1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on wired custom signs?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mythril-Jelly, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, I had posted this in another area but quickly realized it was in general discussion, and as such cut it and pasted it here. Whoops!

Anyway, I spent a good portion of my time last night working on decorating my underground city, and came across an issue. It seems wired signs do not merge and cannot be scanned to edit them and remove the wired tag.

[​IMG]

I made some mistakes on this one anyway, they're supposed to be standing at the same height. Is there any way to force-edit it or must I start over? I heard normal non-wired counterparts aren't bugged like this but is there a way to work around it so I can still turn them on and off?

2. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

I can't remember what it's called, but there's a program that allows you to make custom Starbound signs with transparent borders and even transparent backgrounds, and then load them into your character's inventory.

3. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Off ya go: http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/579/?

On topic, what specifically do you need with wires? If that's stuff that can be replicated by other means like lighting, maybe you should do without wiring?

Vrow and Mythril-Jelly like this.
  4. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I suppose I should experiment with this later, it might take a bit of time but it looks like it could do the job. If I can lose the borders for the wired ones I could possible still go through with my initial idea. Maybe swap for invisible proximities too since it can't be done "legit".

As for why I made them wired, I wanted to make them flicker on when the player stands near. It's an underground city under my underground city, supposed to be a little eerie down there.
    I might just go for default/lighting though since wired variants are being difficult.

Edit:
    It seems the mods are outdated at the moment, so I went ahead and re-did the sign from scratch. The difference is easy to spot, shame it can't flicker when the player approaches it.

If anyone else finds this from some random Google search way in the future, don't do what I did. Make non-wired versions first!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016