Ancient Seed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spyflower, Mar 8, 2016.

1. spyflower

spyflower Space Hobo

Hi I'm just wondering where everyone is finding their ancient seed(s)

I'm about halfway through spring year 3 and have yet to find a single one, even tho I dig up all the worms//spend a lot of time in the mines. Is there anywhere specific I should look? I'd really like ancient fruit by next winter.

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Worms around the forest south of your farm and the mountain area where Robin has her Carpentry shop. Keep digging up worms, it sounds like you're just getting incredibly unlucky.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

... Probably not.

Mostly RNG based type of thing...

However there is an alternate thing you could try as well. The seed maker thingy. You will have a chance to get one from that with any other crop supposedly.

That is beyond what you are already doing, since those methods are bout right... Found mine in the mines.

• Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

I dug one up on one of the mine's soft earth patches. Guess I'm lucky?

• Afterscore

This is true, it's a hilariously small chance but still a chance all the same (0.5% or something).

I've found about four Ancient Seed artifacts so far, none of them in the Mines but it sounds like that might be worth some time too.
            Edit- What floors in the mines, guys?

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I was just between 30-35, as it was my last run I did. I am only on year 1 winter. dropped from one of the crate like things oddly enough. pesky bats... At least those are easier to deal with then the flies... :nurutease:

So I am not very far into the game. I haven't even hardly began fishing. lol
              I guess I just got lucky I guess. Never saw one before, and today seen a few posts about it. :nuruhappy:
              going to save that seed for when I get the greenhouse going, or at least out of winter, and when I get the seed maker thing.

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

EDIT: Derp, I forgot how I got mine, lol.

Anyways.

Just keep trying and you'll eventually get one.

Wiki claims 5% chance of getting one from digging in Forest or Mountain.

• spyflower

spyflower Space Hobo

So what I'm getting is that the seeds can drop from most things in the mine and the worms in the mountain area :x
                  Basically, RNG just hates me because that's what I tend to spend all my farmer's spare time doing because I like killing monsters... :(

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

You sure it has to be worms, and not just dug anywhere? I dunno about other seasons, but I've gotten quite a few items in the Winter by just digging randomly anywhere, worms or no worms. AFAIK, worms are just a "100% chance there's an item on this tile" kinda deal.

• Afterscore

There are only certain spots you can dig anyway. The Beach for example, The Quarry and a few spots in the Cindersap Forest. You can't mash your hoe everywhere.

You can still find things in tilled dirt it's just so unlikely that sometimes the time spent doing so isn't worth it when you could be looking for worms or digging in the mines.

• spyflower

spyflower Space Hobo

Yeah for the past 4 in game days I've been digging in the soft soil in the mines and killing the bugs in the lower floors, still nothing. I'll keep trying tho >.>

• Edge!

Edge! Subatomic Cosmonaut

5-20, I don't remember too well. I'm on spring 17 of year 1. I guess it's not tied by mine levels as the other guy got it on 30-35 (and on a barrel instead of soil)

• spyflower

spyflower Space Hobo

This item sounds like it has a hilariously common droprate and yet ???????

• Afterscore

Well, it really doesn't. As with all Artifacts it has an approximate drop rate of 1%. When you hack at worms the game generates whether those worms contain resources, foraged items or an Artifact. If it was loaded as an Artifact tile it then randomly selects an Artifact from the drop table that corresponds to where the worms are, in this case you want an Ancient Seed which only has a 1% chance to drop after the game has defined the tile as an Artifact tile (which is itself rarer than a regular worm tile).

Edit- Similar maths involved with any other method of obtaining Artifacts.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

hilariously as in capricious maybe... RNG is such a beauty at that. :nurutease:

• scoutcc15

scoutcc15 Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's actually not a small chance at all. Given that the seed maker makes seeds fast, and if you have a few of them you can process 100s of crops into seeds fairly quickly, it's as close to a surefire way of getting the ancient seed as you can get.

• spyflower

spyflower Space Hobo

Yeah, in my current farming session, I've found 5-6 unique artifacts and several repeats, none of which were the seed :p

...game pls...

• spyflower

spyflower Space Hobo

Now, does this give you a seed packet OR the seed? Because I still need the artifact seed for the museum either way.

• Afterscore

In terms of the numbers, it's a small chance. It's 0.5% and it doesn't stack. Sure, if you feed it enough crops it will spit one out but the same can be said for tilling the ground. The entire reason you need to process 100s of crops is because the actual chance is low.

I haven't used the seed maker myself but given that its function is to spit out seeds that are usable to plant, I would be confident in suggesting that it won't give you the artifact but instead the actual seed packet you use to plant.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

oh... that's right... so no the seed maker thing will not be good for that then... as it will be seed packet, or so was said. In other words planting right off the bat. so you can scratch that off if you are looking for the actual artifact... As the seed thingy only does for more harvest and planting a specific product.