1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Nosdorme, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Nosdorme

Nosdorme Master Chief

Starbound is missing a lot? I got this game sometime during early access, and I remember there being so much more to explore in the game. There were more tiers of armor so you had to mine and grind more, and there were racial weapons to craft aside from the generic ones. Now once you hit replicator tier everyone just crafts the same generic crap. I also remember weather being randomized by planet, which meant that sometimes you'd get a planet with shiny rain at any planet difficulty level, but it's now locked to radioactive stars. Also, the stars themselves. I remember planets were fully randomized and not tied to a star. I got bored of looking only at volcanic, dark, and frozen planets in endgame already. It took some of the wanderlust out of the exploration. Also what the heck is up with Novakids? They're just completely missing from the story? They don't get an artifact, they're not even mentioned, and there's no settlements or even passerby merchants that are Novakids...

I like a lot of the changes, like the combat system with the abilities, but I gotta say, there used to be so much more interesting stuff. I miss finding those rare planets that had just the weather you wanted and the backgrounds you wanted and the dirt color you wanted and settling there. Especially with the new colony system, that would have been amazing.

I never messed around with the pet system before, but apparently that's also completely bare-bones now and they don't even level. Having wanted a pet now, I got a couple and oh my god are they useless. They die way too easily and collars don't really help.

Anyway, wall of text over. But does anyone else feel the same? I feel like the starbound devs may have dropped the ball a little on this one.

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes a lot was cut, and no one knwos if it ever makes a return or is goen forever. You are not alone and many wonder what made the devs to decide going this way.

3. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Yeah and if the pet dies, it doesn't just return to the pokeball. It's dead, and you now have a useless pokeball. You can't reuse them. That's really dumb...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2016
  4. Falx

Falx Void-Bound Voyager

Much previous content was cut from the game. Biomes, techs, mobs and randomness, powerful UI, planet diversity, hell, even how you navigate the universe was neutered with the tiered progression system.

A lot of QoL improvements have been made, but content was cut. May be a technical deal, may have been a design idea. All I know was that after Bartwe left, lots of bad decisions where made regarding game design~

ladyKAE and Pingeh like this.
  5. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Oh so someone left the dev team, well that is then most likely an explanation.

6. cloudhoney

cloudhoney Master Chief

wow, thats so sad. I can hardly play this game anymore, its become so boring. The worst part is I considered it to be one of my favorite games before. I hate to be a downer but its the truth. I was so excited for the new version but I can hardly pick it up anymore.

By the sound of this, it seems like we'll never have our old starbound again.

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

you cna mod it, I think there are still mods doing that, but not sure if they make the entirely random thing or just a few.

8. Nosdorme

Nosdorme Master Chief

Ah i didn't realize someone left the team. I wouldn't consider some of the new changes bad, it just feels like there's stuff missing that was there before. Seems that instead of improving systems they just did away with them entirely. I'm holding out hope that maybe they'll bring some of them back with later updates but at least on the planet generation front, I doubt it's possible without some kind of universe wipe.

9. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

I miss that too. It made exploration more interesting. You didn't simply visit another planet with the same biome and colors, you saw enough differences to make each world more unique.

More randomization would be good. Why do every moon needs to have meteor showers? Let us build on some of them.

Vrow likes this.
  10. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Errr... You can heal them, actually.

There's a station for that which you build with the Pet Station. Can't remember what it's called now.

11. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

we lost a good UI, many different foods, armors, and staves, and the TOMES! there's so many neat little bits of story not there anymore!

i'd also like the non-RNG enemies to be a bit rarer, i can't seem to go anywhere without tripping over those little rock men.

12. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

There was a lot of pressure during development. The devs probably decided to finish the basic features for 1.0 leaving many things to be added later. They may have removed some content to rework it.

I really think this is the case. So I look forward for everything that can be added to the game, like more colony content (fluffalos were a very nice addition, but we want more right?), those big monsters, more vehicles, and more variation.

13. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Bartwe had nothing to do with that. A lot of things were actually improved in the engine department so you couldn't be more wrong

14. danest

danest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was always (even if silently) a cheerleader for Starbound when so many were angry about its delays and doubting it. I saw a gem that was going to come into being someday. But now... they cut planet and monster diversity radically, and it's killed the game for me. I have tens of hours put into the pre-release versions, I _loved_ exploring. Not anymore. So much seems like it's missing I feel like now we're in the beta. Really hoping for some massive diversity patches to return cut content.

15. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

16. Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Please make sure your text is in a readable color ^_^

17. Shadox2.0

Shadox2.0 Spaceman Spiff

Almost sure he use old forum color ^^ (black , i use it too infact :p)

Hawklaser likes this.
  18. Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

Oh, I see ^_^

19. Falx

Falx Void-Bound Voyager

I literally said that lots of QoL improvements where made, but DESIGN decisions seemed to take a different turn. The engine certainly is better in some ways now, in other ways not. After Bartwe left, the sandbox-ness of the game rapidly declined. I put 2 and 2 together, and also realize that they may have had nothing to do with each other, but it seems plausible to me that his voice and worl had a lot to do with how great the game was, in ways that it now lacks in.

20. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Bartwe was simply on the coding team. He wasn't an idea guy