Actually Interesting Structures®

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Quillon, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Quillon

Quillon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Alright, so in the last thread I talked about planets, and how they can be improved for more variety and better exploration. in this thread, I'll be discussing villages, cities, dungeons, and other things scattered across the starbound universe, because they could seriously use some work. without further ado, lets get into it!

Biome-Dependant Villages:

"Lets build a city constructed of wood and other flammable materials on a volcanic planet where it rains fire!"
    -No one ever

Come on, we've all stumbled upon one of these. you're telling me I need a radiation/heat/cold EPP, but these guys don't? The villages should be adjusted depending on the biome. Villages on radioactive planets could have pressurized domes built around them. Villages on cold planets could have space heaters, and the structures could be hardier/cozier. Villages on hot planets should have strong, metallic blocks, and little to no open areas. and this idea doesn't just apply to the planet's habitability. Floran village on a desert planet? maybe DON'T have a bunch of leaves everywhere.

Varied Layouts:

"Floran architectss have no creativity, we build all our hunting groundsss the same"

Why does every glitch castle have the same layout? Why does every Hunting ground have the same layout? Why does every- okay I'll stop. In all seriousness, it would be nice if each village/dungeon had multiple, lets say 5 different layouts to choose from. take a Hylotl underwater city for example. you could have the standard one, or you COULD have one in a pressurized dome!
    Or WOAH! this one is spherical, the city fits into a bubble!

Mixed Race cities:

What is with all this racial segregation? smh I thought we were better than this.

A quadrillilon cities across the galaxy. and every. single. one. is populated by only one race. why is this? There should be some mix-races cities, as a seperate, more common structure. they should be stylized and a normal, earth-like city, with inhabitants of all races and art assets from other races settlements. Space MLK would be proud.

More buildings:

Ah, the Hylotl city. so many areas, like an arcade, or a dojo, a zen garden! you never know what you can find, but one thing's for sure. you can find all of them by visiting one city.

Each village, rather than generated normally, should have buildings picked from a pool of several dozen. at least enough to build 4 different cities total, as a rule of thumb. Hey, this Avian town has a bar! Hey, this Apex city has a helicopter pad! Hey, this human camp has a hot dog stand! doesn't this sound like more fun to explore?

Spaceports:

Okay, about all these avians on Osiris Expanse VII... how did they get here? there are no signs of any ships, teleporters, or anything of the sort in any settlement. It would be nice if this changed. Human camps could have a human spaceship parked around some tents. Apex bases with teleporters (maybe links to other Apex structures!). And of course, Spaceports. large areas of docked ships, runways, and people with luggage. including Fenerox and Agarans, to explain how they got around the galaxy.
    there should be one of these in each system.

Shops:

Sure, Merchants with a few crates stacked behind them and maybe a street lamp are fine, but maybe some merchants should have fully fledged stores. filled with furniture, decorations, and other customers! Imagine walking along through a forest planet, and then BOOM! Pizzeria!

Multi-village quests:

Suppose you have a planet with an apex city and an avian village. now, these cities COULD just ignore each other, OR they could interact. quests could involve establishing diplomatic relations between the cities. or raiding them. or fixing the subway system between them. this could also work across planets, with "freighter quests" to deliver stuff from one planet to another.

Concentrated Population:

The starbound ujniverse is just too evenly populated. ever planet, and I mean EVERY planet has some city, town, or fortress on it. It can ruin the element of exploration if, wherever you go, somebody's been there before. I think planets should be generated with a specific population density. that way, some planets can have a bajillion villages, others none at all.

More:

Once again, just add MORE types. Apex submarines on frozen planets. Novakid truck stops. Stupid tourist attractions like the worlds largest pile of eyes. Ultra-rare protectorate bases. the possibilities are endless!

icegriffon, Yanazake and Ickura like this.