1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Access violation error: Can't play game! :(

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by DrBob3002, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SammiRei

SammiRei Void-Bound Voyager

Tried it, still throws up the Access Violation Error, even with everything running in Admin mode. I don't think I'm going to be playing this one tonight, somehow.

2. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, here you go:

I can see starbound.exe running in the task manager using 600000 kb of memory, but I'm not sure what's up. If I run the launcher, the game, or the gl version manually without steam the same thing happens. Launcher opens, I click play, an access error pops up.

If you can figure this out I'd be very happy ^.^

Edit: I opened up the folder and set the entire thing to be read/write (previously it had the read-only box partially checked). Still get the same problem.

3. Wh00pAss

Wh00pAss Orbital Explorer

Ok, open task manager, go to the details tab, and end task any starbound.exe that are in there. Just check for launcher.exe too while you are there. Then double check the files are set to admin, leave everything else unchecked and just double click launcher.exe (not through steam)

4. Jman1177

Starbound just updated a minute or two ago, figured it might fix things but it didn't. If I double click without steam, I get the error "The Ordinal 968 could not be located in the dynamic link library LIBEAY32.dll". That library wasn't in the launcher folder originally but I copied it in, so I'm not sure whats going on. If I run through steam, the same thing as before happens.

And yes, I've checked the task manager to ensure there is no launcher or starbound exe running prior to launching the game. All the starbound exe's are set to admin mode, and even have the little admin shield icon next to them. I realize this makes no sense but I know I'm not crazy >.>

5. Shmong

Shmong Void-Bound Voyager

My log:

Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Perturbed Koala' '615' '418'
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Error: Access violation detected at 0x2944b481 (Read of address 0x4d001000)
    Error: Stack Trace...
    007D2D00 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    2944B481
    2944B7C0
    294507CD
    772D2ED4
    772E93BC
    772E9258
    772E8D26
    772E9920
    772E500E
    76C02CC2
    74F37DC6
    772CDD92
    74F2BE6B
    74F31B4A
    6812FE7B
    68130D87
    6812744B
    0040A871 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:32)
    00403830 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/StarClientApplication.cpp:15)
    00407798 (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:47)
    004DB891 (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./src/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Intel 2500K 4.5Ghz, MSI Z77-GD65, 16Gb Samsung RAM (2400Mhz OC), ASUS Radeon 7970, Asus Xonar HDAV 1.4 Deluxe.
    Win 8.1 Pro x64 (official, no cracks/launchers). No problems with other games.

And game not finishing the launcher process in the end. It's always hanging with 614,4 mb in the task manager.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. Jman1177

This is wierd...I just realized it's error message references drive E. My E drive is my DVD Rread/Write drive o_O

Starbound is installed in my regular C drive along with steam and everything else. I bet that's the problem, and it looks like I'm not the only one.

http://community.playstarbound.com/...-on-a-different-harddrive.35510/#post-1372926

Edit: Nope, it's not that. The E is likely just referring to the location of a file on the dev's computer at compile, according to some other users. Ugh, what is causing this >.>

7. SammiRei

...it turns out it was my firewall causing the error. I need to go and do something horrible to Emsisoft now.

8. Shmong

Shmong Void-Bound Voyager

OK, i bet it on win 8.1 x64 pro.

I did the following for 3 files:
    Close the launcher from task manager (Ctrl+Shift+Escape, or RMB on the task bar and click on the "Task manager")
    1. \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\launcher\launcher.exe,
    2. \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe
    3. \Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\starbound_opengl.exe
    RMB (right mouse button) -> properties -> compatibility -> change properties for all users button -> Run program in the compatiibility mode for: Windows 7 + Run the program with administration priveledges for all users

*I am sorry if I made a mistake, i have the russian ver. of windows and it's hard to translate accurately.

9. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

I attempted replacing starbound.exe with starbound_opengl.exe and still no luck. I suppose on the bright side the game launches on my laptop just fine.

I'm going to see if updating my GPU drivers does anything.

Edit: Nope, still getting the same error.

10. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Yeah, seriously...this one's bad. Dang it. Maybe the run as admin trick does it.

EDIT: It did! Running the launcher as an administrator did it.

11. Ld_Khyron

Ld_Khyron Space Hobo

Oh man you rock! It was the firewall (online armor BTW).

12. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Okay, so I got the game to launch from the launcher again after deleting the appcache folder from the Steam folder (I followed the directions that the error's link leads to), and reset my computer. I then ran Steam then the game as an admin again, and it worked!! I'm using W7, btw.

13. Damaniel

Damaniel Space Hobo

The 'Run as Administrator' trick worked for me. Thanks!

14. kentelljd

kentelljd Lucky Number 13

If any ideas appear for XP please post them. The run as Administrator doesn't seem to help me.

15. Jman1177

For xp, I would try setting the launcher and game itself to compatability mode for Windows 7. You can do this in their properties menu (right click, properties, security, run in compatibility mode).

16. kentelljd

kentelljd Lucky Number 13

I don't have the compatibility option of Windows 7 unfortunately. I've got to head off, I'll check this forum again when I can. Thanks again for the plentiful help! :)

17. Jman1177

Alright, I've tried just about everything I can. It's a bummer that I can't make it work, but I'm sure it will be fixed soon ^.^ I need to go to bed >.>

Hang in there, developers! I know you guys probably have a billion reports coming in right now o_O

18. SammiRei

Yeah, that's the firewall I have too. I've sent off a support ticket to them asking why I'm having this issue even after I've flagged it as Trusted. (I have a similar issue with Saint's Row IV, I don't suppose you've had that one too?)

19. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

XcaninoX likes this.
  20. VenomIreland

VenomIreland Yeah, You!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.