Modding Help Adding new items to the machines...

Discussion in 'Mods' started by katie5000, Oct 16, 2019.

1. katie5000

katie5000 Intergalactic Tourist

Hi!

I'm new to modding, and I was wondering how you get the machines in the game to take new items (for example, getting the oil maker to take a piece of coal, or getting the keg to take a dandelion). Is there a file in the "Content" folder of the game where this data is stored? Or is it in the game's code? I don't really know where to look/what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Thanks so much. :)

• hatmouse

hatmouse Phantasmal Quasar

At the moment it's a lot easier to add new machines than edit vanilla ones, because you can add new ones just with fancy text files and a png via Custom Farming Redux. Would that do, or were you looking to maybe make a SMAPI mod with C#?

• Digus

Digus Spaceman Spiff

• katie5000

katie5000 Intergalactic Tourist

That might work, if it's similar to Json Assets. I've been playing around with that, too, because I wanted to add a few recipes to the game. I've gotten the mod I made to load, although I don't know how to get the new recipes to show up in the inventory section (like when you click on the kitchen counter and all the little images show up). Are there any tutorials out there anywhere? Thanks.

• hatmouse

hatmouse Phantasmal Quasar

For JA, there's the docs , but existing packs that do the same thing you want are usually helpful! For CFR, the format of the json is documented here, but examples are a bit clearer, I think. PPJA + Artisan Valley is the biggest Json Assets + CFR compilation out there, so it's got a ton of stuff in it. At the same time, it might have so much stuff in it that it gets overwhelming, so you might check a smaller pack in that case :D If you click the "Requirements" dropdown on the Nexus mod pages, they also show every mod that requires the mod you're looking at, so there's a lot to choose from.

If you hop onto the official Discord server for Stardew valley, there's a #modding channel that can help answer questions and troubleshoot :) (For example, the authors of both JA and CFR, the PPJA team, and Digus above are all on Discord!)

(Edit - Apparently I neglected to include the Discord link.)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019