Tutorial Adding mod to Nightly build (Rampaging Koala version).

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by zortbg, Sep 14, 2014.

1. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Hello, everyone,

short tutorial for the modinfo file on Nightly Build version (Rampaging Koala) of Starbound.

FIrst i'd like to thank the Developers for bringing that version to us, it's cool to keep on track what's new in starbound.

--------------------------------------
    1. Unpack the packed.pak file in your assets directory of Starbound Nightly Build version (Rampaging Koala).
    Tutorials for that are in the same chapter of the forum. I'm using the ModPackHelper_v0.7 which is very good tool.
    Link to it here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/modpackhelper.1828/

2. After that open in a text editor the assets.config and copy the line with the version of the game:

ex: "version" : "Rampaging Koala 20140618"

3. Whenever you make new mod that you want to work with the Nightly Build version (Rampaging Koala) of Starbound
    you need to add this version to your modinfo file, like this:

{
    "name" : "Name of your mod here",
    "version" : "Rampaging Koala 20140618",
    "path" : ".",
    "dependencies" : []
    }

4. Note for the mods of the last version Enraged Koala - some or most of them will not work, due to the structure changes, but you can give it a try with modifying their modinfo file and see if the game doesn't crash.

I hope this is useful and wish you lots of fun playing Starbound!!!

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Odd - they removed version enforcement a while back. Was it reintroduced some time?

3. zortbg

zortbg Cosmic Narwhal

Hi,
    i'm not really sure, but the modinfo file was really needed to be populated with correct version for even the smallest mod to work for me.
    That's why i decided to share this in order nobody else to bump his head into it :))

4. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

version number that's printed out in the log file also APPEARS to be accepted, just a heads-up. no need to unpack the pak file if that's the case -- although, you SHOULD unpack it anyway if you're making your own mods xD

could anyone confirm this please?

Code:
    {
        "author" : "yourName", //dunno if you can or can't have spaces...
        "name" : "modName", //no spaces~
        "version" : "Beta v. Rampaging Koala - Update 1", //or "Rampaging Koala 20140618"
        "path" : ".",
        "dependencies" : [], //<-- 'metadata' below is completely optional, but if you do put it in, don't forget this comma!
         "metadata" : {
                "displayName" : "Mod Name", //can put spaces if you wish? (confirmed?)
                "author" : "yourName", //same as before
                "description" : "This mod's purview is to mod your game.",
                "support_url" : "http://community.playstarbound.com",
                "version" : "1.01"
    }    }

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  5. AstralGhost

AstralGhost Pangalactic Porcupine

I just created a working mod last night without the correct version in the modinfo. The version info is unnecessary in the nightly from what I can see.

Edit: Just as an FYI, I had "Beta v. Enraged Koala" in my modinfo in case anyone is wondering.

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Ya that is what I remember. Almost 6 months ago they removed version enforcement, you should be able to type anything in there with no issues. It was removed because mods kept breaking every time an update came. An mod authors were getting irritated they had to keep updating their modinfo each time, even though no changes had to be made to the mod.

But that line is probably necessary - just not the information inside of it.

7. AstralGhost

Ha, it'd be ironic to remove the requirement for a matching version but not remove the requirement for the line. But I can still see it happening. I'll test this tonight and see what happens and let you guys know.

Edit: Completely forgot to test it last night. Oops. Maybe I'll remember tonight then.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

lol - well this is useful to know xD
    if this hasn't been tested yet, i'll test it within the hour ^^

edit: confirmed, all you NEED to have in the modinfo file is this:
    Code:
    {"name" : "modName"}
    (haven't tested it with spaces.)
    everything else is absolutely optional.

edit2: with that in mind, it's always useful for users to know as much as possible about the mod, so from now on i'm following this pattern:

Code:
    {"name" : "modName",
     "metadata" : {
            "displayName" : "Full mod name",
            "author" : "eksynn",
            "description" : "This mod's purview is to make modifications to the game through the use of this mod.",
            "support_url" : "http://community.playstarbound.com",
            "version" : "1.01"
    }    }

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    The | Suit likes this.
  9. AstralGhost

Thanks for confirming that. Sorry that I forgot...

That is the bestest description ever. Mind if I use that for my mods? lol.

The | Suit likes this.
  10. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

lmbo xD thanks
    sure, feel free to >w<

11. TheBillyGoat

TheBillyGoat Void-Bound Voyager

Wait a second I'm confused, are all these codes for installing mods or creating them?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  12. eksynn

eksynn Giant Laser Beams

for creating them. to install mods, quite literally, all you do is put them in the mods folder. hopefully they're for the game version you have... heh