1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Access violation error: Can't play game! :(

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by DrBob3002, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

I've already tried reinstalling once. Guess I'll try running it as admin again.

2. VenomIreland

VenomIreland Yeah, You!

3. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

Welp still nothing. I think it's safe to say by this point that running in admin is a possible solution to the error but that it doesn't always work. Guess I'll have to wait for a patch.

4. deadmeat1471

deadmeat1471 Space Spelunker

I'll redownload it, if it doesnt work i'll just play singleplayer until people figure this out :D

5. Remzy

Remzy Void-Bound Voyager

I've got Win 8.1 x64 and no trouble for me

6. mikehancoski

mikehancoski Void-Bound Voyager

7. Knawx

Knawx Star Wrangler

I'm also receiving this error, but only when I try to Launch a Server. The single player works fine. Have tried all the suggestions so far with no luck.

Windows 7 64bit
    Installed to my E: drive

Jumpahead likes this.
  8. Jumpahead

Jumpahead Void-Bound Voyager

I have the same problem as Knawx as well as it deletes my world. Man this is frustrating as hell :p

9. Knawx

Knawx Star Wrangler

It is frustrating, but also expected. It's a beta that has only been out for a few hours.. haha. I'm sure these things will be ironed out over the coming days and weeks! :whoop:

10. Archrandom

Archrandom Subatomic Cosmonaut

I had success after running steam in admin and then opening the starbound application from the folder as admin, it opened the launcher twice for some strange reason but it did get past the error and into the game.

11. SammiRei

SammiRei Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having the same trouble, even after running Steam in Administrator mode. Right now I'm seeing if re-installing it will help.

12. losinator501

losinator501 Intergalactic Tourist

Running Steam as administrator after fully exiting it worked for me. Game hangs after chucklefish, but wait a few min and it's fine.

13. TZer0

TZer0 Master Chief

This worked for me.
    Win 8 - 64 bit.

14. Waltzy

Waltzy Space Hobo

For those of you where the admin fix has not worked (and on Win 7 - 64x) The following fix worked for me:

Go to:

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\

Rename starbound.exe to starbound_Old.exe

Rename starbound_opengl to starbound.exe

Then launch through steam, and it should work (It's probably a good idea to set everything to launch as admin as well as this may (or may not ) be necessary)

I'm not sure why but it looks like this error can also be caused by the non-open gl version.

Note: It will probably hang on the logo screen for a bit, leave it a min or two and you'll be good to go!

15. jollyrotten

jollyrotten Master Chief

This may not be applicable for a lot of you, but I get an access violation when the game crashes but the starbound process is still running. If I try to relaunch the game with that old process still going I'll get an acess violation error after choosing my character (single player) but if I manual go in and terminate the old process, the game runs fine.

16. Rhulen

Rhulen Space Spelunker

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks *---------*

Problem Solved

17. yingk7

yingk7 Space Spelunker

I keep getting this error during the re spawning animation screen and crashed the game. I am using win 7 64bit

18. Wh00pAss

Wh00pAss Orbital Explorer

Find both of these files and do the following on each of them:

(steam install folder)...steamapps\common\starbound\win32\starbound.exe
    (steam install folder)...steamapps\common\starbound\win32\launcher\launcher.exe

Right click, properties and tick "Run this program as administrator" under privilege level of the compatibility tab.

Wh00pAss

19. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

I've done that, and I'm getting the same error. Steam is running in admin mode as well.

20. Wh00pAss

Wh00pAss Orbital Explorer

Odd, delete your starbound.log file from the starbound folder, re-run it, then post the contents of the log file here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.