Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

@Nishtra it's like I wrote before, I am trying to edit the Adventure Guild map and I added the weapons.xnb tile sheet while modding the map on tIDE.
    I understand that is why I get the error, I would just like to overcome it! I've added the console log on a previous post of mine in this thread, if you think you can help me out! I would be very grateful! :)

• Nishtra

Nishtra Big Damn Hero

@Karmylla I'm not sure what could be the problem except the really missing weapons.xnb file. Are you sure that: 1) it has the same name in the map yaml file as in tIDE, 2) tilesheets are listed in the yaml in the same order as in tIDE, 3) the file is in \Content folder 4) the filename doesn't miss any letters or has a wrong extension?

I made a not-really-quick test and managed to make it work without any ritual dances weapons in the guild.jpg
      Though I did encounter a problem when initially tried to add this tilesheet to the Farm map. It seems outdoor areas require some dances

Karmylla and joyous.ariella like this.
      • joyous.ariella

joyous.ariella Space Penguin Leader

Have you tried just adding tiles to an existing tile sheet and having it pull from that?

Karmylla likes this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Yeah, stardews seasonal tilesheet handling is very weird, there is a good reason I completely threw it out for ALL..... :p

Karmylla likes this.
          • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

I feel stupid you guys. The file was NOT in the Content folder! It was on the Tilesheet folder!
            Ffs, I'm sorry I bothered you guys, thank you @Nishtra for helping me!
            I just copied the file and added it to the Content folder, but since I want to keep my mod as simple as possible, is there a way I can edit the yaml file (or something else) so that it won't ask for the weapons xnb file inside the Content folder, but the one inside the Tilesheet folder?

• fudge5962

fudge5962 Phantasmal Quasar

So whenever I go to use the Lay Individual Tiles tool, it does literally nothing. Nothing. If I want to change a single tile, I have to use the block tool and only select one tile. Is this normal?

• Nishtra

Nishtra Big Damn Hero

The game looks for resource files in the Content folder by default and all tilesheets used by standard maps have copies in Content aside from Content\Maps, so I would say "probably no". I mean, you can manipulate tilesheets with SMAPI, but it makes a mod only more complicated

Karmylla likes this.
                • joyous.ariella

joyous.ariella Space Penguin Leader

Once you click on "lay individual tiles," you have to select one from a tilesheet on the left. All of the buttons on the right select a tool, but you still need to pick a tile to lay down.
                  You can also use the dropper to copy a tile already on the map.

Also, make sure you are in the proper layer. You might be having problems if you are laying tiles "behind" a layer which has tiles in the same spot.

Hope that helps!

• tiffy961

tiffy961 Pangalactic Porcupine

I was wondering if one of you clever people could have a look at this please?

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Hello everyone! I would like to edit the Wizard_House map, but it seems some things are hardcoded, like the fire in the cauldron, the fire in the fireplace, the green smoke and the warp location to and from the Wizard's basement. I would like to know if I can edit these things in anyway, and if yes, which file do I work with? I've been trying to find it, but I'm a little lost.
                      Maybe this needs SMAPI?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
                      • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Not currently within the ability to easily edit, not impossible, but quite a massive undertaking nontheless.

Karmylla likes this.
                        • Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

@Entoarox okay, I am committed to try something out, even though it might be hard! I might be able to do something worthwhile to share with the community, so it's worth a shot!
                          Could you share your knowledge on the subject, please? And must I do a SMAPI mod or can I keep things 'simple'?
                          Thank you for the help!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You need a SMAPI mod, and EntoaroxFramework, then you need to create a custom location that re-implements all the coded behavior of the WizardTower location, then override the original with your custom one, and tell people using your mod they cant stop using it without the save breaking.

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

@Entoarox well! It seems I've got a lot to study, work on and cry about! I can't wait! Thank you for the heads up!
                              But, could you just explain to me what you meant when you wrote
                              I didn't quite understand. You mean that by using my mod they will have issues saving their game?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

In order to replace the wizards tower, you need to create a new one, but SDV doesnt know about this "new" tower unless your mod tells the game about it (Hence why you need EntoFramework, that lets you tell the game)
                                So once your mod is removed, the game no longer knows about your mod, so if someone tries to load a save that used your mod, the game will crash because it doesnt know what is meant by this abstract value it doesnt understand.

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

Oh damn, really? I can imagine how annoying that could be... And there is nothing I can do to prevent that issue?

• Nishtra

Nishtra Big Damn Hero

I haven't really checked, but smoke and fires should be TemporaryAnimatedSprite-s. So wouldn't it be easier to just regularly check and change positions of necessary sprites while the player is in the wizard's tower? Not sure about warp action though.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You could do that yes, but the cauldron effect is on a 100ms loop, in order to accurately keep it in the new spot, you would have to constantly observe and override the loop, and as the loop uses a private value, the reflection to do this would have quite a lot of impact.

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

How about not changing the cauldron effect, could I make @Nishtra 's idea work and just change the TemporaryAnimatedSprite-s? But I don't know if its position would change if I made the map bigger...
                                        From what I've checked, to change the warp position I would just have to change the x,y position in the Wizard_House and the Wizard_Basement in each code associated with this action. I presume that this code is in a file in the Data folder and not hardcoded but I could be wrong, I haven't checked, sorry.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

The warp on the tower side is a custom tile action, so a SMAPI mod would be needed to replace that if you want to move the basement.
                                          The basement side should just be a normal Warp and editable like all warps through the map properties.

The cauldron effect *is* the temporary sprites, a new sprite is created every 100ms to create the proper smoke effect, so in order to intercept the particles the moment they are spawned, you need to observe the counter, and the counter is a private field, so you need reflection to read it, and reflection is incredibly slow compared to normal code.

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.