Modding Help About adding custom races to bounty hunting.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by alexhei1, Sep 18, 2021.

1. alexhei1

alexhei1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tl;dr: I want to add a modded race to the pool of possible bounty hunting targets. Is it even possible?

Now in detail: I'm currently working on a mod, which adds in a new race. While doing so, I noticed that there are no actual modded races in the pool of bounty hunting targets, as far as I know.

At this point I'm doubting if this is even possible, especially for someone like me, who doesn't know how to handle lua-related stuff (if that is even needed).

If it actually is possible:
    How hard is it and how can I do it?

I'm thanking for any help and insights in advance!

2. Lemon drops

Lemon drops Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes it is possible, I have done it with one of my own mods.
    To do this you will need to patch some of the files in /quests/bounty to include your modded race.

you will need to patch:
    bounty.config
    clue_bounties.config
    clue_npcs.config

3. alexhei1

Thank you for the info!

So, if I'm getting this right, then I should do something along the lines of this to add my race:

[
    {
    "op": "add",
    "path": "/species",
    [ "myspecies" ]
    }
    ]

If this isn't right, could you show me how you did it?

4. Lemon drops

It would be for the best to look at the vanilla files to figure it out, since it is a lot more tedious than that. (unfortunately)

5. alexhei1

I've tried looking at the files you mentioned before posting my last message.
    I'm afraid that they didn't help me much then, because that's all I could come up with.

6. Lemon drops

for bounty.config.patch you have to do:

[
    { "op" : "add",
    "path" : "/npc/species/-",
    "value" : "<your species goes here>"
    }
    ]

This will make them generate, but you still have to patch in their dialog, which is built into clue_npcs.config and clue_bounties.config.

7. alexhei1

Ah, that'll definetly help! I've already added in loads of dialogue to other configs, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for helping me out!