Actively Holding Items

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Remnant Drive, Feb 22, 2012.

?

Hold items?

1. Yep.

53.3%
  2. Nope.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Toggle in Options Menu

46.7%
  1. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

This suggestion is simple, and is meant to be simple.

With the items a player can collect/build/craft/earn in Starbound, I would really like to see the characters holding the item, or wielding the item if it is a weapon.

For Example, if you are holding Generic StarGun Alpha #1, your character could hold it to his/her/its side when not in use, but will aim and fire when activated.

In Terraria, there is no possible way to tell what gear someone has unless they are wearing it (Vanity slots made it moot), and you could only tell what items they had from when they used said item.

As with most options, I would prefer it to be toggleable, as I believe not everyone wants their arms pinned to their sides, or always in the air holding a stick.

legodude2 and bounding star like this.
  2. dotUser

dotUser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally I am for making items apparent, at least the ones that wouldn't get in the way too much. Like a laser pistol would be holstered when not in use, etc. But it would be a little goofy to have a holster for say, a rocket launcher or somesuch extremely massive weapon. Unless they attached it to the back when holstered.

legodude2 and Remnant Drive like this.
  3. Matsu

Matsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have no problem with this could be quite comedic if any joke weapons are added and would make RP a tiny bit more involved. You have my support good sir.

4. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Having the items you have equipped showing up is a nice idea. Just show the item sitting in whatever hand you have it equipped to.

5. Xylord

Xylord Starship Captain

Agreed, it was one of the tweaks I really loved in Cmod for Terraria if anyone knows of it. I also like the idea of holstering small weapons, or sheathing swords and such.

6. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

I do like the idea of showing the item(s) a character is wearing and/or wielding. Though from what we have seen this might already be implemented.

[​IMG]
    Image taken from Starbound wiki.

7. Xylord

Xylord Starship Captain

Oh, you're right, I didn't see this image. Nice tentacles btw.

8. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

Tentacles might be related to Terra forming.

Taken from here.

9. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

I am glad that you and others agree! Now that I think about it, it certain items should have holsters/sheathes. Larger items may either float or not show up at all.

I had not noticed the weapons in that image. Now that I do, I have to say it does not look too shabby.

10. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh so they already do that. Nice. The thread worked people. It worked so well that one of the devs went back in time and implemented the request before we even posted. Good job people. :p

xSpartanLazerx and Xylord like this.
  11. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it's going to be interesting in big online servers with a large group of people all with huge weapons just walking around naturally.

12. dotUser

dotUser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Twenty characters carrying large weapons standing on a wood & rope bridge.

This is not how physics works! D: