1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Access denied launch error

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by ElectricGrey, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectricGrey

ElectricGrey Poptop Tamer

When I click Launch Starbound from the launcher it sits there and then pops up with a error window saying Access violation detected at 0x76533134 error, then comes up with Stack Trace window with a bunch of different lines of numbers.
    I've tried the run as administrator and compatibility mode fixes but they don't work for me. Is there any other fixes that have worked for anyone else?
    Access violation error.png Stack trace.png

kenyle likes this.
  2. kenyle

kenyle Space Spelunker

Have same issue, please let me know if you get arround it.
    Will do the same.

3. ElectricGrey

Looked into the bug a bit more, tried some new fixes and still no luck. :/ Hopefully by the next update they fix it.

4. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

I've had this since before the patch. Still haven't been able to play :/

I've tried literally every fix so far, nothing's working :(

5. ElectricGrey

Here is my error log.

Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    Info: Loading Star::Configuration from '..\starbound.config'
    Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    Info: Client version 'Beta v. Frustrated Koala' '621' '424'
    Info: Starting from the title screen
    Info: Initialized SDL
    Info: Initialized SDL Video
    Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    Error: Access violation detected at 0x75143134 (Read of address 0x775f22c0)
    Error: Stack Trace...
    007D8090 (C:/starbound/source/core/StarSignalHandler_windows.cpp:16)
    658E709C
    658E737F
    658E740D
    658E7D30
    658E2AC6
    658E9B58
    658E9C47
    753C6381
    753FC2CC
    753B6E44
    771E010A
    753C0751
    6D9D2114
    6D9D27EE
    7512336A
    77209F72
    77209F45

I'm having the same problem too Jman1177 :/

6. Jman1177

This doesn't seem to be much of a mainstream problem, it's just a small group of us who can't play because of it ^.^

I'm gunna experiment with some more creative solutions (will try out alternate user accounts again post-patch, plus a bunch of other methods now that the patch is out). I'll post here if I find something, but I dobut it's something we can fix without a developer response. :(

7. Vashra

Vashra Space Hobo

I get this error every 3rd-4th time I launch the game, If you just shut down the Starbound.exe through your task manager processes and reopen it all I have found it eventually opens. I know its a pretty dumb fix to just keep retrying but maybe it'll work for you? If you just keep trying to launch over and over the Starbound.exe in the processes seems to just duplicate and take up more and more memory causing the crash to happen again and again.

8. Jman1177

Heh, no. I've tried so many time that my in-game time is listed as 2 hours. I run the game, when it fails I close the starbound.exe and launcher.exe in the task manager >.>

9. Vashra

Vashra Space Hobo

But do you also close it from processes, not just applications?

10. Jman1177

Yea, that's what I meant. Closed them out via the processes tab of the task manager. I'd like to think of myself as pretty tech savvy but this is making me crazy. The game runs, I can see it using CPU, and then I get the error after a few seconds.

Here's a list of the main things I've tried so far. Suffice to say, I can't think of anything else to try.

*Renaming launcher to starbound.exe so it runs directly from steam- same error
    *Copying the libary 32 file to the launcher directory- fixed the launcher so it shows up, game still doesnt work
    *_sammy_'s SDL fix- same error
    *setting all programs, including steam, to admin mode- same problem
    *Setting all programs, including steam, to not admin mode- same problem
    *Both of the above in a non-admin user account separate from the main one
    *Running openGL version- same error but with different values after the access error
    *Uninstalling and Re-installing Microsoft C++, OpenSSL, and DirectX - same error
    *Uninsalling/Re installing the game multiple times, and also verifying the files - same error
    *Running game in -safe mode through steam - Same error
    *Disabling antivirus, and setting full access for starbound programs and steam- same error
    *Creating a bat file to launch the game on just one core, rather than all 4- same error
    *Preforming a ritualistic dance over my computer while thinking happy thoughts
    *And of course, restarting the computer :)

And like I said, I close down the starbound.exe and launcher.exe process after each failed attempt.

Are you guys aware of any fixes I haven't tried yet? As far as I can tell, I literally exhausted all of them. Short of buying a new computer, I can't think of anything.

dj21095 likes this.
  11. dj21095

dj21095 Astral Cartographer

Im just glad im not alone with this one.. we really need a dev to look at this.. until then i guess il just have to wait... :whistle:

12. Exi1e

Exi1e Zero Gravity Genie

I've been reporting this bug for days now. No response from the devs. I even posted my .log and computer specs. I'm utterly frustrated with this game and I haven't even played it yet. I have around an hour and a half of play time literally just because I am trying to solve this issue.

13. Jman1177

Yeah, I think they thought that the xp fix might have also fixed this. Apparently it didn't. I've got 2 hours of playtime on steam now and I haven't even launched the game itself yet >.>

I'm sure the devs are just overwhelmed with stuff right now. This is super frustrating but... Well, I think I've literally tried everything I can possibly do, so it's in their hands now. It might be nice if there was a "bugs we're aware of" list we'd know if it was being worked on. I'm sure they'll get to it soon though :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    dj21095 likes this.
  14. dj21095

Now im at 27 hours and still haven't played... what to do?

15. Jman1177

Just to point it out, the latest update (Dec 11) has not resolved the issue.

PopehatXI and dj21095 like this.
  16. dj21095

I have tried getting the devs from other posts to look at this and still nothing... :(

17. Sythis_Sythes

Sythis_Sythes Void-Bound Voyager

I actually had this problem at one point, turns out that backing up my characters in my player file in a zip file made the game error out, probably tried to read it or something. So if you have anything in the starbound local files that shouldn't be there, remove them first and then see if the game starts for you.

18. Jman1177

Nope, it's totally cleaned out. I've never managed to run the game in the first place, so there's no saves to mess things up. I appreciate the advice though :)

dj21095 likes this.
  19. dj21095

Jman1177 That makes 2 of us.. but for me its probably not a bad think I have to study for finals and finish up about 250 college algebra problems...:facepalm:

20. ElectricGrey

I've installed it on another computer and it has the same problem. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.