1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved All characters gone after long hiatus from the game.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by SoulEchelon, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulEchelon

SoulEchelon Void-Bound Voyager

I'll start with saying: Yes, I tried the tutorials found here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/fixing-lost-corrupted-universes-and-player-files.119985/

Anyway, I recently upgraded my hardware and backed up my whole Starbound folder using Steam's game backup function. After restoring it, I checked and found all my files were correctly placed. So I figured I'd boot up Starbound and check things out. Lo and behold, all my characters were gone.

Looked up the tutorials here and tried them out. Nothing seemed to work. I made a new character and realized her files were placed in the main directory's "storage" folder instead of the giraffe_storage's storage folder like my older characters. So I moved all the files from giraffe_storage's Storage to the main Storage folder. Didn't work. Even took a shot and tried renaming an old character's file to the new character's. Of course that didn't work either.

I'm fine with restarting really, but I'm curious as to why I can't play my characters. I started playing again when 1.0 hit, but left before 1.1. Seeing as characters and worlds seem to be saved in Starbound's main directory now instead of giraffe_storage, did something change? Are old 1.0 and below characters not compatible anymore?

Oddly enough mods are still saved in giraffe_storage, so....I'm pretty confused.

Gotta head to bed now, will check the thread after I awake. Thanks in advance.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

All pre 1.0 characters and universe files are incompatible.

~ Iris ~

3. SoulEchelon

Well that's the thing, my characters aren't pre 1.0. I made them after 1.0 hit.

4. Iris Blanche

Can you attach your logfiles located in your storage folder? Maybe they hold some info why the character isn't loaded.

~ Iris ~

5. SoulEchelon

Eh I ended up just restarting from scratch. Alot of things have changed and a few of my custom races were updated quite a bit, so I don't mind.
    However I did look at the log file:

[Error] Error loading player file, ignoring! ..\storage\player\5a2ef35cc2213fdd536c58a84460a925.player : (VersioningDatabaseException) Could not bring VersionedJson with identifier 'PlayerEntity' and version 12 forward to current version of Just (26), best version was 12
    [01:49:04.737]

I looked this up and this seems to have to do with beta characters....However I stress that I created my characters AFTER 1.0. So...I dunno. Either way, I've restarted and all's fine.

6. Iris Blanche

Closing and marking as resolved.

The data was outdated and pre 1.0

Regards
    Iris Blanche

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.