A question about mining

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Padexin, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Padexin

Padexin Big Damn Hero

I was wondering how big of a thing in starbound mining will be? I have read it will be in the game, and that is not what I am asking. For example, will it be just a thing you can do when you're bored and have nothing else to do, or will it be imperative to advancing in the game?

2. XtremeNinja45

XtremeNinja45 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yea I've wondered about this too

3. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Mining probably will be required in some manner. Probably so you can get some sort of ores to make alloys out of. Also, mining would probably be a good way to find underground goodies, possibly like blueprints to make stuff with, but at the moment we don't know that much about it, if I/We find out more pre-release we will try to inform everyone.

Edit: I generally want to think of it going to be terraria-ish, but without the "added benefit" of stuff becoming useless.

4. XtremeNinja45

just remembered pickaxes and a weird block breaking gun, watch the game play videos and see

5. Admiral Obvious

Yes, apparently there are pickaxes, and probably something more complex than that. Just keep in mind that the block breaker is more of a physics gun, probably not intended for caving.

6. XtremeNinja45

it more like a caving gun for me otherwise it wouldn't break blocks

7. Admiral Obvious

Well, you can use it for caving, It will just be terribly slow.

Pickaxes and stuff will probably be used for the actual mining of rock, and other hard things, like shinies. The block breaker was more intended for a building tool... I think.

The Corrupted [ITA] and Duplo like this.
  8. XtremeNinja45

+
    yes but it doesn't seem slow to me, A pickaxe would seem slower maybe the pickaxe is used before you can craft this gun/block breaker

Admiral Obvious likes this.
  9. Admiral Obvious

That's kinda the point, but, I believe that the block breaker will only work on the "soft stuff" or stuff you put there yourself. We will have to see. Pickaxes will probably be slow as hell, but at least it can mine through rock.

10. XtremeNinja45

maybe they will we'll have to wait and see

11. Padexin

Padexin Big Damn Hero

Thanks for the prompt response. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

12. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

I'm almost positive you need to go mining to gather rescources and craft stuff, in order to advance the game. Sort of like Terraria. The Building Tool CAN break blocks, but will be painfully slow at doing so, therefore is only practical as a building tool.

13. XtremeNinja45

no worries

14. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Guys, in the livestreams they were in admin mode, you could easily mine in admin mode, for all we know it could take ages to mine with the thing normally

15. XtremeNinja45

you could be right, but i wouldn't think so since it is a tech looking thing

16. LazerEagle1

Tiy confirmed that with the Buildig Gun, it places things well, but takes very long to break blocks.

MEWMEW likes this.
  17. XtremeNinja45

where did you find this out

18. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Tiy, the main developer...

19. LazerEagle1

I'm pretty sure he said it on the post with the Building Demo. He may have said it on Twitter though.
    I am 100% positive he said it however

MEWMEW likes this.
  20. XtremeNinja45

its always twitter :D