Modding Help Adding music via modding

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Apexion, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Apexion

Apexion Space Hobo

Hey there guys, I'm totally new to modding and I've got a question. I've found other threads that touch on this but, being new to this, I've come across lingo and explanations I don't really understand. I know it's annoying for some newbie to come in asking simple questions with complicated answers, but I've really got no other choice here.

I've learned that, in order to add music into Starbound, you need to convert MIDI files into ABC files. No worries, I work with MIDI all the time and a simple file conversion isn't a big deal usually. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this file type at all, and have been pointed towards programs like Maestro to convert MIDI to ABC. I have no idea how to use that program, I don't understand how to use more than one instrument at a time, and it seems like it's a program used mostly for some Lord of the Rings game, and as such, the instrumentation on it is limited to that aesthetic. I'm ok with that for the most part, but I don't know how to use multiple instruments and this is becoming very annoying. I'm used to dealing with a MIDI roll, so this setup is really foreign to me. I also understand that, because there are several instruments in the game, you'd also probably want a file for each instrument so each one can play each part, but am not entirely sure how that could be integrated into the game so a player could choose an instrument, choose which part to perform, and have it all work.

Can anyone share their wisdom and help me out with this? What should I be doing? Any advice helps, and though I'm really going to try to read up on this, dumbing it down for a layman like me is kind of a must, since I really don't know what I'm getting myself into here but really want to learn and share what I create with whoever wants to hear it