1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know if Starbound still getting update?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nuypham, Feb 19, 2020.

1. nuypham

nuypham Void-Bound Voyager

its been a while seen last update. Wonder if Starbound continue to receive any more content update.

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

I already ask them somewhere else other than here, but they did not respond to my question about this kind of thing. What a shame.

3. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I hope they have at least a small update which lets you refresh the bounty board, because mine is locked with no bounties available.

4. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I think their main focus right now is Witchbrook. But that doesn't mean no more updates for Starbound.

Armok likes this.
  5. Daikon Ocelot

Just a thought, why don't they just make a team for each of their game that they develop. It will then be a fair thing for the players of each game.

All of their game can progress together, whilst putting somekind of cross-game easter egg in each game. It will be fun for each players of each game to found each other's game easter egg in a different game developed by CF.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  6. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Having separate teams would cost significantly more money for an indie company. I don't really see not getting updates as being unfair to players. Maybe because I grew up in the age of getting a game and that was it. No updates or bug fixes. Free updates for their games (both Starbound and Wargroove) have happened which is literally more than what we paid for.

Windtalkers, Armok and Iris Blanche like this.
  7. Daikon Ocelot

Well, it doesn't have to be a group of people. Maybe one person can maintain a game not in first priority development, while the other bunch of people develop the game in first priority development, and keep in turn in developing each game. So, maybe now Wargroove, and next Starbound, and then Wargroove again, and so on. So what I mean is, at least there is one person keep watching on each game. But then again, yeah, I can't argue much if it's about budget.

8. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The person who is dealing with the game regarding updates and so on should also be familiar with the code that the person is handling or maintaining. Getting into "foreign" code can be quite time consuming when you have to find out which function calls what and so on. Same goes for all the assets. E.g. a programmer doesn't necessarily have to have knowledge on spriting or other graphical design. So yea..putting one person behind all this after a whole team worked on it might be too much for one person too.

9. Daikon Ocelot

Maybe someone like ConcernedApe can. He is like the one man army, I heard. But, but, yeah... talking is always much easier than actually doing it.

10. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Well, CA also wrote SDV all on his own so he's familiar with all the code. He doesn't have to get into the code nor is it "foreign" code for him. :nuruwink:
    Starbound already started development in a team so there were most likely different departments that handled different things. There's a lot of different factors playing into the whole process. :nuruhappy:

11. JRMC

JRMC Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Rest in peace, Starbound.

12. Daikon Ocelot

Well, yes he is. I was just wondering if there is someone like him out there but for Starbound. But, meh. At this point, I think only from the actual devs can put this game back to its former glory. I hope Wargroove will not be the Starbound right now in the future.

But wait a minute, what are they hiring for Starbound for then?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  13. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

I have heard rumors that they have hired people for SB, but I'd take them with a grain of salt (I do know for a fact that they have been *looking* to hire people though, and after 1.4 released too)

as for wargroove, the dev avoided making the mistake of having an open access this time around, wargroove is probably largely going to stay the same gameplay wise/lorewise given that it's a fully released game

14. Daikon Ocelot

15. Armok

Armok Cosmic Narwhal

hmm, anyways, back to the initial topic at hand:

personally I don't think we should be giving up hope just yet, CF clearly haven't forgotten about SB if we literally get lore tidbits that directly tie to SB itself in wargroove (while wargroove itself is part of a shared universe with starbound). I'm actually kinda thinking that if they haven't managed to get new people to work on SB, they might go on some rotational schedule between their three games (especially since they're currently focusing on witchbrook currently) so I'd hazard that there's still hope for SB updates

16. Daikon Ocelot

If that's the case, I prefer if they keep us updated with literally anything. It doesn't have to be SB, maybe the things that they're doing right now, even the smallest thing, even if it's nothing. Make some kind of monthly news here (or activity). You know just like Terraria did in their community forums. They at least gives a message to the community, "hey man, we're still alive and well, and we're currently working on this, but there are some bad news that you guys might not like, bla, bla, bla..." and so on.

I know, some (many) of us might be toxic, but who cares. It's just like a hate comment in social media, you'll just need to ignore it, and deal it when need it. :nurucool:

Armok likes this.
  17. I_Beest_the_Canon

I_Beest_the_Canon Master Chief

They can take all the time they want as long as updates are still planned! Orrrrr release a DLC already.

Armok likes this.
  18. BAM-BIN-0

BAM-BIN-0 Guest

It would be cool to hear something from the devs y'know, even if they don't have any content to show, a little blog post about the game not being dead would be vastly appreciated.

i sound like a rabid fanboy don't i?

Armok likes this.
  19. Daikon Ocelot

They should make a weekly or monthly event here. Like, I dunno, fan art maybe? So we draw a fan art of Starbound or other games publish by them, and send it to them. Then, in the end of the week or month, they showcase it here and their social media. At least to make things alive.

20. Bardagh

Bardagh Orbital Explorer

There's always Frackin' Universe.