1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Aegis Wrapper - Server Wrapper

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by unleashurgeek, Dec 15, 2013.

1. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Never liked minecraft :) but I understand the cool things you can do with wrappers, it just feels unclean - and of course allows stuff to happen

2. Crashdoom

Crashdoom Pangalactic Porcupine

The developers have a lot of more important features to work on, the server modding capabilities don't seem near top on that list and won't appear for some time. In the case of Minecraft, they may never appear which is why teams like Bukkit came around to create their own version of the server in order to provide those features.

3. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

Still, StarryPy has random CPU lock ups after a while, might need another day of debugging to really run with furious ;)

4. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

And do fix the starbound.config generation ;) i remember that had 2 errors in the old version :p

5. Yup developers focus into the more basic features. The Wrappers expand them, with many admin tools, to plugins, so a big server can have a big community but a balanced gameplay for everobody, from planet protections to password chests, warps, etc... The bad thing about them is how a game update breaks them, like it just did and developers must run like mad against time to get them compatible with newest version.

6. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Yes well... the devs don't intend ppl to hack their network protocol, and insert stuff in, that shouldn't be there - if they intend it in such a way, they make an API for it - this is the clean way. So the wrapper is great if you make it for your own need, when other ppl use it, then you have a privilege of "compromising" their server. Even with open source, most ppl will just use the EXE, until one of the devs of the wrapper goes crazy and remote kills all the servers running his wrapper, and then ppl will start wondering - did anyone check the code??? That's the sad part.

Bunnky likes this.
  7. Crashdoom

Mojang (the creators of Minecraft) didn't intend for people to do that either, but then they hired two of the Bukkit developers because they did that. Also, no one is forcing you to use a server wrapper if you don't want to, it's optional and adds functionality the developers don't have the time to do at the moment. Also, what's the gain in creating something malicious? A bad reputation? Wow that totally gets you places in lif-...Wait, hold on... IT DOESN'T! The point of making these things open-source is so you can show potential employers what you've created to the benefit of someone or a group of people as well as to increase transparency and prevent malicious code getting put into the program, intentionally or accidentally.

teihoo likes this.
  8. Any mod, not only exes, like scripts, dlls, etc... Can have malicious code, when it comes to 3rd party nothing is trust able, everything is done at our own risk.
    Right now, the Vanilla server of Starbound itself is unsafe, it's possible to crash it, make it bug, lag it, even "DDOS" it, causing trouble to people running their servers specially if they are on shared / vps hosts or dedicated servers where the host ends up complaining. While Devs don't make the Vanilla server safe enough to can be a public / large community server without need to deal with this kinds of exploits, Wrappers are most needed.

teihoo likes this.
  9. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

I agree. I was just trying to point out an additional exploit the wrappers make.

10. Red Siberian

Red Siberian Void-Bound Voyager

Three hints for those who reversing starbound proto.
    1. Packet type ids changed and starts from 0 now. ProtocolVersionPacket = 0, ConnectResponsePacket =1 etc.
    2. Negative VlqI starts from -1 instead of -0 (maybe it's applied to compressed body size only).
    3. Entity type id also starts from 0. Player = 0, Monster = 1, Object = 2 etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    Crashdoom likes this.
  11. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

I agree on that also. But when you have a dev that already has a reputation.... forces you to always check every bit of code - and that makes you use so much effort and knowledge you'd be better of making it yourself ...

12. Crashdoom

I am making it myself now, we're getting the occasional help with the protocol from people in the ##starbound-dev channel (http://starbound-dev.org), it's amazing what a group of people are able to do in a short amount of time! :D

13. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

That's great :) and just for the record, i did love the way starrybound made things possible :) gah still i'm crying daily about the /item command :p

14. unleashurgeek

unleashurgeek Space Spelunker

I would rather do that than write a wrapper. It would take the work away from devs, put server problem blames on the community devs, and let us focus on getting the bugs fixed while they focus on content.

I don't.

True; however, that is why I am trying to make the code as dynamic as possible, so updates like this can be fixed and ready immediately.

Also a lot of IRL things came up recently, which has sadly delayed the release; however, we were planning on releasing after the update, so we wouldn't release and then it being immediately broken. The release should be soon.

15. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

@unleashurgeek Can you give us any progress updates on this wrapper?

16. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

On my phone. But ill post the github soon as I find it again. You probably will never see this wrapper in any real functioning state anytime soon. Its also in made in java.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. Underbalanced

18. unleashurgeek

unleashurgeek Space Spelunker

I have no idea why you have been attempting to bash this wrapper since day one. Regardless, I made my decision clear on why I chose java many times in the past. As for a functioning state soon, all that is left to do is fix some issues on the the packet handler like the inability to write compressed packets. Furthermore, if you want to look at the API, feel free to look at the API branch which I have been updating habitually. The API is nearly finished and for the most part completely functional. Regardless, this will be releasing soon™.

eSportler and FuzzyThor like this.
  19. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

Java works just fine with using it as a server wrapper. Icer Server Management Console is Java based and until recent update I found it to be very stable. @Underbalanced If you don't like the concept of using Java then go find another wrapper or go make your own.

unleashurgeek and eSportler like this.
  20. Underbalanced

I do. Good luck though