A Slight Bend to walk on.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by doused, Feb 23, 2012.

1. doused

doused Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In Terraria the world was flat. super flat.

this game can loop back to the start of were you start if you just continued left or right. why not have the game work like that a little. i saw in the screen shots it was flat like terraria. but what if it looked a little like this. (Please excuse my paint skills.)

s.png

so when you are walking it visually looks like you are going in a circle. if you are familar with Animal Crossing DS, just like walking around in that.

Flourish likes this.
  2. Jane Quincy

Jane Quincy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes it would. There'd just be the assumption that the world is VERY large. Although I can see where it would get confusing because technically the world would appear to loop into itself, I can see it working.

Perhaps curvature is based on size?

doused likes this.
  3. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

I'm not really into this idea, it could only really be properly achieved with some sort of warp shader, and that could cause all sorts of problems along the line.

4. Jane Quincy

What if it was a toggleable effect?

Would shaders be way too difficult to implement?

5. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

AFAIK shaders are fairly simple to implement, as they interact with the graphics driver only - making it a toggleable effect would work, I guess.

6. doused

i would really like this as a toggle, much like parralax

7. Ben

Ben Title Not Found

I don't think this would look right, if I build a house or something, it will also curve, and that'll look weird.

8. Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

I think I heard mention of slopes somewhere? ie making it easier to get around in mechs and other vehicles without alot of jumping up square hills. As well as infinite worlds (not even minecraft can pull this off....)
    So yeah, I dunno. In theory its cool but I don't see it happening. I'd love the devs to prove me wrong though. :)

9. Jane Quincy

You naturally walk up 1 high slopes. That's already in the game.

And minecraft did pull of infinite worlds... just as much as this game will. Infinite actually just means more than is physically doable without computer aid when it comes to programming.

10. doused

it would look fine ^_^. it would just make it look warped as if you are actually walking in a circle.

11. Jermex

Jermex The Stampede Forum Moderator

Since you will be able to walk up slopes without jumping, I don't think this is very necessary.
    Plus, the world doesn't look curved to the naked eye.

12. Jane Quincy

Small worlds would.

And yes, the world does look curved to the naked eye... if you're on top of Mt. Everest...

Alright, it would just be for fun, okay!

And what does slopes have anything to do with it?

13. Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

I totally derailed the thread. :/
    As for the infinite world thing, I remembered Notch talking about that on his blog and dug up a link from 2 years ago: here's the plan. I assume he's refined it some since then, but I don't recall ever hearing about truely infinite worlds. Its effective all the same though since you run out of disc space long before you find a world edge. Minecraft worlds are so huge as to be virtually infinite I guess you could say. I imagine Chucklefish could pull off something similar if they wanted to.

Back on topic! An actual looping world that gives a sense of completion would be awesome. Being able to return to your point of origin by traveling in one direction would be cool and convenient. On the other hand, trying to wrap my brain around the idea of a 2D realm complete with the real world logic of a 3D spherical planet is interesting to say the least. Time to go do something stupid so I don't break my brain with science. :p