1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

A Resurgence of Interest

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by WMoose, Dec 18, 2014.

1. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good Evening Moosepeoples.

It has been a while since I felt the need to post on the forums, in between the months of flame, spam, hatred, progress, updates, etc.

Today I come to you because something amazing happened.

When Starbound first went live, despite all the bugs and launch issues, I was able to get into Starbound and experience it for the first time in its then primitive state.

Everything was quite neat, but there was only one thing I really carried with me from that experience when I finally laid down the game to await it in a more complete state.

The Music.

The main theme that I fondly hum to myself every so often, is the track: STELLAR FORMATION -

Today I happened across it and once again was able to enjoy and savor the experience, which has induced a yearning to play this game again, regardless of state.

Have any of you experienced this? Has the majestic score of another song captivated you in such a way that you MUST play the game to sate your thirst for the experience?

If not the music, then what else?

Thanks for sharing this with me. :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Hawk Novablast, SirKaldar and Tamorr like this.
  2. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Subatomic Cosmonaut

The music of Starbound is really pretty nice. Though i've to say that some of the middle parts of this song especially remind me of the Sims theme (or themes?). But nope didn't drive me to play the game again. Guess it didn't become a pavlov conditioning for me.

There've been a few songs though, that always made me want to go back to their games.
    The monkey island theme being one of those:
    Or the brilliant Cannon Fodder theme:
    Also some of the Portal songs make me want to go back and replay those.

3. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not sure to be honest!

I'll be waiting for the update to play, in the mean time watched a few twitch streams and I am reminded about the the music in the game generally.

While it IS indeed pleasent.. I find it ..er.. Too relaxing? it puts me in a kind of apathetic mood possibly even slightly depressing!

I know its wrong to compare, but I always liked Terrarias querky, arcading type tunes that were catchy and engaging.

With starbounds passive bland colour pallete and its aggresivly serene music, I do find myself getting tired and losing motivation

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Although I do like the music, it is not something that drives me. What drives me to play again when the time comes.... That would be my own imagination and my mood. I am a builder in this genre. So it stands to reason it will be the building aspect that would drive my imagination to play. Then I would just have to consider what mood I am in. That will be the driving point for me to play.

It fits a particular mood and drives my creativity like others in the genre. Or at least all those I believe are in the same genre. The way I see it is all those I lump into the same genre I have a tendency to build in each and every one of them. Also on the same note, I build slightly different; this is due to what is offered to build with. I may tend to build in a certain style, but it is the components that either help or expand what I can do with building itself.

Like with any game though, once I start playing in a session I will continue playing till I feel the need to stop. So in that case it would be more like I go from session to session, or moment to moment. It really varies upon what goals I set forth for myself within that moment/session. I entertain myself, as I am easily entertained with my own overly active imagination. :)

QShadow likes this.
  5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Music is excellent in this game. Would actually like to see some more new tracks added into the game at some point.

SirKaldar and Tamorr like this.
  6. Greatblackshark

Greatblackshark Cosmic Narwhal

I typically turn off the music in games and make my own music with the sound effects of my countless battles. The sweet soothing sounds of my weapon smashing into flesh, bone and armour. The satisfying thud of a newly made corpse hitting the ground after a fatal blow. The satisfying bark of a gun unleashing it's death upon my hapless enemies. The tell tale language spoken by the still living for every successful hit as they inch closer to their ultimate liberation. Music to my ears.

SirKaldar likes this.
  7. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

The music is what originally attracted me (specifically Blue Straggler, Stellar Formation and Vast Immortal Suns).

The mod Variety Is The Spice Of The Universe was what did it for me and made me pick Starbound over Terraria. Too bad the modder up and quit as he burnt out, so it won't be updated to the incoming stable.

8. WMoose

That's a shame. Did he open source it at all so others could continue to develop it? Or just go MIA?

9. Fresh Ears

Fresh Ears Big Damn Hero

OP, I agree fully. I have played a few other games with an extremely successful soundtrack like this one. By successful, I mean a score that blends so well that it is "part of the universe" of its game. A good soundtrack can do a lot to set the mood and feel for me, just as much if not more than the visual artwork. When you have a good game and a good soundtrack, nostalgia happens! I absolutely love the music in Starbound. It has what I call that "x factor." Other soundtracks have done it for me too: Harry Mack did some great work on "Spiral Knights" and of course Uematsu's stuff on Final Fantasy XI is unforgettable.

SirKaldar likes this.
  10. Aegis J Hyena

WMoose: Burnt out fully, disappeared when his computer went belly up, only very very recently returned and left a note. We should organize some way to get it added to vanilla.

Fresh Ears: Agreed on Uematsu. The man's a musical genius.

11. WMoose

Music is definitely the key to all good gaming.

Whenever you think of your favorite video games, generally the first thing that comes to mind is the musical score of the moment you're thinking about.

When someone says Mario, you go: "...Doot doot doot da doot doot, duut."

Music is integral for an interactive experience, and is the reason for the success of such games as;

Crypt of the Necrodancer & Proteus

Especially Proteus. That's a magnificent experience on its own unlike anything you've ever had. It is a virtual reality of musical art.

SirKaldar likes this.
  12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I like the music in this game quite a bit, but feel it needs to be more... situational.

Like, when you walk into a village, you hear a song tuned to that kind of village. Avian, Glitch, Flroan, whatever.

When you enter a dungeon, you get a similarly race-themed tune that indicates danger is around every bend.

As it is, I tend to leave music low to muted only because during long play/build sessions, it gets repetitive.

Fresh Ears likes this.
  13. WMoose

I do agree with this. It would be nice if the planet you're on has its own type of music suited to it. Some do match up nicely, but others seem out of place. That would give even more of a reason to establish a base on a planet versus always living in your ship.

14. Aegis J Hyena

I want the guy who did the original Binding of Issac's music to do music for Starbound. Heh. I tend to mute it, as after the first night the music seems "stuck" on night music until I beam off and back.

15. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I think the music is well made but it's never energetic are unique to me. This is all subjective ofcourse.

16. WMoose

Some of the music pieces are a bit grand for the game, sure. But they fit the mood of the game well. You're alone and exploring large, vast unknown place and planets.

This game has some key music for certain territories that probably could not have been done better. Others have room for improvement.

17. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Too me metroid prime series did that better then again arguing subjective things is really pointless.

It's mostly to me that the music does not change enough during gameplay, also the battle music is not as catchy to me as the random battle music in say pokemon or final fantasy.

18. Peelz

Peelz Giant Laser Beams

It's the music from the starbound menu that gets me. Love that one.

Also, I played through the first mission recently in the nightlies and was pleasantly surprised by the unique soundtrack that accompanied it. Really made that mission amazing!

19. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I sometimes listen to the Apex Theme song on Soundcloud while working. It is that badass.

It's the song I'll be playing to the unwashed masses as I parade through the remnants of the planets I conquered...

20. Paco495

Paco495 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Two of the best games every made for the Amiga....thanks for the memories.
    How great was Canon Fodder? Recruits coming over the hills to fight and right next to them on the hill the tombstones of your fallen Heros.
    Too bad John Hare and crew at Sensible Soccer couldn't make magic on the PC like they did on the Amiga