1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

An Observation I made

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Shark, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, So I was watching Pedguin's "Starbound- World Generation and Exploration" video (for about the 50th time) and I noticed something.

In two of the screen shots, it can be seen that the player has no items in their inventory/toolbar. I thought that those pictures might be screen shots from the begging of the game, meaning, that you start of with nothing.
    I really like that idea, of starting off with nothing. Humble beginnings are always the best.
    Like in Metroid, when you start off with nothing, then stumble upon a morph ball.
    Or in a Pokemon game- starting with one little Lv.5 Pokemon and then turning into an Amazing Player.

It even disappointed me, that in terraria, you start off with a sword, pickaxe, etc.
    So, yeah, it's kinda something stupid to get excited about, but it just strengthened my excitment for this game.
    Keep up the good stuff, devs.

Rex and GameGecko like this.
  2. Sonicrider3 (riddler)

Sonicrider3 (riddler) Big Damn Hero

Yes THIS WOULD BE AWESOME :D

so your saying that you have to find some items and use those or somethin like that,right?

3. Drewdawg

Drewdawg Big Damn Hero

Ohh nice observation. It could also just be a quest or something but it sounds really nice :)

4. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Well given something like Terraria, you would need to start with an axe at least or you'd never be able to chop down trees to make ANY of the basic gear to even get started.

Starting with nothing works in some games (Minecraft for example) but not in others. I'm going to sit on the fence on this one and say we ought to wait and see how Starbound turns out in those terms.

5. Pedguin

Pedguin Big Damn Hero

Just something I want to point out, two different designs, which looks better and why? Also maybe changing is optional? Maybe you can find different bag packs ect? IDEAS GO!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sonicrider3 (riddler)

i like them both the same since they both look cool.....pedguin i know you will go crazy if there was a king of the penguins character

7. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I prefer the first one, personally.

Feels like the inventory and the money count are spaced out and not squashed together.

edit-
    BUT I love the health bar on the second one.

8. karatepig123

karatepig123 Space Spelunker

That
    That makes a lot sense. It may just be a customizable function since we know so much about how you can customize a lot of stuff.
    Also, see in the first picture there is 9999999 money and in the second picture there is 9703 money 0.o

9. Deraekan

Deraekan Void-Bound Voyager

I like the first one. Like Afterscore said: the second one looks cramped and the inventory is too far away from the health bar.

10. Pedguin

Pedguin Big Damn Hero

Another comparison, would you guys like me to make a new thread?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Sonicrider3 (riddler)

that would be a smart idea to make
    ya it would be a great idea to make a new thread u should go do that

12. photostyle

photostyle The Old One

So you're a fan of punching trees, then? :p

13. Atlas

Atlas Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the first shown toolbar, but I like the second menu.

14. Ryss

Ryss Void-Bound Voyager

Lichen the first hotbar, the second Health Bar, and the second inventory screen.

15. Wow, Look at all the different combinations of items there will be!

16. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

It also seems that the snowman from Terraria's Christmas Update is on the left.

17. That actually looks exactly like the snowman from Terraria...:p

18. Brain Maniac

Brain Maniac Industrial Terraformer

I'd really like to start with nothing... but when you reach certain stage on the game (ie: getting a space ship) you should be able to choose wether to start with nothing again, or from start-to-mid game (ie: having default guns, and equipment), when making a new save file :D

19. Syris

Syris Cosmic Narwhal

Two things, about the comparisons.
    1: It could be they posted one set of those before, and one set after. Or...
    2: They could have options, depending on which display you want, letting YOU choose!

Brain Maniac likes this.
  20. GameGecko

GameGecko Cosmic Narwhal

Looking at the pictures i sense dual wielding, don't know why ;P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.