1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Any News on When the Next Patch is Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FoxDE2, Jun 19, 2018.

1. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't been following too closely because I've been on another computer that would be incompatible with my current Starbound files. When I get a new computer I definitely want to start playing it again, though.

Though, for the time being, I was curious: Is there an ETA on when it will be released? It seems to have been in limbo for quite a while, and even then, it seems to have removed content (bounty hunting) rather than added it.

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm a little concerned about this too. I heard that we would be getting a date on that "very soon" yet we are almost 2 months in without a word.
    It would be nice to know they are on a schedule of announcements.

3. Nazja

Nazja Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe they are holding their cards close to the chest to avoid another Bounty Hunter debacle.

Which would of course be understandable, but I still can't help but feel disappointed by the lack of news.

777JackOfBlades likes this.
  4. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Given the pace of blog posts since October I'd guess 1.4 will drop within the next geological epoch...maybe.

Boshed and 777JackOfBlades like this.
  5. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah at this point I don't know if they'll ever update the game anymore. If they want to move on they should tell us.

I wish they would tell us if they are at least working on the game or not.

Honestly I expect absolutely nothing until the xbox version release, the devs are probably waiting for it to be released

Boshed, Eralia and Lintton like this.
  6. FoxDE2

I just really hope they update current mechanics with the next patch. Every big patch doesn't need to introduce anything truly new or exciting as long as it positively impacts the game. Like for instance: If they made it so certain chests held certain items, and they organized chests so that you don't get cosmetic gear out of weapon crates EG, that'd be wonderful. If they improved quests so that they felt more...you know, quest like, just more immersive, that'd be something. More content on stuff we already have like Fossils, Fish, Planets, Monsters, Monster Figurines, Space Exploration Missions, etc. I'd even like to see them revamp monster capture where you actually see the EXP of your monster as it levels, better mechanics with leveling your pet. Multiple abilities (5 of them, where you'd actually have to choose which 4/5 you want to keep.)

I'd also like to see new uses for tech cards, manipulator modules and upgrade modules. On my old file (which I hope I copied correctly since my laptop crashed,) I had like hundreds of each of those and about 1000 manipulator modules. There's so many of them, I get that they wanted to make sure everyone got them in a timely manner, but there's just too many of them. If they had some kind of a purpose, like upgrading your mech for instance, that'd be awesome. If you could unlock tech abilities for your mech that used tech cards, upgrade modules and manipulator modules, that'd solve that problem. Not only do I feel there needs to be more abilities for an actual character, but there needs to be mech abilities as well.

More optional content would be wonderful. Extra storyline for each species as according to their lore (Avians defeat the Stargazers, Apex defeat the Miniknog, Florans and Hylotl have an all out war and finally make peace with one another, Humans fight Asra Nox again and defeat the cultists, Glitch discover their origins, Novakid just...keep on being interesting and at least *something* about them is explained.) Extra optional bosses would be great, something you could fight at the bottom of an ocean perhaps. You know how you have those space stations in each universe? It'd be cool if instead of altering the planet structure with what we have right now, they just added a new one of those to EACH current solar system. This would open up a new planet the same way you're capable of building your own space station. You earn the ingredients for building the gate that leads you to the new world. Instead of calling a space station to your solar system, you'd be calling a new planet of your choice (Ammonia, Crystal/Diamond, just to name a few.) On Ammonia planets, you'd need a new EPP to be able to survive the acid (which high concentrations of ammonia essentially is,) the acid would be yellow like Zebes from Super Metroid, you'd be able to catch a whole new bunch of fish, but there'd be a new catch: Ammonia Planets would have random alien bases that you'd have to infiltrate and unlock to get new items, such as legendary Armor and Weapons, Cosmetic Gear, etc. Even new Mech Schematics. At the bottom of the Ammonia oceans, there would be little sunken, abandoned facilities. You'd interact with a terminal and the terminal would ask if you wanted to release Specimen 477, EG, and then you'd have to fight a giant crab like this:

real crab alternate.png

Or it could ask if you wanted to release another Specimen of a random number, and you'd have to fight this optional boss, a Seaweed Monster:

seaweed monster reprise.png

which would look like that underneath, but be covered in seaweed strands like this:

seaweed.png

Each piece of seaweed would have its own health pool and you'd have to defeat each piece until the boss underneath is revealed, who gets angry and starts using new attacks.

This would be a good example of new optional bosses AND new worlds AND new mechanics all at the same time. The bosses would drop legendary tier Weapons, Armor, Cosmetic Armor, Figurine, and other items as well :)

There's so much they could do with the game, and they could add new planets without messing up the universe structure if they did it that way. It'd make those planets kind of like space instances instead of actual worlds, and they'd act more like player created space stations as opposed to actual planets.

I drew those pictures in MS Paint BTW :)

7. starboundATL

starboundATL Tentacle Wrangler

I feel like FoxDE2 needs a job at Chucklefish.

Ickura and Needie like this.
  8. FoxDE2

If they wanted me on their content development team I'd be more than happy to help them :)

9. starboundATL

There is a very real possibility this game has not pulled the revenue stream they hoped for and they will let it go to the waste-side while they work on profitable games like Stardew Valley.

As long as the mod community stays involved the game will live on.

10. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Chucklefish isn't developing Stardew Valley, though. They only published it.

11. FoxDE2

I think the most intelligent thing they could do at this point is finish whatever 1.4 was going to be, and then make each patch past 1.4 DLC. That way they're earning money and I'm sure people would love to pay for DLC as long as it was meaningful stuff, like some of what I and others have mentioned/requested.

Edit: DLC wouldn't have to come in the form of just patches, either. It could also come in the form of stuff like adding more of the Starbound OST to different planets and programming it so the whole OST was used on every type of world (though scattered so EVERY world doesn't get the whole OST.) Even though there may be mods which do some of this stuff, mods can also be universe-altering and there is a market for players like me who only play vanilla on games.

Edit Edit: I meant mods, not patches. Fixed :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. starboundATL

I learned something today thanks Jonesy :up:

giphy-downsized.gif

13. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

So, what are the devs doing right now? Are they working on the next update of Starbound, the 1.4 thingy, or they are working on the Wargrooves development, or maybe the other things that I didn't mention? Sorry, doesn't mean to offend anyone, I just want to know the situation.

14. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

external society develop starbound on xbox meanwhile chuckelfish work on Wargroove.

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Aside from 1.4 and WarGroove, they may be involved in the Xbox One port of Starbound in some capacity. That's mostly been outsourced to another studio, but CF may still be involved on certain matters. I'm not sure what's involved in the porting process.

16. FoxDE2

I hope the XBox version gets exclusive content and new things which makes it interesting for console players, and ChuckleFish continues to release new content that's exclusive to the PC port of the game.

...just please don't take those giant Avian wall monitors I suggested with Kluex and Crystal Glyphs and other things in a giant laser red (like the Virtual Boy,) against a black background with a gold border and make them XBox Exclusive :( I really want to see those as well as Avian pirate ships in Space Encounters :D

17. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the information, Jack, Jonesy! It help a lot.

777JackOfBlades likes this.