A very late introduction, including philosophy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by cvbbot, Aug 22, 2013.

1. cvbbot

cvbbot Pangalactic Porcupine

If i think deeper though, there is no world to me. There is just the mind, and i don't even know anymore why i should care about the entire world. I should only care about what i, myself, will see, and what i can experience. So-called "life" has only one purpose, which is having fun and feeling great. Why?
    Let me just put it this way:
    People who are born as humans and feel obligated to do something for humanity, getting nothing in return, make a mistake. Instead, you should make your own life as good as possible, because it doesn't last very long. At least, that's what we think. We don't know what comes after so-called "death". Do we stop perceiving things? Does our mind just stop?

I need to try to explain this differently, i'm quite bad at putting things to words, but i need to keep practicing it so someday i can explain it to others. Better put this in another post.

Core likes this.
  2. cvbbot

Oh boy here we go, notepadded the shit out of myself.

Let's start from this point:
    What is real and what's just a thought? When we "see", "smell", "feel", etc, it's actually a signal being sent to our brain.
    Our eyes, for example, are peripherals of the mind. They will send a signal to the brain, saying, "i see a dog". The brain will receive this and it will also receive an image from the eyes, so you can actually "see" the dog. Now, actually, these are all thoughts being processed by our brain.
    The same with feelings, the same with smells, all that. Now imagine this in such a scenario:
    Your brain is in a laboratory. You have no eyes, you have no nose, you have nothing, you're just a brain in a jar.
    Side note: people have told me i got this from the movie The Matrix. As a matter of fact, i haven't seen the movie. I'm not trying to claim that my idea is original, but i'm just saying i never got any inspiration from The Matrix. I have no idea in what way this is depicted there and how they explain it. What i assume though, is that a movie is probably not going to go very deep into detail about it, so i guess this will be a bit more in-depth than the Matrix.
    Now back to the other stuff. Say these scientists have hooked up wires to your brain, in such a way, that they can manipulate what your brain perceives. They can send a signal to your brain that will create an image of a dog, even though it's not physically there. They could also send you a signal that you can smell the dog because it's wet and god dammit, that's a terrible smell. In fact, these two don't even have to be correct to eachother. They could send you a signal so you see a dog, but you can hear it meow instead of barking. They could fully manipulate you, and you would have no idea, because you're just a brain in a jar.
    Or perhaps not?
    How do you know for sure, that you are a physical brain, in a jar. Why wouldn't you just be, for example, a computer?
    What it all comes down to, is that you are a mind. You process thoughts. You can tell yourself there is a physical world out there, but there isn't, these are just thoughts.
    For example, you have a 3D game, that's played in an environment, and you can walk around, and such.
    The code of the game actually just simulates that physical environment, and you know it doesn't exist. It's not like if you'd open up your computer, there would be a tiny miniature world inside it, with a camera that moves around whenever you walk around in the game.
    All that happens, is the code, the engine, creates an environment, which is actually just code. It draws images to your screen, and you think you're in a physical environment.
    And it's pretty much exactly the same for our mind. The physical world we think we live in are actually just thoughts. What is "real"?

A few weeks ago, i watched the movie called The Truman Show. I was baffled by how greatly this goes along with how i perceive the "world".
    If you haven't watched it, let me sum it up. A guy called Truman (forgot his full name), played by Jim Carrey by the way, lives a regular life. What he doesn't know however, is that he lives in one big set-up environment, where all the people around him are just actors, and his whole life is just a big television series, where he can make his own decisions, but where everything around him is played by actors.
    And this is what the mind is like. All the other people you hear/see, are also just processed in your mind. Basically, you could have just made them up, and they would play in your life story.

Now you may be thinking though, if that's really what i call "life", then what's the point of "living"?
    Well, the truth is, i have no idea either. But what i do know, and what you know too, is that you have passions, you have a sense of humour, you have hobbies, and you can have fun. After all, when you hear a funny joke, you feel good. You feel good in your mind. It sounds strange and it sounds like this just undoes everything i have said so far, but it actually does not.
    What keeps me going in life, is the fact that i can have fun, and that this fun is also perceived in my mind. It simply feels good, in my mind.
    And that's why, in my opinion, the point of "life" is to have fun, because that's probably the greatest thing you can experience in your mind, even if you don't know the truth about everything around you.

I hope you managed to understand this, if you read it all. This was the first time i summarized a big chunk of my philosophies into one short text, instead of a big, confusing Skype chat box with friends.
    It'd be great if you read it all, and if you actually think about it, instead of claiming to "be touched, oh man" and then forget it all 5 minutes later.

My point, my argument, to all of you, is that in your life, whatever it might actually be, you should care about yourself, and not about things that will in no way prove useful to you.
    HOWEVER, this does not mean you should become egocentric (typo's?) and not interact with other people. This just simply means you should do whatever you like, and sometimes that CAN involve others.
    For example, a big passion of mine is to make other people happy. And even though that means i'm caring about others, i also care about myself by doing so, because i also feel happy whenever another person smiles because of me.

Once again, hope you learned something from this, and i'd love to hear your responses, either good or bad.

tl;dr: You're an idiot, Harry

Core and Pseudoboss like this.
  3. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I have a feeling that this is what you're talking about.
    Also, I have to agree, but I try to put a somewhat more lighthearted spin on things, thinking that since I might exist, and I have a feeling that I probably do, because I have no real argument for or against, so Occom's Razor takes effect and I assume that what I experience is real.
    I try to avoid falling into a pit of hedomism, and decided to take a standpoint that "i'll be as happy as I can while minimizing harm to others." This eventually ended up becoming a fairly utilitarian viewpoint, where i'll help other people when they get more benefit than I get harm.

Core likes this.
  4. Prophet

Prophet Seal Broken

You shall thrive living in another country that has very diverse cultural system. Move to Asia. More specifically Singapore or Japan. Your life, as we know it, will never be the same. And you will live all your days without regret. These are my words to you.​
    Regards,​
    Prophet​

Core likes this.
  5. cvbbot

Yeah, in the end, you never really know what is real and all that. I have more in my mind about this, but i just can't put it to words.
    Anyway, in the end you'll just simply go with it and live in the world you think you live in.
    If someone would want to experience a different world than what we live in right now, he would have to do some serious mind manipulation.
    Say, if you get really, really high, you'll actually start hallucinating, and you might also feel things that aren't there. You're not sure if they're real or fake, and you can't prove it either.

Core likes this.
  6. cvbbot

Wow, just wow. I usually really don't like vSauce explaining such things, and i really don't like his suburbian examples, but i'm glad i kept watching until the second part, because that's where we actually started to agree with eachother. Thanks for sharing this, i'm really glad there are others our there seeing it this way, and i should really talk to them one day.

Core likes this.
  7. Pseudoboss

Indeed, but it's easy to -- if you think that the world is real -- ask someone and see if they saw the source of the sensation. If not, then you can assume that it was a hallucination. They're identifiable because they must stand out in some way. In this case they don't follow the normal rules or at least coherent sensations of the world. They have a source, you got really high.

Core likes this.
  8. cvbbot

Yes, but, what if that person who replies to you, saying that he didn't see it, is just your mind, keeping the "real world" in your mind away from the imaginary world you are trying to create
    Once again, one must practice for years and years to master such manipulation of the mind, to finally try to live in a different physical world. Realism is the option for now, while you keep thinking about other possibilities.

Core likes this.
  9. cvbbot

I must thank you again, Pseudo, for providing me with this video.
    Now that i know there's a word for this philosophy, and that there are other people out there, it'll be much more easier for me to find others who think the same way.
    My life is going to be much more relaxing now, and i'll be able to sleep much better.

Core and Pseudoboss like this.
  10. SilvisMoon

SilvisMoon Big Damn Hero

Core likes this.
  11. Rhayn

Rhayn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah to be young again and ever so certain the world revolves entirely around myself. I am afraid young fellow, that you have yet to say anything new. You are not the only one to have had those thoughts, you are not the only one to have your desires. You are not the centre of all creation. Sorry to be the one to tell you that.
    You are 16 years old and in a few years you will likely look back and say to yourself 'what the heck was I thinking?'
    You say you love knowledge but you have yet you seem to think everything you have mentioned is unique. You are surprised that a thought you had was part of a film, and immediately assumed they couldnt have possibly given as much detail as you could in your few paragraphs.
    Best advice to you is just to not worry. Life happens and will continue to happen no matter what your personal preferences to this are.
    Also a couple more minor points of irritation. You seem to believe you are smarter than everyone else and invite people to speak with you if they can understand your writing...
    You mention you gave up on caring about things a long time ago, yet everthing you have written is purely to gain a response from people, a positive response is most likely wanted.

I am not having a go at you. Not trying to be mean or dismissive, but trying to offer some advice that will benefit you.
    Anyway, have fun. Enjoy your youth and hopefully Starbound will be out soon and you can 'not care' about that too. :)

Core likes this.
  12. cvbbot

Yes, yes. I sound completely stupid and often selfish too at most times. I often trip over my own ideas, and i'm just generally very jumpy with my opinion. Today already, after reading some wikipedia content i have never known about before, i have already started realizing how i should probably set these things aside and just enjoy life. I guess we'll never know if solipsism is actually right. If it is, well, hopefully one day i will manage to manipulate my own mind well enough to be able to live in my own dream world. Also, yes, sorry for the whole Matrix thing. I have never seen the movie but it looks like it has many ideas i also have. I'm currently just still trying to get over the fact that there are much more people out there thinking the same, even if that actually negates everything solipsism claims.
    Anyway, i think i'm done with trying to convince people already. The table has been twisted like crazy and i'm taking a big rest.

On a side note though, please, Core, if you are reading this:
    I'm pretty sure nobody wants this, and you're just being quite pointless and also annoying. What do you even think you are achieving by this? Or are you perhaps automated to do this?
    [​IMG]

13. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

:( Okay... I won't do it to you anymore, sorry... On a sidenote, there is an option to turn like alerts off, which comes handy when dealing with me. And no, I will never be one of those sick bots. Alright though, I won't like your posts anymore then. (Nuuu)

14. Pseudoboss

Yeah, I turned off the like alerts because it's kinda disappointing to go and be like "oh! I got a new alert!" and see "Core has liked your post. . ."
    It makes sadfish sad. :(

15. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Alright, I guess I'll just stop liking posts entirely then. Sorry for all the trouble. :(

EDIT: I feel I owe a reason why I do this. I figured, like I did, that when people get likes first, they want more of it. And since they see a pattern of me liking every post, that more people who come to participate and say hello to the newcomers. Although I never knew it would have more of a negative effect. Eh, sorry me sounding baddiebirdbad, just had a horrible day with school issues. But uh yeah, sorry for dis inconvinience with liking. Core switching of da likies ;)

Daashi likes this.
  16. Pseudoboss

I do like seeing that my posts have been liked, I just don't like being informed on every single one I get. It's more of a fault of the alerts system than of you.

17. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I know cvbbot doesn't give a turd about some idiotic minor 13 year old, and being exactly that, I should have thought about stopping to give cvbbot a chance to cool...but I didn't and the truth hit me hard on the face. But I also have to thank cvbbot and you from stopping me before an even worser person grasped me by the neck for it. Ah, but it's done now. And it IS my fault, cause I drove the system mad :giggle: it didn't like me liking X3

18. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Dude, don't be so hard on yourself. Effort in an attempt to be nice outweighs the possible annoyance it might bring, which in this case is fairly low since I don't post THAT much on welcome threads.

19. Core

Core Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, being as I post on every single thread, I do see how that would be of an annoyance, plus I do like to see everyone's others likes instead of cvbbot's and Pseudoboss's exact reason of seeing "Ah, this moron again" lol :p I'll still like, just not as much as I do now.

20. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Haha don't worry, no one thinks you're a moron. It doesn't matter much anyways since they'll only receive one update for their liked post. But hey, whatever you feel like doing man.

Core likes this.