Anyone siding with Joja mart?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jumboshrimp, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Jumboshrimp

Jumboshrimp Cosmic Narwhal

I feel kinda sorry for Morris when we kick him out, and the abandoned building is just too depressing. I was just wondering if anyone siding with him instead in their game.

• Lanx12

Lanx12 Ketchup Robot

Not yet but my next play through I plan to finally conform and join Lanx Co. With Joja Inc. Mwhahahah >:3

• TheFool

TheFool Astral Cartographer

i am on my second save right now, yeah.

the community center was a fun scavenger hunt and all, but i really didn't want to go through it again.
        i also did it because i
        felt really bad for putting Shane out of a job since he basically just drinks even more. wish i could've hired the guy as a farmhand or something.

• Jumboshrimp

He becomes a helper at Marnie's farm, he can talk about taking care of the chickens. He's one of the few people who like Joja mart. Still, if Sam can get a job as a janitor at the museum, I don't think why he can't get a job either.

• lordvalecortez

lordvalecortez Void-Bound Voyager

I'm a hair's breathe away from joining the dark side. I seriously don't like managing animals in these sort of games and wish the Gypsy would carry things you DON'T have on your farm more regularly.

Otherwise, you are forced to play in a fashion you don't want to and be wasteful on top of that. If I get all the infrastructure in place for animals just to get the bundles filled up and then burn it all down, it's a huge waste of everything. Time tending to animals. Money. Raw materials.

• TheFool

TheFool Astral Cartographer

yeah, true. and he does sound pretty happy when he talks about the chickens or buying feed for them sometimes. still seems like he's at the bar more often though, unless i was just imagining it. i've lost a job i was comfortable at due to competition closing it down before so maybe i'm projecting too hard onto him. :V

yeah, i wish the gypsy had a dwarf fortress or banished kind of "order" system, where you could choose a few things for her to try and get next time she comes around. her insane prices would justify it, imo.

• Incendax

Incendax Lucky Number 13

Sided with him out of pure curiosity. Waiting for something interesting to happen, story-wise.

• Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

I have a hard time siding with obnoxiousness.

Morris is pretty obnoxious.

Therein lies my problem.

Pangaearocks and GPM1000 like this.
                  • xnoirel

xnoirel Big Damn Hero

LOL yeah. Morris is obnoxious, I wanted to punch his face so bad the first time I saw him.

Pangaearocks, GPM1000 and RenRenRan like this.
                    • WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

WATERTHOOOOOSSEE Phantasmal Quasar

Its a hard choice,i will do it if the junimos and the wizard wont murder me on my bed while penny is asleep,my poor waifu .

• Incendax

Incendax Lucky Number 13

Finished all Community Projects. Got the Employee of the Year Achievement. Got a Coke Machine! Yay!

Nothing else relevant to the story has come up yet.
                        Nobody in town has even commented on it (So Far).

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I have a hard time siding with Morris. Morris must not be a good boss, because Shane's drinking EVERY NIGHT, and guys tend to do that if they can't stand their job. Also, I like roaming around and trying to find everything. Become a member of Joja mart, just throw money at Morris repeatedly to get the perks (if I understand it correctly). No, I'd rather manually find the stuff. Besides, Leah is one of my inner circle (I'm torn between her and Abigail as far as who I should marry) and I STRONGLY suspect Leah would drop a heart, or, two, or 5 if I sided with big conglomerate over the individual.

• christhekiller

christhekiller Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's also that mysterious cashier lady who just looks so beaten down and exhausted.

And where does she even go when Joja closes!? What is HER story I wonder. Why don't more people talk about that cashier lady

BentFX, Fuzzyman and RenRenRan like this.
                            • Jumboshrimp

She doesn't really exist. Legends said that she's the ghost of Joja mart, died after tripping over a void egg while cleaning up the aisle . Those who see her should never look back while walking out the door or talk to her, otherwise, she will tears out your legs. She always looks so beaten down and exhausted because every night, she tries to escape the mart but can't, that's why she resents anyone who can go in and out of the mart freely. The reason why the mart can't be renovated after it's closed down is because her ghost is still there and pull in whoever try to enter. No one knows what happens to the victims because none of the victims ever escape to tell the tale.

ekksu likes this.
                              • BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

To be brutally honest, every time I see Morris to see what wall paper is available, I think "Assassinate!"

If only bloodshed was allowed in this game, Morris and his smug little face would be first (and only) to go. =)

Oh and +1 to that poor ghost cashier.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I kind of thought the cashier was a relative of Penny and Pam, who left Pelican Town years ago only to be dragged back there by being relocated by the higher ups of Joja Mart. Her depression stems from being part of the reason that Pam becsme an alcoholic and consequently made both herself and Penny miserable. That the two of them hold a grudge against her for not rebelling makes matters worse, as she has essentially been disowned by the only family within easy reach.

Oh, and never sided with Morris because he is an annoying, smug, slimy asshole in the scene where he goes to the general store for the sole purpose of stealing customers that are at the time actively shopping at Pierre's, and rubbing it in Pierre's face.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I basically look at Joja Mart the same way I do Wal*Mart.

I hate it, but yet I'm kinda forced to shop there because of the prices and the lack of money RL.

However, in SDV... Lack of money ain't no problem. Once I get a huge amount of money, I'll pump out so much produce, that supply will overpower the demand and everybody will have as much as they could ever want to eat.

I bet my farm could easily feed the whole village and I'd make plenty enough money by shipping abroad to keep things going.

• Xireni

Xireni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd feel more sorry for Morris if he didn't make me feel so uncomfortable after talking to him. The first time I went into the Joja Mart to say hello, his conversation smarted a bit too much of "We will assimilate you whether you like it or not", and his subsequent cutscene in Pierre's store did nothing to endear me to him. I mean, how scummy can you get to waltz into a store, wave coupons around, and then leave gloating?

Every time I go talk to him - or near JojaMart - I feel like I need a shower afterwards.

The thing is, siding with Joja is not compelling at all save for getting that Achievement. There aren't any obvious benefits - or disadvantages - to doing so, and Morris as a character I know very little about except he's the representation of the terrible, shadowy antagonist of Joja. Maybe if he got a bit more characterization/fleshing out, I'd be more compelled to, but so far, the only time I feel sorry is when he gets run out of town, and even then there's a good dose of schadenfreude involved.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Xireni There's also the fact that your character begins the game at a dead-end cubicle job working for Joja and obviously hates the job enough to throw it away to go to their grandfather's farm.

Helping JojaMart I feel is kinda like going back to the very same thing they wanted to get away from in the first place. You don't quit a job at Wal*Mart only to help Wal*Mart run everybody else out of town.

Pangaearocks likes this.
                                        • Lumina

Lumina Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think their prices need to be dropped across the board at Joja Mart, I see absolutely no incentive to side with them other than to "Feel" bad. Say Joja Mart offers lower prices without membership and even lower with membership. Add in a quest line which Joja Mart pretty much takes over the community and once it does Prices go higher than even local vendors. Then personally it would feel like an accurate representation of a Wal-Mart.