1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion advantages of a server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mrdrew, Oct 31, 2016.

1. mrdrew

mrdrew Tentacle Wrangler

What are the advantages of hosting a server? Or using a server hosted elsewhere?

The multiplayer seems like it could use some polishing in Starbound. When I get into a game with my wife, it's her universe, and any progress I make there doesn't count for my character? Bummer!

So, my hope is that if I setup a server, and we both play on that server, our progress will stick with our character all the time. But then... what if the server breaks? I lose all progress?

What if I can't connect to the internet for a period of time, and can't reach my server?

Frequently, we'll start playing together, and we forget who it was that "started" the session. When they quit, the other person gets kicked out! But perhaps that doesn't matter, as I mentioned above, any progress I make while connected to someone else's universe will not be reflected in my game. Right?

I'd really like to see more synchronization between games/characters, and universes.

2. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

1. You play with other players
    2. Galaxy is (not really but pretend) endless, and you are probably on other planets
    3. If you don't save frequently ... kinda? You will lose progress if you get files deleted/corrupted but otherwise it's just matter of when you saved
    4. You can't connect. Simple. Nothing happens unless you have other people on the server and the server is up.
    5. The only thing that can be reflected by server/user is your ship and character. Worlds stay seperate. Like in terraria.
    6. ^^^

mrdrew likes this.