1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

About the space station...

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by iblob, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

So unlocking new parts of the space station sounds cool! But how exactly do you unlock them considering this is a sandbox game?

Irrelephant likes this.
  2. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

I can give my speculative views and then we can wait for someone to come in, inform me I'm incorrect and that something completely different has already been confirmed.
    So let's do that!

I would hope that the emphasis on completing missions/quests would be what unlocks newer and more advanced/useful areas of the space station, personally. Perhaps there could even be certain areas that remain locked until you find the NPC that opens those areas up (a la wizard/goblin/mechanic from Terraria).

3. Gemini

Gemini Subatomic Cosmonaut

My understanding is that to build certain things, we'll need blueprints and for most things we'll need a crafting station on the space station, so I would assume that you find a blueprint either as a random drop or by completing a mission(quest) and then gather materials and then craft it. Maybe equip it if that's needed.

Edit: Or unlock them as a mission reward like Afterscore said.

4. Kewlan

Kewlan Star Wrangler

I think you get it from completing missions or crafting them with certain materials, like stated above.

5. Keithblu

Keithblu Void-Bound Voyager

I'm seriously hoping this gets some TLC from the devs at least later on in development. It could do with a little sandboxyness itself. For instance, installing new modules onto space station or adding defenses or having to manage housing new npc's with custom fitted room modules..etc.

I am going to look this up in suggestions and probably create the thread for it in a couple of days if the OP of this thread doesn't do it first, and it isn't already there!

6. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

I just want to know if you can reorganize it in any manner you see fit. Like "i want this over here now!"

7. Keithblu

Ya I'm kinda leaning toward that. I imagine it could get really boring if you have to visit the same ol' drab, "youv'e seen one, you've seen 'em all" space station every time you want to do something off-planet.

Variety is the spice of space!

xSpartanLazerx likes this.
  8. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Of course, then on multiplayer severs there needs to be a way to give permissions to specific players so not anyone can come a fudge up your station

9. Keithblu

Well, this type of discussion is exactly why I'm currently scanning the suggestion forums for this. I'm aiming to make this thread, but I'd really like to give the op a chance to do it first, since it was originally started as their idea.

On the topic of permissions to destroy stuff: I really think this is going to be handled by simply making space-station interiors a non-combat zone. This may or may not be, but the emphasis of the game seems to be on the planets, and exploring/fighting/building in them, not the space station. I'm just of the mind that a little customization(even sandbox level) could be called for even for the space station, since it DOES have to coexist with the procedurally-generated awesomeness of random planets/creatures/tech in the game!

EDIT: Found the thread already made in suggestions Your Spaceship Upgrades a Space Station Room and More

10. Bormac

Bormac Starship Captain

Hmm, dunno about those! The station should be intact, but rather barren I think..or perhaps even damaged... ah hey...that might be interesting.. you have to find npcs that can repair the different systems to make different pieces of the station habitable..perhaps you find it it is heavily battle damaged and.. that is part of the progress of the game. I bet that's already been confirmed too though. ; } Seems how it goes! I'd like it if you could model the station in different manners , so players wind up with different stations rather than everyone having the same thing. Maybe one for military where you could train people to defend your outposts, defends itself.. perhaps better scanners etc. Or a trade station that can send out trade convoys to different friendly planets you've discovered...science base that can help you unlock tech you might not be able to get otherwise? Or perhaps even more deep stuff than that.

11. Chickenlord

Chickenlord Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, the idea of perhaps needing to find knowledgeable NPCs seems like a pretty cool thought. Maybe you could find salvaged machinery and blueprints and then sort of redeem them with an NPC who has the know how in that field. For example if you found a doctor and brought him medical supplies he could set up a medical wing on the station.

12. bioemerl

bioemerl Subatomic Cosmonaut

the worst way
    "you need 5 iron blocks to unlock the next portion of the space station"

the best way
    "I really have no idea"

13. Chickenlord

Chickenlord Void-Bound Voyager

That's true actually, purely resource based unlocking can become pretty cumbersome. Hopefully the devs have a good (non-grindy) idea already as far as upgrading the station goes.

Skyblade799 likes this.
  14. Bixxith

Bixxith Void-Bound Voyager

I'd assume through the missions or quests mentioned.

15. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Smelt a key.

16. bioemerl

I hope to see much less grining in this game than in terraria.

bone serpents....

17. Bormac

Bormac Starship Captain

I'm sure there will be grinding, but I doubt it will be as repetitive. You only had one world to work with, in Terraria. Here you have all kinds. And a much bigger tech tree you can mess with. It isn't a straight line anymore, at least I hope so.. so if you get bored you can always go and do something else.

Skyblade799 and bioemerl like this.
  18. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

I get where you're coming from but weren't you really happy after you got the Sunfury?

19. bioemerl

"after i got the sunfury"
    well, i had to trade for one, and then got the second one after the chest update so... no
    random number gens HATE me.

20. Urza_

Urza_ Void-Bound Voyager

My guess is that it would be either money-based, time-based, or level-based.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.