1. These forums have moved. You can find the community for Lenna's Inception on Reddit or joining the developers on Discord.

Analysis of Zelda dungeon designs...

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Chekr, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Chekr

Chekr Intergalactic Tourist

I just thought I'd share this. Mark Brown over on YouTube has been making an analysis of the dungeon designs from the Zelda games. Particularly the latest one caught my eye where he makes a kind of "puzzle map" to explain the progression through dungeons.

Looking at that, I started thinking of procedural ways to generate good dungeons, and of course immediately thought of Lenna's Inception.

I thought they might be worth a watch and hopefully provide some inspiration.

Not to criticize this game in any way. : )

• tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

Interesting video!

I read a similar article on gamasutra analysing level design in the Legend of Zelda back when I started Lenna's Inception. That article gave me some of the ideas I needed in order to procedurally generate the dungeons.

I've also written about how it works in Lenna's Inception (for the overworld generator, but the part about lock and key puzzles is the same in both dungeons and the overworld).