1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feel like ships remove incentive to build?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garfield67, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Garfield67

Garfield67 Sandwich Man

A couple of years ago when Starbound made a name for itself I remember thinking that pre-made ships were a pretty bad idea and that the devs would come around and realize what a bad idea they are... but well, they're still here...

I feel really annoyed that I'm forced to have a base that looks basically like every ship my race has (apart from upgrades, but in the end we're all the same)... I can build inside it, but not onto it...

Then when I beam down to a planet I feel like building a base on the surface is mostly a waste of time. Bunkers can be useful sometimes still, but where I'd want to build a neat little home by the toxic seaside... :/ may as well just beam up to the ship.

Do other people feel this way, or is it just me?

Koivupu, Vsuchinoko and The MechE like this.
  2. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

i was gonna build a house....at some point....eventually. one sec i have to go to my crafting stations on deck 2. hmm, what were we talking about, oh right houses....gotta get on that, after a nap. *goes to sleeping quarters on deck 3*

3. TheFudgement

TheFudgement Ketchup Robot

Building is FUN, not everything needs a purpose. And colonization is a thing now, so you could rent some buildings for NPC:s.

Pre-made ships are fine. You can still furnish them and change the background wall. There's a mod where you can build your own ship from blocks. I don't use it though, the ships are too cool. Also in my case, the ship ran out of storage space quickly and I had to build a warehouse on a planet.

Faeryheart, Bierbart, Akre and 6 others like this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

That is something I wished for too.
    Personally I wanted ship upgrades to be a mix of functional and storage and not just pure storage.

Where you need to dedicate certain area's to various components in order for you to gain special features.

Personally I think it would have been nice if they created a "Crew" system similar to the colonization system on to the ship.
    Based on the the crew you have, different features of the ship unlocks.
    • You set one room as a Sensor room - your ship gains the ability to detect weather patterns on the planet.
    • If you make 2 Sensor rooms - you can detect which dungeons exist on the planet.
    • If you create a Fuel Room - Your ship gains larger fuel capacity.
    • If you make a medical bay - you get a doctor who sells you medical equipment
    • etc.

It would make you decide if you want to make the ship featureless giant floating storage container. Or a feature packed ship - where you will need to store your things planet side.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  5. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I used to think that way "why build a home when everything fits on your ship". But now, with the colonization, I am thinking about building a village or something. I don't need a bunch of NPC's on my ship.

6. SilverLancer

SilverLancer Subatomic Cosmonaut

I find this idea both appealing aesthetically, and appealing in a practical manner

Right now my ship is just a bunch of modern platforms and cheap lights with chests everywhere

The MechE and teilnehmer like this.
  7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I am a builder. So I technically don't need some kind of incentive or motivation to build, I just do it. Doesn't matter if on ship or surface. It is the building itself that I get enjoyment out of. Granted not everyone is like that though.

With the recent update of colony thing. It just makes more reasons upon my own to build. Slowly getting more defined, and possibly more benefits in the future when they flesh it out even more. Well it is the hope anyway, as that is something I have been awaiting is the building path of progression primarily.

I mainly use my ship as storage, and I store a lot of things I find throughout the universe. I will touch up on the shipside look later, and continue to make things planetside. It is just a matter of perspective. May not be everyone's thing, but hopefully there will be more things to do on the surface to entice others to build. Things that can not be done on the ship. And maybe add some things that only can be done on the ship like what @xxswatelitexx has mentioned, and similarly what the starbound crew mod reminds me of. Having funcitonal areas to be needed throughout the ship. This would fill a chunk of space with function beyond imagination, and cause hopefully a spur to just maybe help people to decide or think about building on the surface below.:)

madmurloc likes this.
  8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If I could get the wire tool without upgrading my ship, then I would never upgrade it, but alas. I need to mod that...

Kirumaru likes this.
  9. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Actually, I would love a crew system myself. I also mused about the thought of a "Ship interface" you could access from the surface(like a variant of the teleport button in the UI) in the UI allowing you to contact your ship from the surface of planet to call in various things from abilities and things that would be gradually unlocked as you upgrade the ship.

Stuff like:
    -A vehicles Bay, allowing you to "beam in" a stored vehicle(crafted earlier with materials in said bay, and possibly likely outfitted with custom armament or armor even) on the surface for you to hop into to wreak havoc or, in the case of a utility vehicle, mine stuff and so on. Alternatively, in the case your bay is full you could offload one of the vehicles there as a more permanent fixture of a colony or such that players(or even guards!) could hop into to defend said colony even if your ship is out of reach. Or simply "recycled" from the assembly bay on the ship for some return on ressources.

-Crew's quarter : Basically a storage are where you could "register" NPCs you could hire or recruit on planets into. When inactive they might be seen idly wandering on the ship, chatting up with you and so on like villagers(and possibly even giving quest like those laters) but possibly could be assigned to "stations" like noted(sensors, engines, medical, etc) but also stuff like a security/mercenary function you could access on the Surface allowing you to "beam-in" mercenaries through the "Ship Abilities" UI on the planet Surface as temporary help on various tasks(though most likely fighting tasks such as when defending yourself during an invasion event..... or as part of your own invasion of another player's colony).

-Support ability: Basically a sort of all-around sort of various ability such as calling tactical orbital strikes against precise targets(such as huge bosses) or instead dropping down stuff like a shuttle/drop-pod preloaded with various crafting stations and other things(like a bed to sleep in) to land on the planet surface. Or even stuff like beaming in various types of heavy machinery or other tools(drilling rigs to dig down deep mineshaft which might even reach to the planetary core, or various specialized sensor suits allowing you to "scan" the planet from the surface such as life sensor allowing you to know more about the native lifeforms or radars allowing you to map large sections of the planet. Or more specialized stuff such as mineralogical sensors or even a weather machine(normally too large to craft from a crafting table and thus assembled aboard your ship) which could allow you to control the planetary weather.

All of these in my opinion would not only take away from perceptions the Ship take away from the incentive to build on planets, but with stuff like a Ship assembly bay allowing you to create larger contraptions onboard your own ship and then beam them down on the planet at your request would go a long way to use your ship to -support- planetary constructions and structures.

Sh4dowWalker96 and madmurloc like this.
  10. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

That is a wonderful idea, solving many issues at once. Also, since the code for tenants is already there, I assume having crew in a similar fashion should involve only some new "room recipes". Plus, of course, the functionality of the rooms.

I really dig this.

deiva9999 and Ludovic like this.
  11. This has been a long standing issue people have had with the game. They feel the ship offers too much utility and honestly they've addressed in a multitude of way. The biggest impact to building on planets is teleporting. It's super convenient to get to your base at all times wherever you are.

If you want to build a house, build a house, who cares of it's optimal if it's what you want to do. I don't think we need to nerf convenience for the sake of making people do something that some just aren't into.

Tamorr likes this.
  12. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I'm quite thankful for all the extra storage space, as FrackinUniverse has added a LOT of materials and crafting stations, so I'll be needing that space.

Tamorr likes this.
  13. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

No.

I mean, sure, it might if you're focused on a rather limited idea of progression, fixated on the game's currently-linear quests and stats.

But I look at this game where they let you pick up and use virtually everything in the universe and see a vast amount of building possibilities... which is the exact reason I dropped the money for the game.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't have all this in a ship.

And hell, I've been making my ship increasingly less a "storage" thing and more and more a moving decoration.

[​IMG]

Kimmy, Nadroz, The | Suit and 4 others like this.
  14. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

Just by curiosity, has anyone tried to make colony rooms in their ship?

15. penguin_apocalypse

penguin_apocalypse Void-Bound Voyager

No, not just you. Although I always build stuff on planets because I enjoy it anyway, I do wish there were stronger incentives. The ship i s just a bit too convenient for doing everything. At least the colony system appears to be a first good step.

16. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

Yes, and by using a deed near the research station I was able to spawn a merchant that allowed me to skip a tier of armor.

1nfinitezer0 and madmurloc like this.
  17. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Yes. I added a merchant and a chef to my ship. (So kinda the start of a ship crew :p But it would be nice if there was ship specific npc's and bonuses such as those allredy mentioned by others in this thread).

18. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Wow these are impressive

Would you guys like to see objects that can't be placed on a ship and require you to build on a planet to obtain?

Oxidis, Lintton, Ehlek and 6 others like this.
  19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

I would and i would also like to see objects that can only be placed on ships (things that upgrades the ship in ways would be neat as mentioned). Make both of them feel unique.

20. Absolutely not.

FloomRide and 1nfinitezer0 like this.