think I'll replant the seeds right there and keep cutting the native trees, and harvesting their seeds, until I've got a full oak resin forest. The only down sides are you lose out on some Spring Onions, which aren't relevant to me after the first Salmon Berries, and the occasional artifact spot, but that I can deal with. I can't wait to get restarted. :D

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
                                  • Stryder87

Without losing the spring onion areas, I think you may be able to plant them all along the river edge (you can in the town map, plus a few other spots like by the ice cream stand). There should be plenty of spots to hoe. you just have to be careful which way you fall the tree! haha
                                    I just thought of it now... I wonder if you can plant trees on the beach?

Just so we don't completely derail this thread (which we probably already have), I[m going to make a new one so we can ponder the tree-thing.

BentFX likes this.