Modding Help Adding races etcetc

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Karmel, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Karmel

Karmel Void-Bound Voyager

So i have the art and animation talent waiting to go once I learn how to make it all happen in the game for them so that brings up this question....

Does anyone have/willing to share a bit of a guide on how to get started, animation placement ectect. most of what I want done will remain in humanish shape with the exceptions of a feral shape if possible(can only image the weirdness of items on that haha)

I'm not entirely clueless and can manage handling files and all that my self but I rather not dive in blind. :rofl:

2. Soulweaver

Soulweaver Void-Bound Voyager

You should just be able to go to /assets/humanoid/human and copy everything from there and edit them. Then I believe you can add them in /assets/species... Maybe? You could just download this and base everything off that.

3. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

Kawa has a 'finished' mod that you can take a look at. Its got all the various files you need to take a look at with instructions on what things to change in config files to implement them. Currently, there isnt a central modloader everyones using, so I've been adding things in manually. I've got a post on page 3 with a screenshot of my own attempt, which isnt finished yet.

Basically - the game is really forgiving in terms of where sprites begin/end (that is, you can easilly make bigger/smaller sprites, but you might stick out of your armor a bit, so keep that in mind). In the sprite files, the game somehow looks at each pixel's color, and then tints it somehow based on the tints listed in the species files. Some sprite parts have 2 colors (usually brownish and red), those mean that there are more than one choice in creation that alters the colors (like Florans having Flower and Hair colors that both modify the hair sprite)

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/kawas-felin-species-now-with-download.38257/

4. Karmel

Hmm I'll give that a try and yes looking at the files now it seems most of the work will just be ready and done aside for re-sprite/animations and race selections. what worries me is the color of it...is their a method to force the base color to be picked on character creation?

5. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

Yes. The color in the sprite files is not actually the base color. The actual color selections are found in the species file. (Look at it with notepad++ or similar)

6. Karmel

ah thats good to know~, thanks for the help ^^