1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else think weapons are a bit too common?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Litagano Motscoud, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

I mean, just walking through a prison and killing the prisoners will give you loads of weapons you don't need.

And speaking of too many weapons, it's like most weapons do the same thing, but just with slightly different damage. Maybe more gimmicks with weapons to make them seem much more interesting; as of right now, we only have fire, electricity, and poison.

EDIT: Also, weapons dropped my prisoners shouldn't really have any elemental effects...maybe other kinds of effects, but not elemental.

And maybe, instead of all prisoners using weapons, they should use their fists, with the occasional prisoner using a pistol or a bludgeon. And lower that damn drop rate, maybe make it so that the prisoners with weapons are the only ones that drop weapons, and make that a guaranteed drop. And a prisoner with a gun should drop a gun...

I know this is still a beta, but I just wanted to put this out there, maybe the devs will see it.

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Also, I should note that I'm not only talking about human prisons; weapon drops and weapons themselves kinda need to be tweaked for the whole game. Like the names, the names for weapons are weird...maybe I've just been spoiled by Borderlands, where (almost) every weapon has a badass name.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Exxil3d, reezytm, Volcanus and 2 others like this.
  2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Realism vs Enjoyment, unfortunately.

If you went into a hostile prison with a ton of enemies, you would hope there's something in there worth the time. This would be from an enjoyment perspective.

From a realism perspective, the prisoners would either be dead (no guards to feed/free them), living large (successful revolt + successful community building - aggression and stupidity that placed them in prison to begin with), or running amok on the planet and usually found as corpses (hostile wildlife > unarmed prisoner).

I'm not really sure if there's a great answer, except to assume that the prisoners revolted, took the guards weaponry, yet somehow managed to not kill each other and still stayed in the prison.

ReverendBonobo likes this.
  3. Litagano Motscoud

True.

Maybe there can be a prison chest in a warden's office, with a good weapon.

4. Mizaria

Mizaria Star Wrangler

I'd also like for the overall weapon droprate lowered a bit, but it *would* be nice for guns to drop from gun wielding enemies instead of the constant spears and daggers.

Exxil3d, neil_v, Alaster and 2 others like this.
  5. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Nope I see no problem with weapon availability. Also since they took over a prison I am sure it had an armory.

Exxil3d and ReverendBonobo like this.
  6. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Shawshank Redemption! The warden's desk contains a revolver with 5 bullets.

7. Elate

Elate Spaceman Spiff

I agree with lowering the drop rate. As it stands my inventory is constantly bogged down with trash weapons that I then immediately throw away. Personally I would like a lower weapon drop rate with better weapons dropped.

Alaster and Litagano Motscoud like this.
  8. Litagano Motscoud

You know what we also need? Elemental ammo for guns. We could do it like Borderlands, with more elements added: The original incendiary, electric, corrosive, and explosive ammo, and new elements, like cryo ammo.

9. Serenity

I would love more guns.

10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Are you thinking craftable ammo, so we could swap out what our guns shoot reasonably quickly? Or are you thinking a "weapon modification station" that allows us to change our sticky plasma gun into a "bouncy deathtorch" gun? (bouncing plasma is awesome for light sources and accidentally killing things)

Elate likes this.
  11. Litagano Motscoud

12. Serenity

Well I doubt they plan for guns to be rare it is beta, also probably won't use mods till vanilla gets boring after full release.

13. Litagano Motscoud

Actually, I was thinking of guns having an elemental type assigned on it upon finding it, like they do with ammo types, but this is actually a superior idea: craftable elemental ammo nodes that you can attach onto guns to change their elemental types.

---

Also, note that I'm actually not that far into the game, and I haven't found much more of the vanilla ammo types, so I could be mistaken with all this.

14. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

More common than one might expect? Yes. Too common? No. The worst thing that happens is I have to open my inventory to trash a few extra weapons. No big deal.

Serenity likes this.
  15. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

There's a lot of fun ammo types, but think the types you can find before Sector X are...boring. You can find guns where the bullet splits into 2 or 3 little bullets (--< or --E ), you can find guns that shoot a ball of plasma that sticks to the surface and provides light (and acts as a land mine with a 3 second self-detonation timer), or guns that shoot bouncing balls of plasma. Or guns that shoot fire, or lightning balls, etc.

They're actually a lot of fun, but I've only found one of the fun ones before T5. A shotgun that fired "sticky explosive" bullets.

16. Dynafols

Dynafols Black Hole Surfer

On a enjoyment scale, I'd say that overloading you with to much reward is bad. If they lowered the drop rate, getting a weapon would feel much more rewarding than it does now.

BobFenner, M C, Bolo and 1 other person like this.
  17. Litagano Motscoud

Yeah, a lot of guns are actually pretty boring.

The gun mod I linked above helps with that.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

What I don't like is how weak crafted weapons are vs weapons you just find laying around any old where. It seems like crafted weapons are the *weakest* weapons of a tier, and then when you kill junk you get last tier's weapons with very rarely a good current-tier weapon will drop and it will be *better* than crafted weapons.

IMO, it should be:

Best: Rare Weapon Chest / Miniboss drop
    Good: Crafted / Purchased Weapons
    Meh: Commonly found weapons

Also, we need schematics or a way to upgrade weapons so that they can have elemental effects too. Maybe they could take rare/hard to get materials like matter blocks.

19. Drybonz

Drybonz Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think white weapons are too common. I get tired of going through my packs to constantly delete them. The other color rarities seem ok though... not too common.

20. Macish

Macish Void-Bound Voyager

What i tend to do when i first start a new character is scout the surface looking for a likely hostile dungeon...

pretty much guarantees i have a weapon stronger than anything i can craft at tier 1 :)

so yeah i think they could be a little rarer...though i won't complain if they don't adjust it :p