1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Alien Race List

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Brycen, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Brycen

Brycen Phantasmal Quasar

This forum is to bring together all playable and non-playable races in starbound.

Six Main Races:
    -Human

-Glitch

-Hylotl

-Apex

-Avian

-Floran

Other Playable Races:

-Novakid

Other Races:

-Alpaca

-Frogg

-Ancient

-Agaran
    [​IMG]

-Unknown
    [​IMG]

-Avioscale
    [​IMG]

-Space Bear
    [​IMG]

-Penguin
    -Fenerox

(More Added Soon)

2. Zinerith

Zinerith Cosmic Narwhal

I kind of assumed that the deadbeats were a glitch-like race that were nearing the end of their cycle and were about to be destroyed by their own impending doom.

3. Zaroth

Zaroth Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh hey, this saves me from making a new thread on the subject. I'm trying to mull over any and all races that I might have missed for my librarian tenants.

I think the avioscale is just based on one of the large randomly generated bird types, not a sapient race.

As said, there's also the shadow people and deadbeat.
    The creeplings probably really do exist, or did, since we find them in the fossil record, I personally headcanon them as a nearly extinct survivor of the first coming of the Ruin that become withdrawn, reclusive and stagnant.
    The gnomes and corobockle count, I'd say.
    They've since been removed, but there's also the mole people, who I'm not sure of a proper name for.
    The rabbit people that used to be found in colorful biomes, which were all but outright stated to be apex transformed by miniknog experiments. (I've taken to calling them the Lupin, and rewritten their backstory a touch for my purposes).
    And, I can only say this is a race of possibly implied existence, but I'd say it's not to far to claim there's a mutant race native to the toxic seas, since they're full of industrial ruins and have them in the background. Taken to calling them the Viciss, figure they stalled in their industrial era, and just filled their planet with pollution till their entire ecosystem collapsed.

Then there's the race that created the glitch, and the race that uplifted the avian. Whether these were one and the same as each other, or were either the creepling or cyclops, or even the guardian himself is all uncertain. I prefer them being four separate, distinct species who lived under the guardian's rule.
    The floran's ceremonial hunting caverns were once home to another race, but it's never stated if it was one one of the previously mentioned races, or a separate altogether.

And lastly, that maggot man guy. This is one case where I'm not sure if it's just someone wearing a suit, however.
    On one hand, he refers to his maggot nature in a way that draws attention to it, like some weirdo in a suit. On the other, he seems to be desperately trying and failing to fit into a culture he doesn't get. Ultimately, not sure.

Anything I missed?

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Alpaca mountain people, although it might just be a costume.
    Eye Demon People, which is the ones that have wings of some kind and usually in the eye biome, I think.
    Skull Raiders, the ones in the bone biome that wear lots of bone equipment and have lots of traps in and around their posts.

that is what I could add to that list. All I can think of at the moment beyond what was already mentioned. Don't really know the names to them, so I just gave a descriptive name. :nuruhappy:

5. Zaroth

Alpaca are more or less factually a species.
    The eye demon people are just some crazy order of glitch knights, like the rainbow rouges. They even have specific dialogue with glitch prefixes and emphasis on eye related words. "Menacing. I SEE you."
    The skull raiders, well, I've only seen one small settlement of those guys since 1.0. I'm not certain. But if they're the same ones as the guys who sometimes also appear in the underground bone houses, I think those are just some raider group from an otherwise common race.

Guest0241525 likes this.
  6. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We are certain the skull people are simply a style of creature. We mainly see avians but others wear skulls as well. We assume these sapient beings may be insane or simply murderous.

7. Some Floran

Some Floran Void-Bound Voyager

Where do we find them in fossil record? I've been searching online about that, but can't find anything on it.

8. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Plus, some Creepling quotes have them say that they're wearing suits.

9. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Since the original post is formatted terribly, here's a more concise list.

Playable:

• Apex
    • Avian
    • Floran
    • Glitch
    • Human
    • Hylotl
    • Novakid
    Not playable:
    • Agaran
    • Alpaca
    • Ancient - Caretaker?
    • Bear - Bernard and Dipper at Ursa Miner
    • Deadbeat
    • Gnome
    • Fenerox
    • Frogg
    • Larva - Maggot Man
    • Penguin
    • Shadow
    Fossil only:
    • Avioscale - possibly an evolutionary ancestor to Avians?
    • Mysterious Alien - mysterious skull fossil, possibly Creepling?
    • Unidentified - cycloptic creature fossil, possibly somehow related to the Ruin or the Ancients?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2017
  10. Zaroth

https://starbounder.org/Mysterious_Alien_Skull
    The context is very much "yeah dude, totally a suit. Totally."

Also, since become aware of the Helion, mentioned in a couple of pre-1.0 codex.
    They're your ebin assassin group. Whether a race or an order is very vague, however.

11. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Oh, I was just wondering what that skull could possibly be aside from an Indiana Jones reference. Nice catch.

12. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I think of deadbeats as mutated humans, possibly this is just influenced by the fact that they're technically human NPCs.
    I like to think the Unidentified fossil is an ancient, but don't really know why. The orb it's holding kind of gives it that vibe though.

13. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

I see it as some sort of race of sentient humanoids spawned from the Ruin, not unlike the creatures encountered in the final mission.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What was their exact involvement, and what became of them is a mystery though.

STCW262 likes this.
  14. FoxDE2

FoxDE2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Alpaca have fossils of them, so they're not people in costumes.

15. BPStuart

BPStuart Phantasmal Quasar

Another hypothesis for the mono eyed fossil, the ruin absorbed and Altered that species into twisted servants. The ruin summoned beasts from the universe in the final fight to distract the hero. The ruin may have taken and twisted that life to act as protectors against agents of the Guardian force.

They could also represent the missing face on the gates.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017