1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative non-Steam beta

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sharp(JQ), Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I understand that most players prefer Steam, but there are always exceptions. So I ask the developers to create an alternate version of the beta, since by appropriate restrictions (a rare updates and the like). I believe that every customer should have a choice.

2. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

That would be nice, I know a few people don't like steam (it IS still a form of DRM after all). It really would be nice for people to not be punish for not being able to use steam for one reason or another.

Heck while I use steam it briefly bugged out so bad I was unable to use it for several day and have to go into safemode and re-install it multiple times to fix. D8

3. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

Has anyone even confirmed that the beta will be available through steam at all?
    I'm pretty sure it's just been speculation starting at "hey beta should be available on steam" to "the beta could be on steam" and now it has progressed to people running around saying the beta is going to be through steam.

Miss Andry likes this.
  4. linkthegamer

Check the twitter feed on the side of the main page, Tiy has asked the community if they would rather have the beta on steam early access or DRM-free with patcher. ^_^

Sir AppleSeed likes this.
  5. Darkhog

Darkhog Subatomic Cosmonaut

Twitted by Tiy some time ago: http://t.co/arUmXPLX20. So it is either-either deal. As a developer myself I fully understand this and Tiy got my support on this one. I'd prefer Steam for reasons like faster updates, but whatever the choice is, CF should concentrate on one version. They can always make Starbound drm-free upon full release or push it on Steam if most of community would be for drm-free beta.

I'm not a bonehead, I know how game development works and since Tiy started to do right thing, I feel he's getting it too.

Things what I've post in the past was to show that game's beta-ready (i49 demo is so close to beta stage 1... What a coincidence). Since it is going, I think my mission here is over, see ya on some nice Starbound server when multiplayer will be ready!

Trowzers and darkparadise like this.
  6. Sturmkrahe

Sturmkrahe Aquatic Astronaut

Steam doesn't have to be DRM! It can be used just for distribution, if the developer wishes. I own several games through Steam that only require the initial download, and then can be launched even with Steam uninstalled and no internet connection. KSP and Prison Architect are the first two that come to mind. It comes down to a small bit of code, if I recall correctly.

7. linkthegamer

This is true, however with the way they talk about patching it would seem that they plan on using steam's patching system which does require steam to be on and installed.

8. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Steam doesn't have to be DRM! It just wants to. :)

You're going to uninstall the steam after each update?

cyberspyXD likes this.
  9. Sturmkrahe

Sturmkrahe Aquatic Astronaut

That was not my point. I was pointing out that calling Steam DRM is not necessarily correct in many cases. I totally understand people not wanting an extra program just to download games with.

10. Darkhog

Darkhog Subatomic Cosmonaut

As a developer, I agree. I was just simplifying things for less knowledgeable guys that wouldn't understand nuances like this. Also ability to disable steam's DRM is exact reason that games that rely on Steam as sole DRM without implementing their own are cracked so easily ;). Anyway, Steam is least intrusive DRM system out there and since it provide advantages such as Workshop, IM, forums, etc. (not necessarily in that order), I'm pretty okay with it.

PlayMp1 likes this.
  11. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Steam is basically designed not against pirates, but as an obstacle to the resale of licensed games.

Personally for me it is an unnecessary program, with additional glitches.

Besides, no one warned me that Steam is required for the beta test.

My Humble URL says:
    When the beta becomes available you can download it here

12. Zarb

Zarb Void-Bound Voyager

A two-step update process would be the best option, from my viewpoint.
    The most recent version can be updated on steam, if they want, and an other version (DRM FREE) can be published on Humble, like daily or so. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't have buy this game if it was steam-only. :down:
    But i'm really happy to see the beta finally coming for this awesome game. :giggle:

13. josh jones

josh jones Subatomic Cosmonaut

Steam only "calls home" about every 5 days on average. And it only takes a second of data to do this other than that it has offline mode and I've never had any issues playing in offline mode while Comcast was taking their sweet time. So I believe calling steam a DRM is a little over the top.

Coin and Kormos like this.
  14. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

The steam build should have updates applied constantly and if a non steam version is in the works it should be every stable beta update (Kind of like PZ). Though on steam you could simply opt into experimental builds that the devs have been working on if you desired.

Also steam is DRM no matter how much you like it.

MrLevi likes this.
  15. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I would prefer more rare, but a little more stable updates. Random error of rapid updates, can be very unpleasant.

16. linkthegamer

Calling it DRM in the vain of the likes of that used on SimCity or G4WL would be over the top (which is what we think of when we thing DRM thus why that seems over the top). It is still technically DRM, just not the horrible sucky kind gamers are used to.

Darkhog and Trowzers like this.
  17. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Well DRM is DRM no matter how severe. Of course some kinds of DRM go too far.

18. Kujar3

Kujar3 Existential Complex

You don't actually ahve to ba always online with Steam, you simply switch to offline mode, you can find it in the client under "Steam -> Go Offline", I am using it frequently these days, because I don't have a stable internet connection. Steam will simply remember your password this way and you can start it up even without internet connection what so ever and play any game that does not require you to be connected to Steam like Dota 2 I assume.
    So I don't really see where's the problem here, you can go online once a day to download any updates and than switch to Offline again.

19. linkthegamer

There is the occasional person who refuses to use steam for one reason or another. There might also be a case where you can not use steam for some odd reason. I can't think of any examples right now but I know of people who really don't like to have to install one program they will never really use just to get another program.

Like I have said, I will use steam, but I do know that for some people they for their own personal reason, can't just hop onto steam and get the download every other day.

WoxandWarf, Deepclaw and Jonesy like this.
  20. Kujar3

Kujar3 Existential Complex

I can understand that... My friend would never touch Steam just because he prefers to buy boxed versions of games, but Skyrim made him to install it. He got used to it.
    Terraria made me use Steam as well, I've been buing boxes too before. But I can't really think of anything else. Steam is kind of a necessity these days for a regular gamer. And well, in some cases even origin or Uplay.
    I personaly don't mind these services as long as they work properly and I ahve never experienced any problem with them so far. Maybe some people did and that's why they can't stand it today, not getting my stolen profile back would be a reason why I'd start hating the service for example...

Jonesy, DaviDeil and linkthegamer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.