RELEASED Animal Husbandry Mod (former Butcher Mod) [v2.4.1]

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Digus, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

I have been testing stuff with events.
    The code patching worked and I'm manage to place custom assets to the event. Also can place asset from any of the games assets, not only the festival/event ones.
    I think decorating the whole screen will be a difficult work, specially because I have no experience.
    But I still have to test placing animals in the event. I think it can be done because there are commands to this. I think I will have problems with pets.
    Does anyone remember an event with pets besides the one Marine gives it to you?

lexiejetts and HopeWasHere like this.
    • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Placing animals and pets in events work just fine.
      Now it's just a matter of code, writing and design.
      I will take things slow for now because I'm a little burned out from last release.
      Yesterday I was also trying to draw a first price ribbon, but had no success, its really difficult to do in 16x16 pixels. I changed it to a medal and its looking ok.

The way I'm planning to make the player choose the animal is like this:
      The day before the event Mayor Lewis will send an item. This item will work like a tool.
      The player will use this tool on a animal and it will be flagged to the events next day. It will be shown on the query menu if animal is selected. Players can use the tool on another animal to change which animal will participate.
      At the end of the day, this tool will be removed from inventory.
      I was doing to make it look like a contender ribbon, but given my inability to draw a ribbon, I'm still to decide what it will look like.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
        lexiejetts and HopeWasHere like this.
      • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Stauts:
        [​IMG]

These are my first attempt for the new assets.
        I manage to make a contender ribbon that don't look terrible.
        I think the medals are looking nice. They won't be items, but will be shown on the animal query menu to indicate that the animal has won. The green and pink is for spring and the orange and gold for fall.

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Last week I changed the Participant Ribbon a bit, changed its color and the bottom design. When I tied it in game I was not happy if the color pallet. It seems off. Later I will post a picture for some feedback.
          In the weekend I went back to coding and made some nice progress. You can already use the Ribbon on animals and Pets, it will set the animal to participate on the next contest. Made it show the information on the query menu.
          You will be able to get the Ribbon back to choose another animal if the contest has not happened, but I didn't code it yet.
          I also don't know how to do something similar with pets. They don't have a query menu, so for now if you choose a pet you can't change it.

People also reported a conflict with Longevity mod. I already solved it but didn't have time to release a new version with it.
          I'm also solving some error logs with dinosaur and custom animals. They were not breaking anything, but I will remove the unnecessary errors.

HopeWasHere likes this.
          • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Released a minor update to fix the reported problems. There should be no more error in the logs for custom animals and the dinosaurs. There was a lot of things I was not checking.

As I said before, here is the Participant Ribbon in game:
            [​IMG]
            It seems faded.
            The inspiration were this images: https://www.google.com.br/search?q=...6NbZAhWCipAKHavgA7YQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=966
            But I did not get the color right, so any feed back with the color pallet is appreciated.

HopeWasHere likes this.
            • farmerjack

farmerjack Void-Bound Voyager

Hey, @Digus, this is beautiful! My only suggestion would be to add a bit of that "shine" that other Stardew items have, like the light is hitting them from one direction or another. I think it would help give the ribbon some depth.

Digus likes this.
              • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for the tip, I will try to do that. It's difficult to do with the bottom part because its so thin, and top part has all this dots to make the outer circle. But you are right, that is probably what I'm finding odd about the item.

farmerjack likes this.
                • valoodx

valoodx Void-Bound Voyager

You sir! created a must have mod on stardew valley! I was always was baffled on why there wasn't any meat on farming games like harvest moon, especially since im a huge meat lover, but you made my day! started playing stardew valley again when a friend recommended me your mod and huge thanks you! cant wait the day you add ribs on the game hahah! :D, would it be possible to add a butcher store on the game aswell?

Digus likes this.
                  • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Thanks! Comments like yours is what make doing this worth it!

I'm enjoying learning how to mod different things. But I'm going from the simple ones to the more advanced. Ribs are a long tern plan. But a butcher store is not something I plan to do. But maybe in the future I want to learn map modding, I could do something like that.

HopeWasHere and valoodx like this.
                    • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

I've dabbled in adding new NPCs and stores, a butcher shop does sound cool. If you ever want to collaborate let me know :)

Digus likes this.
                      • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

The problem with the butcher shop is what to do with it.
                        In the game you don't buy what you produce, that is the whole point of the game, so it would not make sense to sell meat.
                        Instead of receive the tools through mail, the butcher mod could sell them. But that would be it.
                        If the mod were in a more advanced state, with more meat parts and stuff, we could have to upgrade the tools, to get different meat parts from animals. So the butcher would work like Clint.
                        But still, it would not be enough to justify so much work.
                        I avoided going this route because as it seems, meat is a little niche for mod users. And there is so much to do with animals as a whole that could attract more people, that I'm preferring working that way.
                        And stuff like insemination and faster growth were really a necessity to make rising animals for meat a viable option.

But I'm definitely open to collaboration.
                        If you have ideas on how to make a butcher shop and npc as an add-on to the Animal Husbandry Mod, it would be really nice. I could code methods and stuff as necessary, to make the integration possible.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                        • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

You're right, a butcher shop really only makes sense in a mod where meat exists but the players can't generate it themselves. I'll keep thinking about it and see if I come up with anything. This is a fantastic mod, and I have loved all of the new content it has added to the game, please keep up the great work!

Digus likes this.
                          • Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Well, I remember people asking for that. To be able to buy meat and use for recipes, without necessarily having to get it from the animals.

HopeWasHere likes this.
                            • Midnyght

Midnyght Orbital Explorer

I love this mod so so much! When am I supposed to get the inseminator? I’ve gotten the first barn upgrade and coop update but no inseminator mail. I am using Longevity, is this the error you referred to above? Or do I need another upgrade?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Someone reported a delay on receiving the mail if you upgrade the barn to deluxe just after completing the big barn. You need to have a valid barn not being upgraded with animal in it during the begin of a day, it's when the mod check for new mails.
                                If you only had coops, it would need to be deluxe.
                                If some how you still do not get the insemination syringe, change the config file to have a Spawn key for the insemination syringe. This way you can add it directly to your inventory.
                                If you get errors in the SMAPI log, please report.

• Midnyght

Hm strange, I have Big Barn with two cows and chickens and ducks in the coop and it’s been a few days during the first winter, no syringe. I’ll try manually adding, thanks!

• Midnyght

Got the letter when I changed AddInseminatorSyringeToInventoryKey to true!

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

That is really weird. You are not even suppose to change it to true, you should put something like "K", and when you press K in game it adds the syringe to your inventory.
                                      Was it the first time you restarted the game after meeting the condition?

• bluphino

bluphino Void-Bound Voyager

Is there a way to add custom crops in as treats?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

Yes, but you need to know its id.
                                          Just edit the animals.json file and add the id to the list of liked treats.
                                          You can also add a whole category using negative values.