1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know if Starbound still getting update?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nuypham, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

CF did try to improve optimization in 1.4, but from what it seems, they can't do much else with optimization, especially since it running poorly is not even universal among players, just ones with lower end computers. making the game run better on such computers would require a complete rewrite, which simply isn't worth the time and investment, especially since they'd be making SB 2 at that point with how extensive such changes would be.
    and yes, the game is very much finished, back in 1.0 in fact, as post release updates aren't the norm. (although I will admit personally, that I don't think the game was complete from a story/lore perspective until 1.4 rolled around). if you want more content, go grab some mods.

Pangaea likes this.
  2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

They still wait for the porting to Xbox before they can do anything else. I think the porting team are having hard time, because yeah, the game engine is far from stable. It is like having to optimize something that is not even optimized, I guess

Armok likes this.
  3. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I mean it's not that suprising that SB didn't turn out as being well optimized, sandboxes by nature aren't as a side effect of all the freedom they give players, and let's not forget that SB was CF's first ever foray into game development

Daikon Ocelot likes this.