A very late introduction, including philosophy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by cvbbot, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never actually got to truly like a post for what it was worth, but now I do, so that'll give back the special effect of actually liking. Woop for universe restoration :whoop:

Evangelion likes this.
  2. Daashi

Daashi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Dude you're one of my homies (I've been playing too much Saint's Row). If cvbbot can't alter his alter his alert system then that is not your problem (because it is that damn simple).

3. cvbbot

cvbbot Pangalactic Porcupine

Now you guys are just making me feel like the very, very bad guy.
    Core, perhaps you should keep "liking" introduction posts, especially the OP's, so that newcomers will indeed feel a bit more welcome. Also, once again, don't be so hard on yourself, that's not how i mean it. Having to turn off like alerts just for Core would be pretty silly considering what that system was mostly meant for, which is knowing someone actually liked your post.
    From now on Core, like posts when people should feel welcomed, and like posts that you yourself actually Like.
    I also know what it's like when you just want to make people happy and instead end up annoying them.
    Here is a smiley because this post sounds like i'm mad and ranting, which i'm not ;)

4. Daashi

It seem that you and I view the way the like system works very differently. I don't care one way or the other if my posts are liked or not (well I hope that people consider my posts spam-y but that is another issue), I want to know whether posts by other people are considered worthwhile by the community. Does the people who liked a certain posts share the same views or was it considered funny and/or relevant.

In short I see the like system as a means of self policing and moderating the forums so it does not descend into the spam filled/flame baiting hell holes that many a previous forum have become.

I am sorry for assuming that people saw the like system the same way I saw it. And I am sorry for calling you out, it was disrespectful of me and again sorry.

5. cvbbot

That's my view of it as well, but still, we can do just fine without it too, right?

6. Daashi

Peace offering. :cookie:

cvbbot likes this.
  7. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, that's exactly what I'm doing cvbbot, going to like the OP's post, because they should always feel like they did a good job of introducing themsevles :p

2DBurrito and cvbbot like this.
  8. 2DBurrito

2DBurrito Star Wrangler

Don't look down upon your self cvbbot, your personality, in my opinion, is one that many people would and probably will look upon for inspiration and/or leadership.
    Your personality is one that isn't often seen in such community's, its probably just because I don't get enough outside social interaction for a teen, but still for such a young age (Even if you are faking like some people do :zzz:) your quite adult minded. With all your talk about philosophy and ethics, or is that how all 16 year olds behave?
    Most people your age does who knows what at my school, but honestly you really quite inspiration and leadership worthy.As for the relationship part, you will find that special someone even it does take a millennium.

*Note* - I am presumably crap at words...... Dont you agree? :up:

Core likes this.
  9. cvbbot

Well thanks :). I really am 16 (aged 2 weeks ago). I know what you mean, when i look around me at school, all i see is stupidity. I hate my own generation. Humans are just dumbing down every day and that's what makes it even more difficult to find the right people.
    Your grammar isn't the greatest, but it's really good enough to be understood and pass a deep meaning, like you did.

2DBurrito and Core like this.
  10. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I have a question, how many people are in your school? In my small town high school, we numbered at about 400. Many schools hold multiple thousands of students. In that number, if there's even 1% of people who think like you, which I guarantee you there are, there will be several who you can find and talk to. Simply meet people, talk to them, watch them, see who is around you, you probably share classes with easily over 100 people through a high school school day. It might be even easier if your school has a GT (Gifted and Talented) program and you're in it. That hooked me up with Jesse Ellison, a fellow student that built ion engines in his spare time, and showed me his various models and simulations he's messed with. A Google search shows that he was part of the CubeSat program, With HeDI:Helium Doppler Imager. It's kinda amazing that I managed to talk to this guy every tuesday for a semester while in high school. I doubt that your school is any different, there will be people like that there, too.
    Also, whatever you do, keep your grades up, if you find yourself alone, realize that there are people out there, and that if you go to the right place, you will find them. The right place will probably be a good college; but places like Colorado School of Mines (the college that I desperately wanted to get into) aren't easy to enter, you will need to have good grades even if you think that the classes you're taking are asinine and boring (which if you're in a GT program, might help you with, too, skipping classes if you can demonstrate proficiency and allowing for self-study that most students don't get.)

11. cvbbot

Well you must know, in my country, education is very different compared to any other country, especially the US. 2 years ago i went to a regular high school, where there was around 500-1000 students, not sure. Schools here aren't that big. After my two first years i chose Electronics, so i had to go to another school, and here there are around 500 students. In both schools, i have never discovered any people who show any similar behaviour. If i looked around myself, all i saw were kids who were either the typical "swagtastic new generation kiddos", or were just the kind of kids who'd play soccer all day. There were a lot less gifted students than You would probably have in your school, and none of them showed any such interests. Most of them were either into chess or were just good at their lessons, math, languages, and such. The school i'm going to now, is just a similar school, but with technical classes, like Electricity, Mechanics, Electronics, and more. Although the education "grade" here is lower, so there are pretty much no gifted kids at all, or they are older than me, which makes it pretty difficult to meet them in the school community we have here. And we don't have such gifted student programs or any sort of special activities for students that show more interest in knowledge than others.
    But yeah, all i care about at school is mostly learning, and i do focus on keeping my grades up, so that when i'm done with school i can have a proper job and make the money i need to make aforementioned dreams come true. Also, electricity, electronics, mechanics, physics, and such, are my passion, so at least i'll end up with a job i actually like doing. Though i also plan on going to university or perhaps, with the right funding, even go to America and go to school there.
    Just know that making big choices in life, like that, is not as simple in my country as it is in America.
    Hopefully i'll meet interesting people while i'm doing what i should be doing, instead of looking around for them.

12. Hello cvbbot. I would like to extend my welcome. I can't say that I agree with your philosophy 100%, but I can see where you're coming from. In general, I don't care much for the human race; however, I know a lot of wonderful individuals. I even joke every now and again about sending all the ignorant people to another planet, so the wonderful people can just chill on earth and make it a wonderful place to be. I think we all probably have thought something similar at one point or another, but if we were truly able to get rid of anyone we didn't like and surround ourselves with people we can relate to (people who think like us), things would be pretty dull. Also, for this to truly work, people would need to remain who they are at that point for the duration of their lives, which would also make things rather dull.

Everything changes and everyone is different, and that's part of the beauty of this world. Change and differences from one person, place, or thing to another helps us appreciate the things we love even more and keeps things interesting. I also don't think breaking people into groups of good and bad or right and wrong is that simple. Humans are very complex, and while you may not like or agree 100% with everyone you encounter, you may find commonalities if you dig a bit deeper. I think this planet would be a much nicer place to be if we all learned how to tolerate or even love others despite our differences.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to live in a world where everyone worried only about themselves. I feel that it would be a very chaotic and unpleasant place to be. I think caring or worrying about how you affect others, animals, or the planet helps you evolve. On one hand, you can say that none of this matters if the world isn't even real, but I suppose I'd rather not take that chance. I'd rather try to be a positive force, even if it may not make a difference in the end.

In any case, you seem like a very intelligent and thoughtful person, and it's always nice to have people like you around the forums. I shall leave you with this -- don't write people off so easily because they truly may surprise you. :)

13. cvbbot

I actually have to agree a lot with you. You indeed can't turn the world around into such an egocentric mess. I guess the society we have built up is also good, because if everyone would want to do what they want, it'd be one hell of a chaos. Though it DOES all finally come down to the point that there are two groups; people like the ones i have met here, great guys, who will keep such things in account and focus more on having fun in their lives; and then there are the people who are more a part of society, and will care more about family, people they don't know, the world, and other things, even if they don't get to witness them.
    The world would indeed be nicer if there weren't so many people who are just part of the regular society, who just go with the flow and don't feel like evolving; while there should be more people who study, and scientists, and just generally people who contribute to humanity. I myself really like watching how something grows. Whether it's an ant colony, or an NPC village in some some sort of game, or humanity itself. That's why i enjoy History, and watching how humans grew from prehistoric apes to structure-building, intelligent civilizations. Also, yes, people should be more tolerant, that's something you'll keep hearing :p
    And thanks for the compliments :)

14. 2DBurrito

2DBurrito Star Wrangler

Thank you Cvbbot, i will look to improve on my grammar capabilities :lolwut:. As for stupidity, i agree with the fact that human race is dumbing it self down every day, but look on the bright side, look at the other people who are generally intellectual in there field of work. As a matter of fact, you are probably one of those people. The ones who will make a change in this dull world, even if you don't know it yet.

Core and cvbbot like this.
  15. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

I can't seem to understand your viewpoint. You say there's the other type of people who are more part of the regular part of society, the ones who care about people they don't know, the world, or family... But then you say the world would be much nicer if there were less people who are part of the regular society? Humanity is dark and shows a pathetic history to show how we got where we are, but that doesn't mean the ones who actually care about improving things and caring for others should be lessened. Keeping things in account and having fun is something that needs to be a part of your life, but I'd give my life in an instant if it were to bring about world peace in a pure hypothetical situation.

16. cvbbot

Well i mean we can't do without regular people. We still need them to be there, because if the world would only look into the future, who's gonna take care of the present?
    A crude way of saying it, that i keep in the back of my head at all times, is simply: The world runs on dumb and smart people. Usually, the smart people will come up with new things and offer services, goods, and such to the dumb people, who, in return, offer labour and funding to the smart people, so they can continue what they are doing. So, we can't go on without neither of the two.

17. Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Juice Box is most interested in your "exotic" style. Welcome to the community!
    Here's a free gift, :poo: (Juice Box was never good with prizes)

2DBurrito and Core like this.
  18. cvbbot

Don't be so hard on yourself, Juice Box. That's the best prize i've ever got (except for that book about dragons i won at a library contest, that thing was a holy-shitter).

Core and Juice Box like this.
  19. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

No, I understand what you're saying with the equal balanece of laboring jobs and ones revolved around the future. (I certainly wouldn't call them dumb people, that's just silly.)
    What I'm confused about, is who exactly are the people that are dumb, and who are the ones that are smart? Because from the last post it seemed like the dumb ones were the ones from regular society in which you say, care for others and things of that nature.

20. cvbbot

Heh, my dumb and smart people "theory" thing is actually just a simple representation of economics and society. It often depends from situation to situation who's the dumb and smart person. Once again, "dumb" and "smart" are not the best words to describe it.
    For instance, there's an engineer who invents all kinds of useful trinkets to make life easier. Then there's a regular laborer, who works at a factory, as a regular worker. He works to get money, to support his own life and perhaps also that of his family. The engineer, offers his great ideas to the people, and the regular guy buys them. In return, the engineer gets money so he can fund his own life and continue what he's doing, while the regular guy can have an easier life because of what the engineer did. So, the engineer helped the regular guy out and got money in return, while the regular is being one of the many that keep the economy running, and basically all the background stuff. So, the "dumb" and "smart" person are probably not going to switch positions very often.
    But what if they are both people who have something they need? Well then they're both the "dumb" and the "smart" guy respectively, depending on who needs what from the other.

Goddammit actually that's just a simple explanation of jobs and services people offer. I don't even remember where i got the "dumb and smart people" idea from.
    I'd prefer to say there's the "Background people" and the "Future people", if that makes any sense.

Uh, what are you talking about. Did i uh, miss something?