A question on pigs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by musical74, Sep 10, 2017.

1. musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Yes, it's a question about those truffle-hunting pigs!

If they are outside but enclosed within a fenced area, can they still find truffles? Think my pig is currently too new for truffle-hunting but I was wondering if I have the doors open but enclosed in a fairly small area will they still find truffles, or is it "they need to not be enclosed for it to work"?

I'm kind of thinking "just let them roam and they'll find their way back anyway" but it may be easier to have them all in an enclosed area. What do you all think?

• Icewinde

Icewinde Space Spelunker

They can be fenced in, no problem to find truffles at all.

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Truffles will sometimes appear outside of the fence's perimeter. But yes, as long as they are outside it will happen .

• Jerev

Jerev Pangalactic Porcupine

As far as I know they can find truffles even on the green areas of the forest map which can't be tilled.

• Michelrpg

Michelrpg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As long as they're outside and can walk in the dirt, they can find truffles. I personally keep them in a decent-sized area fenced in, mostly because its easier to collect truffles and not have to scour half my farm to find them.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

^ I'm gonna keep pigs on my current farm and that's what I'm planning to do. In all cases where I've had them before as long as they have dirt to walk on, they can dig up truffles. Sometimes the truffles end up on the outside of the fence or in the unreachable areas of the farm so be careful where you give them access to.

• guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

Another question related to pigs.
                Can a pigs find MORE truffles if they have more farm to explore?

OR

Will they always find the same amount of truffles, no matter how much farm they have to work with.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I believe the amount of truffles the pig finds is tied to it's level of happiness, so the area it has to work with won't make any difference. It'll either try to cram x amount of truffles into a small space, or they'll be all spread around the farm, depending on how much space it's given.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can confirm with my forest farm.

truffles.jpg

I believe that as long as there are free tiles in or one space outside of the fence, they can spawn up to their maximum amount. They can also spawn them on cliffs one tile over, though, so beware.

Edit: I'd have to double-check if this happens again, but I think I've also had truffles spawn on top of stone paths.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
                      wronghandle and LuthienNightwolf like this.
                    • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

One more question on the pigs, kind of suspect I know the answer though...

When you let them out and don't have a fenced-in area, the truffles will be anywhere on the farm? Just wondering if I'll find a truffle by the stumps in the SW corner of the farm, even if the pigs don't go there when they are grazing around...

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes. They will graze around the farm and you'll see truffles in various areas of your farm. They leave them where they find them.

• LadySurly

LadySurly Void-Bound Voyager

Is there any negative to letting your animals just roam free throughout the farm as long as their door is left open to allow them back in at night?

I have a vague memory of foxes attacking or something but don't know if thats just for coop animals or all?

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't believe so. Although every night I'm always very careful to make sure they're accounted for at night because once a bunny never went in at night and I went to bed, then the rest of my playthrough it ALWAYS stayed outside, never inside.

If livestock is locked outside at night then there's a chance wild animals will eat them. But that never happened to my outdoor bunny, so I suspect the chances are low.

• LadySurly

LadySurly Void-Bound Voyager

Aaah good to know - thanks!!

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I can confirm this.
                                They will only be found where the pigs have physically traveled.

Side note; pigs can spawn more than one truffle a day if they are really happy. I've collected up to 50 truffles in one day with 12 pigs.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                                • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

The way pigs spawn truffles works like this: Every pig gets a 60% chance to spawn a truffle and if they do they get an additional chance at the same 60%. Repeat until they fail to dig up a truffle. So a single pig can dig up multiple truffles or no truffles.

• wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Can truffles also spawn on tiles adjacent to the pig? I once found on on the porch steps, and another time on a riverbank tile that I couldn't walk on.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

If a truffle spawns on an invalid/occupied tile the game will move it to a valid or unoccupied one. Even if it's inaccessible. The Riverlands map is especially bad for it. CA made an attempt to prevent that from happening but it still does on occasion.