1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Access violation error: Can't play game! :(

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by DrBob3002, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaelART

ZaelART Space Hobo

I have the exact same problem and I have windows 8 64bit OS, running the program in win7 compatibility or running as an administrator has not alleviated the issue. The error also references E:/steamworks which does not exist.

2. DragDay7

DragDay7 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please close game and steam before running as administrator. It works. CLOSE STEAM BEFORE LAUNCHING AS ADMINISTRATOR. :) Doesn't matter if you launch game as administrator. Steam must be running as administrator in first place.

Akuru likes this.
  3. importflip

importflip Aquatic Astronaut

Navigate to the steam folder for the game. Open properties for starbound.exe, starbound_opengl.exe, and the launcher.exe. (found in the win32 directory within steamapps)

Run compatibility for Windows 7 (if you are on W8/8.1)

Run as Admin for all three.

Should launch.

The game will hang after the Chucklefish logo, just sit and wait, and then it will launch.

Shownder likes this.
  4. Akuru

Akuru Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks DragDay7. I'd tried other methods, and yours worked perfectly for me! All other visitors to this thread, make sure you've tried running Steam in Administrator mode :)

5. Shownder

Shownder Scruffy Nerf-Herder

CONFIRMED this worked for me!

6. Ziiro

Ziiro Void-Bound Voyager

Oddly, I turned that on, nothing worked. I pressed "launch" and nothing happened. When I toggled it back off and launched? Works just fine.

7. EveHawkthorne

EveHawkthorne Intergalactic Tourist

Tried all of this. Nothing. Still the same crash.

8. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

Tried running as admin, still getting access violation.

9. DragDay7

If you are getting access violation even with running as administrator then simply you are doing it wrong.

Read carefully - CLOSE STEAM before running it as administrator. The game wont launch itself as admin until steam does.

Hamsteri likes this.
  10. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

I've done exactly that, it is still giving the error.

11. VenomIreland

VenomIreland Yeah, You!

I've done the same, I've also tried several compatibility modes and running steam itself as admin, but I still get the access violation when trying to launch the game.

12. Hamsteri

Hamsteri Orbital Explorer

Yeah! If close Steam... And run starbound.exe as administrator in Windows 8.1 x64 = Profit. Now work! :)

13. oOort

oOort Industrial Terraformer

Exact same issue here.

Windows 8.1 64-bit

Closed steam completely, ran as admin, same issue. Ran compatibility mode, same issue. Restarted computer, re-opened steam in admin mode, and even opened starbound.exe in admin mode. Same issue. Ran in admin, and compatibility mode, and this time I got it to not even start! Amazing.

14. DragDay7

Sorry to hear that guys. No need to launch starbound.exe as admin since its getting on through Steam anyway - it will not work if steam is already running with lower rights than admin does. Can one of you screen it, the error ?

15. Marviei

Marviei Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting the same error, but it appears when i try to open a mutlplayer server, the process stays at "scanning for port fowarding", when it completes, it gives me the error., any ideas?

16. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

Fist error is this
    [​IMG]

Followed by a stack trace
    [​IMG]

17. deadmeat1471

deadmeat1471 Space Spelunker

The errors, for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. DragDay7

@Anderan this is exacly the same error i was getting before i ran it as administrator tbh.

@deadmeat1471 urs looks like passing "running as admin" issue and theres something another on your way. I'd try to redownload the game, should be good thing for a beginning ;x

19. xaverjin

xaverjin Space Hobo

I have the same problem, running Windows 7 64 bit.

20. TheDrillKeeper

TheDrillKeeper Void-Bound Voyager

Had the same errors as Anderan, closed Steam, ran as administrator, still get the same errors. Attempting reinstall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.