1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue A Very annoying issue with starbound teleporters

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Wyream, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Wyream

Wyream Poptop Tamer

Before complaining about this VERY VERY VERY annoying issue, let me state that his happened 2 times before and I've cried myself to sleep for like 2 months straight and this is the 3rd time, which is why I'm complaining here.

The problem is :

My computer / battery is unstable and keeps shutting down or the game keeps crashing from time to time, only happens once a month or so, the sadder news is that Starbound has got to be the worst game when it comes to handling with crashes etc. because I've lost my character over 4 times with the files getting deleted as well, but this time luckily my character and all my stuff is still here... except for all my teleport locations, I lost 3 COLONIES before ! I've lost 2 more thanks to this problem, AGAIN, can anyone PLEASE help me with this, It's been happening, my character files are saved and backed up, all I need is some guidance and I'm sure I can navigate accordingly.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for leaving a comment, I REALLY need the forum's help, I've complained by email before but they didn't reply so :I

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

3. Wyream

Wyream Poptop Tamer

Before I read this, can this restor BOOKMARKED teleports ? I'm not looking for Navigation bookmarks

4. Iris Blanche

Bookmarks are bookmarks regardless of teleporter or ship nav. Bookmarks are tied to the universe uid. I wouldn't have linked it if it wouldn't work.

~ Iris ~

5. Wyream

Wyream Poptop Tamer

The guide is very useless, doesn't actually tell you which file is going to be the planet, doesn't tell you where to find the coordinates or whatever, doesn't tell you whether the outpost counts as a planet or not, it's plain useless to me, is there anything else I can follow ?

6. Iris Blanche

Did you even read it? o_O

~ Iris ~

7. Wyream

Wyream Poptop Tamer

Yes, I'm pretty sure I did, did you? because if I quickly show you the thing here

• Find your universe folder. Typically, it should be located in SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Starbound\storage\universe.

[​IMG]

• Right click -> sort files by date last modified. If your planet’s been heavily customized/built upon, it should be one of the larger files. If you visit it frequently, it should also be one of the most recent.
    • “What do all these numbers mean?!” World files with names like: 270623995_279217314_-213404188_12.world mean that you’ve visited a planet with the coordinates X -270623995 Y -279217314.
    [​IMG]

• Put the coordinates into your ship’s computer and… hopefully, voila! Planet located! If not, try some of the other planets in your universe folder.
    • Now that you’ve found your home planet, don’t forget to create a bookmark. :)
    I hope this proves helpful! We’ll be posting our daily progress update later, as usual. See you then! <3

The steps don't actually tell me how I'm supposed to do, well ANYTHING, read them yourself

Not a single file I have shows the coordinates or whatever, this seems like it's just freestyled

8. Iris Blanche

Okay, here's a quick, but complete writeup on how to fix your player.dat file if the universe has become corrupt. (Just expanding the explanations provided by Trinosaur and Iris Blanche.)

To fix a player.dat file, you have to be able to run programs from the command line, understand directory structures, and use a text editor.

Recovering Teleporter Locations After a Universe has Become Corrupted:

Step 1: Understanding the problem.

The way Starbound saves progress is very, very fragile. If something interrupts it, like a PC crash or power outage, it might lose data. If the universe data is lost this way, it will throw away the old data and create a new file for the universe, losing important information. This new universe will have a new "UUID," a number that uniquely identifies the universe. All of the planet data is still there, though, so the universe can mostly be fixed.

If your player file is intact, but a universe that you play in has been re-generated, then your player file will have all of its bookmarks (flags and teleporters) associated with the UUID for the old universe. When you log into the new universe, the UUID has changed and the bookmarks in your player file won't match the new universe UUID, so you will see no stored teleporter locations.

Step 2: Make a backup.

Back up the entire contents of the storage/ directory under Starbound, so you can replace anything you accidentally break.

Step 3: Fixing the problem.

Using tools provided with Starbound, you can unpack your .player file from its binary format into a human-friendly text format called JSON. Then, using a text editor, you can find where the UUID for the bookmarks is stored, and update it to the UUID for the

Dumping Files to JSON:

In the win32 directory under Starbound is dump_versioned_json.exe. (It'll probably be in a different directory if you're not using Windows.)

You'll need to run dump_versioned_json.exe from the command line. It takes two arguments: the first is a binary .dat file to dump, and the second is the file name to write.

You should export both the .dat file for the universe, and for the .player file to fix. Here's how it might look. (The filename for the player will be different. Steam purchasers, for example, will have different directories.)

Code:
    D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\win32>dump_versioned_json.exe "D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\storage\universe\universe.dat" "D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\universe.json"
    D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\win32>dump_versioned_json.exe "D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\storage\player\9ca17817bd04c5b382b28ebd162c7ccd.player" "D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\player.json"

Fixing the UUID :

Open both .json files you just created with a text editor.

In the universe.json file, you'll see a line like:

Code:
        "uuid" : "8f4a5ef782f9e679221d032067bbbac2",
    What you want is the 32 character value inside the quotes. That's the new UUID for the universe.

Search the player.json file for the word "bookmarks". You'll find at least one line like this:

Code:
        "bookmarks" : [["d1f02b748cf6537014abbd0eabc4284f", [{
    I think if that player has played on different servers, you might have a few lines like it. Right after that line will be a bunch of entries with teleport locations. You should recognize one group of them as the ones you've lost.

See how the two 32 character values are different from the player and universe files? That's why the game can't display your teleport locations correctly. The UUIDs are different.

Fix the problem by copying the UUID from the universe file into the value in the player file.

Turn the player JSON file back into a binary:

There is another tool: make_versioned_json.exe to turn your fixed JSON file back into a .player file.

Use it just like the dump tool, but with the .json file as the first argument, and the .player file as the second.

Code:
    D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\win32>dump_versioned_json.exe "D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\player.json" "D:\Games\GOG Games\Starbound\storage\player\9ca17817bd04c5b382b28ebd162c7ccd.player" 
    Step 4: Test it out!

If this was done correctly, when you restart the game and start playing with that player and universe, your teleport locations should be recovered!

If it didn't work, the best thing to do would be to restore the contents of your storage/ directory from the backup you made earlier and try again. If it gets frustrating, sit down with someone else and walk through the procedure together to try and figure out what might have gone wrong.
    <- there stands everything(!) about recovering the universe data and restoring the bookmarks

~ Iris ~

9. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Hi! I copypasted that information from a relevant blog post.

"World files with names like: 270623995_279217314_-213404188_12.world mean that you’ve visited a planet with the coordinates X -270623995 Y -279217314."

The thing you supposed to do with this information is use the coordinates to find and then visit the planet. Once there, you will need to find the flag you used to create the original bookmark and re-establish it.

And for future reference, the BEST thing you can do going forward is to copy your entire storage folder and back it up somewhere else so that if your game DOES crash again (sounds like a repetitive problem for you) all you need to do is copy the working folder back over the corrupted one to get things working again. It would save you so much heartache. All of this information can be found in that thread that Iris linked. If you want more information or something clarified you will need to be more specific.

10. Wyream

Wyream Poptop Tamer

I messed up and didn't read a few lines, I'm so so terribly sorry, I made your guide seem less than it was, I actually found most of my planets after reading this, I've taken your advice and copied the folder elsewhere again I'm sorry for quoting you out like this and saying it was useless, it was just my bad for not reading a few lines also thank you for creating this wonderful guide, bookmarked :)

Trinosaur likes this.