Another use for the Well

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Powerwing Amber, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Powerwing Amber

Powerwing Amber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know about you guys, but I never really used my old well much, especially once the iridium sprinklers arrived (plus, there's all those ponds).

So, what if something strange would happen to the well in the end-game? What if it suddenly dried up (maybe on its own, or due to darker forces) and upon examining it, it gave you the option to go down?

This could open up the possibly of having rich, muddy soil under a small bit of water, which might be handy for growing rice fields. Or, cooler yet, you could discover a creepy dungeon down there to explore. Maybe it could lead to a secret underground city of dwarves, or shadow people, or perhaps some buried evil entity that The Wizard would get to assist you with. (Shadow Temple-like stuff? Well, maybe not, but you thought of it for a second, didn't you?)
    If this is evil, it'd probably be a good idea to get rid of it considering it's right under your farm. Who knows what it could do to your crops and animals, or maybe even your spouse or children! ;]

When I first played Stardew Valley, I originally thought that the town might have some dark secret lurking deep underneath it and it would be up to you to stop it. Of course, any villagers you're close to (especially BFFs and spouses) should be able to assist you. ;)

A bit of a weird turn from the old slice of life farm simulator, but that mystical sword you got isn't gonna wield itself! :rofl:

• JpTheGreat

JpTheGreat Space Spelunker

I LOVE IT

• MrDrako

MrDrako Seal Broken

i like the idear of having something happening.
        But in the end, finding a dungeon or items could be just fine.. :)

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

How about this (loosely based on a song by Samsas Traum): One day, your well dries up, preferably in summer. You check it out, because what the hell, my well just dried up, and there's a crashed fairy inside. Her wings are broken and she can't get out. She promises you some reward (perhaps a Stardrop or a prismatic shard) if you can get her out of there. To do this, you must make it rain (it won't rain after you accept the quest and until it's over, rain totems won't work) so she can float up and get out. You ask the wizard what could possibly have happened and it turns out the water spirits or wind spirits are angered, and you need to bring them some random but valuable item. You free the fairy eventually, and once you do so, in addition to your reward, you can get a free portal to the spirit world built from the wizard where you have enemies to fight, ores to mine and treasures to find.

BaconBaka and MrDrako like this.
          • Odd Farmer

Odd Farmer Big Damn Hero

This isn't a bad idea. I'm a real sucker for good expansions.

Surenu likes this.
            • Powerwing Amber

Powerwing Amber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That seems like quite a bit of extra steps for a Stardrop (and especially for a Prismatic shard, since those become easier to get once you unlock the Skull Cavern). But, if I understand what you're saying, after you do all that work, you will still have a well sitting on your farm that doesn't have any additional functions. Additional functions, like the ability to grow new crops, or have it lead to a new dungeon, or something is what I was trying to suggest. ^^

Personally, I feel anything involving fairies would be better suited for a Secret Woods related expansion, especially since the fairies in Stardew seem to be more closely related to plant life, rather than water or wind to me. Perhaps something fairy-related could further involve the statue of Old Master Cannoli, or any of those hidden areas where you can slip in between the trees and find something new and mysterious. :boo: