Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOHNKRELL007

JOHNKRELL007 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I thought that grey wall was some kind of barrier to the map, and the buildings are the green house and farm house, what's under them seem kinda weird, like why would your house have fences under it?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You cant move either of those, as their positions are hardcoded into the game location itself.

• TheRaven81

TheRaven81 Pangalactic Porcupine

This is some info I recently acquired from a friend on the SDV discord, and I thought it might be useful to people:

"What are all of the legal layers of a SDV map, what order do they go in, and what special functions do they have, if any?"

There are 5 layers one can work with:
        1. AlwaysFront
        2. Front
        3. Paths
        4. Buildings
        5. Back
        Most of them are self explanatory:
        • Back is all tiles you Can walk on top of
        • Buildings are tiles that you can't walk over at all, it'll block you
        • Paths is the layer where things like NPC Tracks, and spawn positions for debris, Grass, Bushes, and Trees(Oak, Maple, Spruce) go. Only uses the tiles from the paths tilesheet.
        • Front is things rendered above your character and AlwaysFront are rendered above that
        • AlwaysFront are only really used for maps with a large outside scene
        The only special features to layers come with Buildings and Back
        • Buildings is the only layer to have "Action" as a settable parameter
        • Back is the only layer to have "TouchAction" as a settable parameter

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
          joyous.ariella likes this.
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

** a SMAPI mod could add extra visual layers behind the Back and in front of the AlwaysFront layer without impacting the vanilla rendering

IronZelly and joyous.ariella like this.
          • TheRaven81

My post says "legal layers". That means the ones you can use without your silly SMAPI magic.

joyous.ariella likes this.
            • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

SMAPI magicing them doesnt make them illegal layers, it simply means they wont work on vanilla, but since XNB modding is messing with vanilla, the same can be said for any mod :p

• AngryCat

AngryCat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm working on a collection of "Expanded Farms" (3/5 farms complete so far), and beta testing has found that you can't build in the new space I added.
                Is there something I can edit to fix that, to make the extra space register with Robin?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Nope, there is no magic way to let you build in locations other then the Farm location, you need to do a LOT of work with SMAPI in order to allow that, and even then it isnt perfect.

• JOHNKRELL007

JOHNKRELL007 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

could you somehow merge them with the normal farm maps?

• AngryCat

In what way?

• Nishtra

Nishtra Big Damn Hero

I think in the case of AngryCat's maps it's still a Farm location since they are just larger versions of existing farm maps.

On quick glance I couldn't see anything in code that references the size of farm map or otherwise gives explicit restrictions on tiles that can be used for building. The only thing I noticed - buildable tiles should have properties "Buildable" set to "t" and "Diggable" set to any value (true or false doesn't matter, it just should be listed).

Edit: Wow, I was actually right. I changed tile properties on the Rolling Hills map and extra territory was available for building.
                        2016-11-23_22-47-31.jpg 2016-11-23_22-47-48.jpg 2016-11-23_22-49-03.jpg 2016-11-23_22-49-50.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
                          AngryCat likes this.
                        • AngryCat

Huh, good to know! I'll have to go through and update them to fix that - thank you!

• KATpwnd

KATpwnd Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, I was planning on adding an extra character so I wanted to add a house to the town. I made sure that it wouldn't interfere with any of the walkpatterns of the villagers and such but I can't start my game anymore. I even tried with a new saveslot.
                            Does anyone know what I can do against this or where I went wrong?

• TheRaven81

is there an error log we can see?

• KATpwnd

It simply says that the game stopped working as soon as I want to load a saveslot or want to start a new game. :/

• TheRaven81

are you using SMAPI at all? Maybe there will be an error in the console that we can go off of...

• KATpwnd

no, I'm not. All I used was tIDE and Notepad++ to add the tilesheets. But I'm rather new to the whole coding thing so I'm not quite sure if I forgot a step or if I need SMAPI to add something. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here but I was just trying to get familiar with the whole thing ;w;

• TheRaven81

It's ok. If you are willing, you could post your files here, and we can take a look at them, maybe find the problem.

• TheRaven81

• KATpwnd

Would you still be there in about an hour or so? Gotta get myself something to eat now so yeah
                                        And I'd be really grateful for that!

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.