RELEASED Animal Husbandry Mod (former Butcher Mod) [v2.4.1]

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Digus, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

It’s on my To Do List to make the mod compatible with custom animal. But that is not an easy task to do right now.

But I will put it up on the priority list.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Managed to do everything that was left to do. The update is mostly done and playable.
      With the help of people at the discord channel I managed to improve the participant ribbon a bit. (Thanks Minerva and blueberry)
      [​IMG]
      It has room for improvement, but I think it works now.

So, what is left to do?
      Basically more test and review. I already spell checked all dialogs, but I should probably read everything again to polish it.
      Also need to update the Mod Panel with info about the Animal Contest. Update the mod description...

Also didn't test the event in multiplayer. I should at least ensure it won't break the game.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I’ve been testing a lot.
        Found a ton of bugs and not so good UI implementations. I’m glad I tested everything, otherwise the release would be a buggy mess.
        So I improved a lot on the use of the participant Ribbon. Lots of new validation.
        If you config a date for the contest to happen on summer or winter it will give spring and fall bonus and medal respectively.
        Also change the colors of the medals a little bit.
        Also added spouses to always attend the contest, even the ones that normally don’t go.
        Added more people watching.
        Tested multiplayer. It almost work, but found a bug with PyTK when broadcasting an event, so l’m disabling it for now until it is fixed. So only farm owner will see the event.

Also made the panel for the new feature promotion.

So, what is missing?
        See what to do with spouses when you are not participating.
        Find other possible parameters for the config files.
        Make the package.
        Add the description of the new features and config.
        Release.

I’m hopping to release tonight, most late tomorrow night.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
          vadie and Moragaine like this.
        • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Update is released. I will update the first page of the thread tomorrow.
          Had to implements and test some new stuff.
          Player will stay near spouse when not participating.
          Added a message in the day of the contest like when festivals are starting.

Let's hope everyone enjoy it and don't find many bugs.

vadie likes this.
          • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I've been quite busy so didn't want to waste time updating the first page of this thread, since almost no one check for info on the mod. But I will do it some time.
            Lots of posts on the nexus pages now that we have new people downloading the mod first time.
            No major bug reports with the new release so far, only a couple of conflicts.
            Received some nice compliments about the contest :D
            Please feel free to comment which acts you have been liking so far.

Well, I've been working on the Portuguese translation. It's basically done, I'm just reviewing it for better writing. Usually I translate it almost word by word, then go through everything again to make it read better, that's the point I'm at.
            I wanted to release it this weekend, but unfortunately I had to do a lot of stuff for my Job, so a lot of my "free" time went away.
            I also found I missed to move one text to the i18n file, so to release the whole translation I need to release a patched version of the mod.
            While translating I found some typos in the English version too, and I also found a bug with one dialog I don't think anyone would ever find out. (You need to marry Sam first year and attend a contest that Jodi is participating for the second time, yeah I'm crazy to have added a detail like that, lol)
            Since I'll have to release a patch version to the mod, I'm adding some improvements:
            -Selling the animal with a participant ribbon you just place will get it back. (it already worked for meat button and cleaver)
            -Config option to disable the bonus from winning.
            -Console commands for all custom tools, no need to set a key in the config anymore. (it might still be useful if you want a faster option tough, so I will not remove it)
            I will still implement before release:
            -Option to disable receiving the Meat Cleaver/ Wand. Someone request to be able to only use the meat button, no tool at all.
            -Will add the Re-Run of some contest episodes. People might be lost and on all points in the game when adding this update. The progress of the episodes only make sense if playing from day one. If you install the mod on the middle summer year 4 it will take you almost 2 years to get the tips. So I'm adding re-runs of this episodes.

Last week I also released an update to the Custom Cask Mod to make it compatible with Automate. Also thank Pathos for this, he gave me the tip that made it possible.

I hope to release all this stuff soon.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Updated the first post and now I'm starting to working on adding customization support for custom animal.
              Letting they have meat, get pregnant, like treats and all that.

There are some options here.
              I can just add some code specific for custom animals, or I can rewrite the whole thing and place everything on a config file, so you can change how the regular animals work too.
              But there is a lot of details and specific stuff for each animal that will be a lot of work to rewrite. I don't know if it is worth, if no one will use.
              I could just add a configurable id for meat for custom animals, an optional pregnancy time and a list of liked treats.
              Or I can place a lot of tuning options, like letting the drop of deluxe items, regular items and other stuff. But it could make the config a lot more complex than needed to be.
              So I don't know how to proceed here.
              Feedback is appreciated.

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

Too many config options would tend to over-whelm players, I believe. Start with the config specific for custom animals and then tweak it later if folks want more options.

Digus likes this.
                • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

The regular animas are already in the data file, but they are completely specific. Their meat is not configurable. Ducks has config for feathers, sheep for wool,... you can’t change that. With all this possible for custom animals I could put the regular animals using the same rules and everything would be possible.

But you are right, starting simple is the way to go. I got some feedback at the discord channel and will start with just treats for custom animals.
                  And guess what? It’s already working. :)

But since l’m changing the core of the mod, there is a lot of tests to do. But it was a good start.

Thank you for the feedback.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Lots of customization implemented.
                    You can set for custom animals, treats, pregnancy time and amount of meat.
                    Meat item will come from the meatId from the farmAnimal data.
                    Impregnate item will be the regular produced item by the animal, and you can set if the deluxe item can also be used.
                    Treats can now be chosen by id or name, for custom and regular animals. So you can use Json Assets items as treat, just put their name in the list of treats the animal like.

When identifying a new custom animal the mod will generate a template in the 'data\animal.json' file to be altered.
                    The template will make individual entries for each animal, so if you mod add like "brown bear" and "black bear", it will add two custom animals. You can later edit the file have just one "bear" and it will work for all bears, no need to keep one entry for each animal, unless you want them to be different.
                    The default template will come set with the cave carrot as a liked treat, no pregnancy time, and a balanced calculated amount of meat.
                    The calculation is done based on the minimum and maximum possible value of the animal, and the value of the meat item. Its recommend to change it too much, most regular animals config were done based on that calculation. The rule that the amount of meat given is always worth more than the animal value still applies, so changing the values without knowing what you are doing can give unexpected results.
                    Setting the maximum number of meat to 0 will make the animal "immortal". The same thing if using a meat id that does not exist or a meat item that has a value of 0.

All this were tested using Paritee's BFAV. I specifically used Brown Roosters, the Bears, the Bull and the Prospurrity mod.
                    I also fixed an issue with the Adopt n' Skin mod, it will compatible with the Animal Contest.

Dinosaurs now has liked treats too.
                    I'm currently adding letters from Gunther to teach its likes.
                    They will also be configured in the animal.json
                    I also plan to add a comment from Lewis when you go with a dinosaur to the contest for the first time. Nothing huge tough, just for flavor.

The other think I still want to add before release is a Content Pack for the mod, so that modders that release custom animals can already set a default configuration for their animals. Say you have a Bear mod and want your bear to eat fish as a treat, and have a pregnancy time of 10 days. You will be able to add it to your mod pack and people with Animal Husbandry will have that configured without needing to do it themselves.

I guess that is it. I've been quite busy doing this, but I'm enjoying it very much.
                    The feedback I'm receiving from the contest have been awesome and its keeping me motivated to do more.
                    I will be traveling for vacation next weekend, so I'm running against time to release the next update before it and with time to fix any possible bugs.

HopeWasHere, vadie and Moragaine like this.
                    • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Released the update this afternoon.
                      Will update the first post later.
                      Was able to implement everything that was missing. Fixed some last minute stuff and added the pet to bark/meow when the player arrive at the contest. (just a simple touch, tried that to the farm animals too but it sound weird. farm animals sound have a pitch effect that the contest do not apply.)

I'm going on vacation next weekend and will be out for about 2 weeks, so if someone find some bug please let me know so I can fix it before that.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
                        vadie and Moragaine like this.
                      • kandykornSheba1

kandykornSheba1 Void-Bound Voyager

How do you load the syringe with milk and stuff?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Same way you put bait and tackles in the fishing rod, open the inventory(the whole bag, not the toolbar), click the item you want to place in the syringe, then right click over the syringe. Right clinking again will take the item out.

• Ensifera

Ensifera Aquatic Astronaut

I seem to be having trouble triggering the animal contest event. The letter arrives the day before the event like it's supposed to, and I can put the ribbon on my cat. But the next day, nothing happens if I go to the town before 10 am like the letter says.
                            SMAPI is giving me these error messages:

• Moragaine

Moragaine Existential Complex

@Ensifera Please go to https://log.smapi.io/, follow the instruction there and bring a link to the parsed log back here. It's much easier to trouble-shoot if you do.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

It really is a problem with pets since the game code changed.
                                I already fixed it, but I'm a little busy.
                                I will release a new beta version as soon as I can.

• Ensifera

That makes sense, thank you.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

It's released already in case you didn't see it. beta3

Ensifera likes this.
                                    • Ensifera

Excellent, it is working now. Thank you!

• Wingyl

Wingyl Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Does this mod handle JA meat items well? LIke if I wanted to add squirrel meat from squirrels with this and JsonAssets, would that be something supported?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Yes, there is a session in the mod description on how to configure custom animals.