Modding Help Add Greeting Dialog when under Status Effect?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by skykissedfarm, Sep 20, 2018.

1. skykissedfarm

skykissedfarm Void-Bound Voyager

Hey there! I'm looking to make a patch mod that overwrites the default "greeting" npc dialog with custom lines when the player has certain status effects. So, taking the "food poisoning" effect as an example, I have a feeling I'll need converse.config, converse.behavior, and foodpoison.statuseffect, but I'm not sure how to go about it exactly. Some specific questions I have are:
    1. Will I need to make separate .patch files for converse.config and converse.behavior?
    2. How would I make it so the custom greetings play only when the status effect is active?
    3. How would I make sure the custom greetings play instead of the default ones?
    Thanks in advance for reading this, and sorry if this is a dumb question! I'm not the brightest person there is, but I'd really like to work this out. Thanks for your help!!

2. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Heya, welcome to the modding scene. I can answer one of your questions for sure at least:

You do need a separate .patch file for each file you modify.

As for checking to see if a player has a status effect, that is accomplished via lua, so you would need to write a script and attach that to NPCs you want to do this. It can be done but may be a lot more (LOT more) involved than it at first appears.

skykissedfarm likes this.