1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Any one else think the lore isn't that great

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SimplyShadow, May 17, 2017.

?

Should the storyline have more depth?

Poll closed May 31, 2017.
  1. Yes

92.1%
  2. No

18.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Where is it stated that Asra Nox released the Ruin? The game at least says that the seal is weakening (Which in itself is gross negligence).

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes thats the cheap scriptors start who doesn't wants to put reading or a intro sequence on the gamer. And thats the point where the story became irrelevant when someone designes a story start like this.
    Only in a few cases, like Morrorwind or Fallout 3 was that made somwhat making sense. But this always magically "out of nowhere 0 memory guy" is seriously bad initiatio, especially when you give him already some background story but don't inform the player about that background story.

Thats also where the initial Starbound idea with the "character on the broken ship" made more sense. At this opoint no forced story existed and everything about your character was head canon.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

I've said this several times before but I really hate how they removed the racial weapons and just lore in general. Most of you probably know this already but they were even gonna have different intros for each race, but they just never finished them or talked about them ever again. To me removing those things is like forcing your character to only have one path in the game. Sure, you can just avoid the storyline, but all these different things keep nagging at you to continue the storyline, especially the "scan for ____ clues" that keeps popping up in the corner of your screen. I also don't like how they removed all the outpost quests. Now, the two main sources of lore are either reading codexes or scanning objects since the storyline gives almost zero lore.

4. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, the lore was only available through codexes and inspecting objects (which was the same as scanning acts before getting the MM right now, which is only seen for a decent amount of time in the intro; or, in other words, inspecting couldn't provide 3D Printer recipes) back then, too.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  5. Gon009

Gon009 Subatomic Cosmonaut

It isn't said directly what was the cause of releasing the Ruin, but the fact that Nox was at the Ruin before the player(who needed to open the portal first) says something. Nox knew everything what she should know thanks to Esther. I know it's just a theory but there's no real answer for that, main story is full of holes and illogical things.

6. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

I found a mod once called Starbound side stories that added racial homeworlds and other story stuff, it looked awesome, but it never worked with the new update. it is great proof of concept though, IT'S POSSIBLE FOR US TO DO WHAT SHOULD BE DONE! We could do it if we worked towards it! Also I'd seen that someone made a custom intro mission for the felins, and the Elithian races have their own storyline almost

jonathonspy likes this.
  7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

She could have come from another portal, or the Ruin may have summoned her there, as it can spawn mobs from biomes.

8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

it is indeed strange as it seems nox wants the artifacts as well to open the Potal, but then suddenly is already there.
    It is said the opening of the portal is also to release the RUIN, but whne it could attack earth already, what would be the point to requiring to release it? I think the story has just soe Huge holes which usually happens when you quickly slap something together.

MysticMalevolence and STCW262 like this.
  9. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally yes, I'm quite a fan of rather intricate depth...

The new missions are quite fun, especially the first time, but the story itself feels like it's become a little too cliché and could use the help of an eager writer or even a few.

I'd love to see some older concepts refurbished in there too, the "Agaran Menace", the militaristic and hostile USCM, the fanatic Avian death-cult?
    We've got some nice concepts that need only a mere dusting off. There's so much untouched potential here.

Also, story choices per-character. Say I have one character who is a bit of a lunatic, she may choose to assist Nox instead.
    Or a more neutral character who only cares about expanding her knowledge and technology, and doesen't help anyone?
    Or a mercenary type who helps a bit on both sides, only when the pay is good? Maybe a little chaos in there.

Maybe throw in new missions and NPC interactions based on player choices, to spice up the world and feel like you're making a difference.

10. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Actually, Esther states in the first cutscene involving her that the Ark's seal is weakening, so the Ruin could partially escape (And, for all we know, the Earth's destruction could have literally been a lucky stroke in that the seal's decay may have released part of the Ruin precisely on Earth, rather than it having been a deliberate action), and the seal would inevitably end up fully decaying and fully releasing the Ruin.
    The actual reason why Nox wants the artifacts seems to be so that the Ark can't be opened, which would potentially allow for the Ruin to be killed (Which is exactly what happens).
    The evidence for this is that Occasus only appears in 2 Story Missions (Apart from a small cultist party found in the Great Sovereign Temple). They know that trying to take any of the other artifacts would be too costly for them (Except for the Master Manipulator, as they simply don't know where it could be), AND that, in order to prevent the Ark from being opened, they only need to prevent all the artifacts from being obtained by Esther, so they only try to take the Hylotl and Glitch artifact because they would be the easiest to steal for them:
    The former is in an ancient library that wouldn't have much opposition apart from whatever wildlife may be living there, and the latter is in a remote keep owned by a rather eccentric baron that doesn't really have that much land, so they have a chance at overwhelming it, specially as Glitch weaponry is literally medieval, so they don't have to worry about, say, getting all their cultists annihilated by artillery or machine guns (And even then, this quest heavily implies that Occasus can't really afford much in terms of weaponry, as, rather than bringing guns, they bring swords, bows, and some medieval siege machines, which implies that they had to steal their equipment on-site).

11. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

See, the fact that Big Ape being killed didn't do much or effect the Miniknog noticeably makes sense. He's essentially a figurehead, and one they can essentially bring back to life to boot (pun fully intended).

As for the protectorate not dealing with the Miniknog or with the Floran/Hylotl conflict, with the former it's probably like the UN not being capable of single-handedly disposing of dictatorships in real life. With the latter, humans only achieved first contact relatively recently compared to other species, and the Floran/Hylotl conflict, from the codexes at least, sounds like it happened pretty much immediately once the Florans got space travel. Not only did the Protectorate probably not exist yet at the time that conflict happened, but humans probably didn't know about either of those species at that time. Not dealing with the Occassus can probably be chalked up to the same reasons why the UN hasn't dealt with racists groups in real life: amongst other things, these groups tend to hide until they have enough political/military power to be difficult to deal with, and before you know it you've got a few of them in your own organization too, mucking up the works.

Although I do want to make a mod at some point that lets you interact with particular settlements in greater detail using a setup similar to the Ark so that parts of various cultures can be explored more deeply.

STCW262 likes this.
  12. Revenile

Revenile Phantasmal Quasar

You know, I didn't dig much into the lore stuff during the early 'beta' stages. However with how we've seen Chucklefish bring mods or same ideas as mods into the actual builds on occasion, maybe a group of community members should start a mod project to dig through the lore in older builds and other sources of official lore information and bring them updated to fit with the new stuff in the current release. With how easy this game is to mod one wouldn't think it would be that hard to do. Time consuming sure, since it would take combing through old codex stuff of old builds if anyone has them and other old sources, but I feel doing a project like that would help the lore be more rich and maybe get officially adopted in the update following the mech update coming next, or possibly the one after that. Just my two pixels.

13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think I'd be happier if there were more official missions. mods and all are good, but that doesn't make the lore within them canon, and there is certainly room to expand.

14. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

This is personal complaint for me about lore, but it gets a little more unsavory where I want it to go. It regards the Glitch and their procreation lore, where it just says that two loving Glitch hold hands and go into "Build-a-Baby" mode, which is fine with me, it's just I think they are missing out or avoiding what I have the issue with. I will leave the dirty bit in a spoiler, but still try to keep it tame enough.

So you remember in the character creation screen it shows the male icon as a power plug and the female icon as a power outlet, and I found this to be hysterical. It saddens me that the lore didn't say that the male glitch stuck his plug in the female glitch's outlet which initiated the link to start the "Build-a-Baby" mode. Yes, I know that power outlets only accept energy but it makes a whole lot more sense to me than potential wifi in their skulls. Wifi would also explain a number of other things, however... I wanted the outlet to be a thing.

Maybe it is better left out though. It just bums me that there is that reference and then don't use it or even hint at it being the case.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  15. KennethImagine

KennethImagine Void-Bound Voyager

I agree. The story is too short... But has a lot of space to be expanded. Like the origin of Novakids and secret 8th race. And I think the intro and ending are kind of down in the game's story.

Intro is used to be different depend on races. But they made the new intro (with protectorate) just too simple.

Ending is just.... like typical movie's plot.

saved the world
    can't escape from consequence
    die
    [insert the character's friends crying part]
    guy from some dimension resurrect the character
    surprisingly return
    be praised as a hero

Wow, this is not an ending that I expected...

16. LyricLyricandmoreLyric

LyricLyricandmoreLyric Phantasmal Quasar

17. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]
    i wonder if the ruin was inspired by this Futurama movie

STCW262 likes this.
  18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

It does not help that, for the ending to make sense, Hardcore must be the canon difficulty; as, in the other 2 difficulties, the PC would merely respawn. Generally, at least none of the other cutscenes did anything like this so far, so it outright feels weak, considering that simply making the Ruin NOT explode on death for no apparent reason (Unless it turns out that it's actually the Tentabomb's ultimate form, and every other Ruin monster just spun off from that one).

19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I just figured that being in the core of a massive living being, especially considering it's one capable of causing spatial anomalies, made it impossible to scan the protagonist properly to clone them. I mean, sure, the ship probably has a copy of the protagonist's genetic information, but I highly doubt being able to distinguish a tiny little brain in the center of a massive brain inside of a tentacle monster inside of a hole in reality is within the ship's capabilities.

20. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Then, why can the player respawn upon death while fighting the Ruin?

MysticMalevolence likes this.