1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ammo

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kohjix, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kohjix

Kohjix Star Wrangler

I heard that Starbound will consist of battery powered weapons, but does that mean all ammo is excluded besides charging? Even then, will the battery used in the weaponry have a universal use? Or would we need to crowd inventory space with several different batteries?
    Sorry if this was already discussed :) just curious!
    What do you think?

2. Haunt

Haunt Pangalactic Porcupine

Considering the variety of weapons promised, I think we'll see more than batteries.

3. Razmos

Razmos Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps the main type of weapon would be battery powered, but that doesn't rule out the possibility of using 'retro' weapons if you see fit, i guess, providing you have the knowledge and materials.

(Say for example, you find a crashed space shuttle from Earth, one of the corpses has a handgun and some bullets, you use this to design your own guns)

4. Haunt

Haunt Pangalactic Porcupine

Each planet would probably provide something different for weaponcrafting.
    You can't just go around finding electricity everywhere

Anthony Williamson likes this.
  5. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

lol ammo. My gun is solar powered!

tps_SurvivoR likes this.
  6. tps_SurvivoR

tps_SurvivoR Master Chief

Solar eclipe!
    You just got owned! :speechless:

7. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

Forget using ''resources'' to power my ''weapon''. I'll use my mind to throw heavy objects, thank you. But really, I think having too many ammunition types will make the game much too confusing, so while I think having something other than energy to power weapons is necessary, there needs to be a limit in that regard.

8. knarfc

knarfc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe i hope they have a good system.(my consciene says that the game will have a great everything and it also says im an idiot, so you never no whats true and whats not.)

9. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

You can't make a shotgun battery powered now can you?

10. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.

11. awsumpawsum

awsumpawsum Void-Bound Voyager

Battery powered= shoots lazers??? If not than obviously there is ammo because the battery would only apply to the firing mechanism :speechless:?!??

12. Vladplaya

Vladplaya Cosmic Narwhal

I would like to see real ammo and different types of it, the game already gonna have so much variety, why not give us different type of ammo that effect different creatures in different ways. Say have electrical shock rockets, corrosive poisons missiles, armor piercing bullets, incendiary ammunition etc. It would be awesome to craft those and then use them on specific planets and creatures, it will make player prepare for a trip to certain areas and just give more variety and depth to the game and weapons in it.

13. Nomicakes

Nomicakes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

All I know is, my weapon-based plans are going to require several planets, to find sufficient quantities of tungsten, thorium, carbon, iron, trace elements of other metals and rare earths for the circuity, and a large supply of geothermal energy.... oh, and alot of water.

As for the ammo, see above statement. them thorium-threaded crossbow bolts aren't going to make themselves.

14. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Wooden bullets. If silver bullets kill un-natural things, wouldn't wood do the opposite?

Anthony Williamson likes this.
  15. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would Really love Elemental Grenades and Special grenades for some sort of grenade launcher. Especially Plague Grenades.

16. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

Yes, it would be a shame if they don't take full advantage of the procedural generation with everything.
    Having just a few types of ammo would be just a let down for me... But Chucklefish aren't going to let me down are they? o_O
    ARE THEY????

17. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

This could be solved by storing the ammo WITH the gun, and not as its own entity. Perhaps making more at the space station? The pattern would also come with the one for the weapon...

18. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Wooden bullets, now that sounds as funny as it's interesting, although you'd probably need the right wood so it doesn't blast apart in the gun, though it would make a nice shotgun if it makes it atleast out of the barrel I guess ^^

I really love ranged weapons of all kinds but if I really end up using them depends on the ammo system. In Terraria I hardly used ranged weapons aside the mana using ones simply because I'm a trigger happy one so I just keep firing and firing and there we go, 4 stacks of ammo gone...
    So I'm gonna be really happy if there will be energy weapons that have recharging ammo, but if the ammo system for everything else is good (means almost anything but y stacks of x ammo or anything else which' cramping my precious inventory) I'll be using them :3

Also energy shotguns ARE possible (theoretically): either use one big pushy laser beam blast whatever (would be a slug shot I guess) or just use beam splitters.
    There's a tri-beam laserrifle in Fallout 3 / NV that shoots 3 beams, split a bit more often and you may get 9 or 12 or whatever, now would that be more like a shotgun?

But shotguns aren't my thing, they are nice for closeup use but I prefer letting things not even get that far, longrange sniper rifles are more my thing, and dual pistols for non-longrange I guess

19. Anthony Williamson

Anthony Williamson Void-Bound Voyager

You can't just say, EPIC-WEAPON-TIME-PLZ and not expect to have to give up something important in order to use that wonderful weapon.
    But at the same time, rechargeable weapons are not necessarily a bad thing.

20. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

i realy think ammo should be infinite, while the balancing in rate of fire and damage as well as restrictions (counter bonus damage can't be achieved with ranged weapons) should be enough.

if not infinite, then a universal ammo would be best, or make the game know which weapons the players are using, and give them ammo best suited to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.