1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved Already discovered Fossils & captured Monsters not showing in Collections [EDIT: Fossils broken]

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Preday, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

First of all, I love the Collections menu. It is very good that now I can keep track of everything I have caught, especially bugs and fossils. That being said, the stuff I already have discovered does not show up in the list.

The already cooked food is easy to do again and for the Bugs it's all a matter of picking them up again from whatever shelf I placed them on.

Monsters are a bit harder to do again since some, like the Momtop, are pretty rare (do they even show up anywhere outside the starter planet Fragment Mine? That's where I caught mine). I have had just 6 minutes with the new patch. Do monsters register when I capture them or when I pick up the capture pod? I have a crate of captured monsters if it is the latter.

And fossils... will be really annoying to re-do, because they are random. I have a crate full of doubles for small and medium sized fossils and picking those up does not seem to add them to Collections. Do they register with the pokedex when I excavate them or do I have to build a stand for them again and place them inside? That seems like a waste of resources. And what about the huge rare ones? Those are really hard to find!

EDIT:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    Infirito likes this.
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

As far as i found out the collections update when picking up the items so it should work when you pickup the whole stuff and place it again (obviously won't work for mobs >v<)

~ Iris ~

3. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

I tried picking up a small fossil and placing it again. No update.

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Hm it seems that the fossil collections are completly broken. I didn't get a collection entry when obtaining a complete new one.

Edit: well i just double checked everything so picking up the things doesn't add them to the collections.

~ Iris ~

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  5. Von Marlon

Von Marlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Figurine Collections are broken for me. Just started a new universe got my first figurine and its not showing up in collections. :confused:

6. Hadronaze

Hadronaze Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For collecting monsters again, I think you have to drop the capture pod and pick it up again. You can press Q to drop the item while it is in your hotbar or when you are holding it with the mouse cursor.

I also tried putting the filled capture pod in a chest, had a friend connect to my universe and asked him to take it from the chest. He said the monster was able to register on the collections page with the message and all. His collection page was blank before we did this test.

I have come across two monsters that do not register when you catch them. Gosmet and Snuffish. I am not sure if there are more but those are two that won't register if I catch them again or drop the capture pod.

Edit: Seems like fossil collection is the display cases. The display case with the complete fossil in it is what triggers the collection entry. I had an amber lying around. I put it in a display case and it registered. Can't say for any more fossils since that is the only one I have completed. Lent a friend the amber display case and it registered for him despite not excavating the fossil or any for that matter.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  7. Veran

Veran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I also seem to be having difficulties getting captured monsters to register. i captured a batong (but it was red so i dunno if i have to have the "correct" colour for it to register) and then later i captured an acrobat (green bat with purple wings, shows up in aboveground hylotl ruins) and that didnt register either. i tried dropping the pods and picking them back up again, to no avail.
    kinda sucks because im the kind of person that loves to complete lists like this :I

(I am using mods, and the character i currently use is Avali, however, food, bug and fishing collection register fine. havent tried fossils yet, nor have i found any figurines to test if it registers there either.)

8. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

I can comfirm that ONLY Gosmet and Snuffish do not register for Monster Collection. I have all others registered, and I have caught those two without them registering.

Infirito likes this.
  9. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

It seems the update re-implemented some objects as entirely new objects.

I assembled a T-Rex skeleton after 1.1, and it wouldn't stack with my other T-Rexes. Neither would the footprint fossil case stack with others.

Then I realized the item descriptions were different. The old ones have "The label says [description]", while the new ones just have "[description]".

Is anyone else getting this?

10. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

I'm also getting a bug with the filled pods and the mob inside doesn't register in the collections list.

The figurine collection is working fine (I scored a Crystal boss one on my first run of the Lunar Base mission) and one from a random mob drop.

I haven't done much with the other stuff yet since I'm stuff building up the resources for the food and I have yet to make the tools for the bugs, fish, or fossils (I have their crafting stations though)

11. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

The Gosmet and Snuffish are also broken for me. All my 1.0 catches don't get added to a character's collection when picked up.
    All the post 1.1 catches work fine (except for the aforementioned two).
    Used admin commands to spawn the monsters since I didn't much feel like traveling all over the place to collect them all over again.

@Mooncalf99: Makes sense, since it seems the old and new filled capture pods seem different too. Going to check it out.
    So in the end people like me who had complete collections before 1.1 can basically do them all over again. :zzz: If it wasn't for /admin anyway.

Edit: Yes, completed 1.0 fossils and completed 1.1 fossils are also different items, since 1.1 fossils get added to all my characters' collections. Meaning people'd either have to cheat to get 1.1 fossils or play that minigame for another 500+ times to get new ones. Gawd, sorry, devs, but this is just so sloppy.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    Infirito likes this.
  12. Infirito

Infirito Void-Bound Voyager

Yep, I'm not quite sure whether it was Garden or Giant Flowers biome, but I once found a planet where they were just a normal spawn. (It was in 1.0 though)

About 1.1: Snuffish, Gosmet and Fossils doesn't work for me either, rest of the collectioning stuff seems fine so far, but I haven't got all of the rest yet.

13. Iaeyan Elyuex

I can now confirm that Gosmet and Snuffish do not register being caught at all, while Fennix does not register when the capsule is picked up by another PC. I can't get enough figurines to properly test them. I haven't even dived into fishing yet. As far as cooking goes, there are two recipes that seem to be either uncraftable or garbage data. There is a round-looking one that looks like either a tart or a donut, and another one that looks like Spicy Ribs, only flipped horizontally. I looked, and the recipes seem to be numbered in the collection book in order of appearance on the recipe list. It is unlikely that I still need to unlock those recipes, because I already crafted everything else on the list, and I didn't learn any recipes.

EDIT: Apparently, those recipes are Quiche Lorraine and Sticky Ribs. But it stands that I didn't learn them from anything.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  14. Mooncalf99

According to the wiki, the Quiche unlocks from Pizza Slice... in version 1.1.1.

15. Infirito

Infirito Void-Bound Voyager

So, Fossils actually work for me, the game registers them in the collection the moment you stick 'em in the display case. Can anybody try that and confirm?

16. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

Yes, this worked for me too. I saved some spare small fossils and medium and built some cases for them and they registered.

The problem is that a lot of fossils are really rare and it's hard to fins them a second time.

17. Mooncalf99

You could savescum, unless you think that's cheating. Save the game before excavating, and back up your storage folder. Then excavate. If you don't get a fossil you need, quit and restore files from backup, then try again.

18. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

I just spawned in the fossils. I already earned them all the legit way. I feel entitled to cheat them in in order to get the collection complete. It's a lot faster and less troublesome than 'save scumming'.

Yes, that works and better yet, any other character that picks up your completed fossils will have them added to the collection as well.
    pre-1.1 completed fossils don't do this.

19. Iaeyan Elyuex

Can I mix and match old and new fossils? I'm only missing one part of the T. Rex. If I put the missing piece in there, will it register?

20. Preday

Preday Starship Captain

That's too much work for me to do. And also, yeah, I prefer doing things the legit way unless there is no other alternative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.