A PS Vita version

Discussion in 'Other' started by Fadakar, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Fadakar

Fadakar Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, yeah, sounds ridiculous, I know. But after reading up on this game it seems like a perfect fit! Bright, colorful, crisp sprites on that 5' OLED screen, a solid joypad configuration, touch screen and a rear touchpad (don't ask me what this would be used for, I'm just naming features you can take advantage of, or not.)

I've read into it, and word around the water hole is that Sony's SDK for the Vita is really intuitive and easy to use, and they're always eager to help out indie devs who want to publish their work on the Playstation Store.

Anyway, I'm not going to annoy you guys with this, just a mere suggestion. If you guys ever have time, money, and/or assets post-release, there's really no harm in trying is there? :p

Looking forward to this regardless of what platform I play it on. You guys have my purchase!

2. Lasercat77

Lasercat77 Pangalactic Porcupine

I can't see any fault in this. Move with joypad,aim with Rstick/touchscreen,operate menu with touchscreen,M1 with Lshoulder and M2 with Rshoulder

3. Strife

Strife Existential Complex

I was thinking this exact same thing.

Unfortunately, there are several factors that would make this (likely) just a dream.
    • Small User base - It would not be cost effective to recode (as little or large recoding that would be needed) the game for such a small fan base.
    • Distribution - only way to currently get games on the Vita is by PSN or purchased game. The rights to do either would be too much for a small indie team. Also, physical distribution would have a whole new set of legal things to muddle with.
    • Code Access - getting a hold of the Vita's coding would be extremely difficult and very expensive.

Cowskee likes this.
  4. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

Does the Vita support the programme Starbound is being coded in?
    Also while we are at it we should have it on the 3ds Ps3 and most Microwave ovens!
    Just kidding a portable version would be nice but they arnt a company so all the legal issues and access rights and distrobution costs will be much more effort than its worth to access a market dominated by big budget titles.

5. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

It would probably just set back the release of the game a lot... unless the releases were staggered or taken care of by a different team eg. minecraft pocket edition
    All of the things Strife mention pretty much sum up my feelings for this

6. Fadakar

Fadakar Void-Bound Voyager

Here's a PDF that basically sums up the entire development experience with Sony:

http://www.playstation.com/pss/developer/2012GDC-PSSuiteOverview.pdf

Like I said, there's never a rush. Even if we get this 3 years from now when the userbase is a larger and work on the PC title has been finished (hypothetically, of course). It sounds like a solid ecosystem, considering making the development jump once doesn't make it compatible for just the Vita, but an entire array of devices, with more to be announced. I'm not expecting this in the least, but I do know a lot of people are going to flock to this purely just because it's something they can't play anywhere else. The fact that it's going to be downloadable and most likely not $40 means the 100 dollar cost to purchase a license from Sony would be fulfilled within 10 minutes until next year. :p

7. Hostail

Hostail Pangalactic Porcupine

Starbound is coded in C++
    http://playstarbound.com/faq/

Also I believe that it would be awesome with a PS vita version later. For now they should focus more on the game and then when they feel that they can't come up with more for the game they could maybe hire a team to port it or do it themselves.