Modding Help Another Noobie Needs Your Help (Custom Workbench Error)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by siksiksikki, Sep 19, 2019.

1. siksiksikki

siksiksikki Void-Bound Voyager

Hi! Unless I'm mistaken (didn't check first) I believe this is my first post on the CF forums. I've heard many awesome things about the Starbound modding community which is a big difference already from the modding communities I've been apart of prior. And please note, if you will, that this is my first mod for Starbound.

I've checked and double-checked before posting, but I am currently running into an issue with a custom workbench. I'm getting the good 'ol (AssetException) Error loading asset /interface/windowconfig/settlementworkbench.config when attempting to access my new workbench and I can 't seem to find the issue and was hoping I could get a second and/or third set of eyes to maybe look over my current work and see what I've done wrong?

Here's all the things I generally see asked for below- please let me know if there's something I'm missing!

Starbound.log
    The Crafting Station Object File
    and The Crafting Stations Config File

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Your crafting interface, you deleted the first line which would have only been
    Code:
    {
    But that's still important to maintain valid JSON.

3. siksiksikki

I must have left it out when copy/pasting over to Pastebin- the first curly bracket is actually there in my current config file and I'm still getting the errors. (Good catch though! Started on the wrong line when highlighting it all, I guess)

EDIT: Just to doublecheck I ran my current interface.config (that isn't working) through a JSON validator and it's good on that end.

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I didn't look any further than the obvious JSON error. So your log has this
    Code:
    Caused by: (AssetException) No such asset '/interface/windowconfig/settlementworkbench.config'
    Check that the path to your interface file is correct including the file name spelling.

edit:
    I noticed this in your .object file too.
    Code:
    "subtitle" : " ^#b9b5b2;???",
    Shouldn't that say something? Perhaps starbound might freak out over being asked to recolor text, but there is no letters to recolor. Plus I figured you'd want it to say SOMETHING.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  5. siksiksikki

Unless I'm having a stroke, the file itself is spelled properly and it's in the correct place

As I'm not quite sure offhand what that subtitle changes I left it as question marks so I could easily identify it. Change it to "something something something" and changed the color for the hex value to simply orange like the title in the object file but the problem still persists

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I'm just thinking that could be a problem though. If it isn't valid. The "paneLayoutOverride" is an over-ride merged into your interface, so you can break the interface with junk data. Try this.
    Code:
    "subtitle" : "temporary",
    edit:
    It is better to flag things with comments than with changing the data.
    Code:
    "subtitle" : "temporary", //???
    at the end for example. Regular JSON doesn't accept comments anymore (because the people maintaining that standard found an idiotic reason to be control freaks and nerf the utility of JSON), but it isn't a problem with Starbound. Comment away!

7. siksiksikki

Popped it in and even started a new save just to make sure there wasn't something up with the one I was on, but still no dice I'm afraid. :( thank you for helping me out as much as you have already, though- I'm so used to being told to F off when it comes to modding advice and guidance.

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I just now looked at your image. I see why Starbound isn't finding that file. It really isn't where you told Starbound it would be.
    You have /testmod/assets/interface/windowconfig/
    /assets/ shouldn't even exist in your mod. Take everything you have in there, and place it in /testmod/
    /testmod/ is your base folder for the mod. Everything else is relative to that.

9. siksiksikki

Alright so, that's interesting. I'm using DrPvtSkittles template mods for my items and crafting bench with titles and everything changed properly. Removing the /testmod/assets folder and using just the /testmod/ as my base folder causes the game to just crash-on-startup. Adding assets back into the mix and editing the proper files to add /assets/ in the path no renders a different error stating that one of my tab icons 'must be absolute'. I'm not sure why it simply won't work when placed in /testmod/ instead of /testmod/assets/

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I never really looked at that template since I have no race mod ideas. Maybe he has stuff pointing into /assets/, although I have no idea why his template would forsake the existing organizational structure of the game's assets by adding a folder /assets/ and shoving everything in there? Now strictly speaking, your interface doesn't need to be in /interface/ It could be anywhere really, but your object needs to point to it exactly where it is. That might be better if it sounds like moving things from /assets/ to the base folder requires more work fixing things. I assumed that was something you did by mistake rather than something they set up - since doing it that way doesn't make tons of sense to me.